New Actiontec v1000H modem/router ISSUE, can not change Lan Ip address - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-25, 01:22 AM
Rookie

wiremonkey,

Well, not the nicest way to put it, but I agree, optik is not for everyone. Anyone who want's to use their own gear may find they spend more time battling with telus then enjoying the service you pay for.

On that note, just a correction to your statement:
"We're giving you free Install" <-- No you're not. I pay for the service, having it setup is part of that fee.

Moving on, I think a good majority of the Telus issues are based around the fact that when you call to sign up for the service, the minions answering the phone are not very forth coming with what restrictions may be in place prior to sending out a tech to actually do the install. Either they don't know, or just choose not to say (and when you mention you have servers, it would be mildly considerate to at least mention they block all the good ports...a different rant though)
The same applies for hardware upgrades. They do not tell you that you may lose certain abilites (such as controlling your own DHCP) that where not a problem with previous equipment.
Now it may be stated that "that's not their job", but that's a matter of opinion. Telus get's paid for a service, unless you are in violation of that service it's none of their business how you use it. However yes, it is up their tech's support if it changes! Unfortunately, the outcome will become "not supported". They don't know why it doesn't work, the users don't know why, so it's just "not supported". Sure wish I could get away with that excuse when I can't figure something out.
Fact is they have been complained too enough about this that it is a known issue. If telus was forthcoming with this information however, they would most likely not be able to enroll as many customers, and enter much fewer contracts. However they can keep on cashing out on the existing ones.

So in summary "Optik T.V is not for me" (getting that on a t-shirt btw). I am taking my subnets, routers, and servers back to shaw. Charge me for the extra bandwidth. At least I'll spend time using the service as opposed to researching why it doesn't work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Incoming voip calls busy (same problem with as MrDaniels)

I used to have a Telus 2Wire that worked great with my VOIP phone. When it died I received a replacement Actiontec router which caused one problem with my VOIP phone. I can make outgoing calls and retrieve my voicemail but incoming calls go straight to voicemail (or busy if the voicemail is disabled) Setting up the SIP ATA on DMZ did not help. Telus will only support the advanced configuration and my voip provider says there is nothing wrong on their end. Since the only change was the Telus gateway I would love some help getting my phone service back normal.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-05-30, 05:00 PM

I've my VoIP behind my Optik and ir works just fine for incoming calls.

It shouldn't be necessary to put the ata device in DMZ, but I would recommend it just to make things easier. BTW, make sure you put a strong admin password there, just to be safe.

Could you please give more details about VoIP provider, ATA device, ports etc?

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-06-05, 02:01 AM
Rookie

Could be due to the flakey UPnP service on the Actiontec that likes to crash.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Talking

I just logged into the Actiontec via 192.168.1.254 in my web browser. I was surprised to see that it already had the latest firmware installed and I was prompted to change user and password. I then went into the Wireless and turned everything off, found the Upnp and turned it off. I went and turned on the DMZ and be sure to click on the "Apply" before leaving any of these pages and wait for the Actiontec to update and return before moving on.
I plugged in my router to ethernet 1 port of the Actiontec but no connection.
I went back into the Actiontec and set up the DMZ with the assigned IP address that was given to my router. Clicked on Apply and exited back to my router which was now connected and providing wireless to my laptop. I then plugged in my Linksys Voip to the WAN port on my router, not the Actiontec and it works fine. All wired and wireless IP addresses are provided by my router through it's ethernet ports or wireless connections. The VOIP works through the WAN port of my router and behind the Actiontec

P.S. Please note : I did not download or install any firmware from any website. The latest firmware was already installed prior to me getting the Actiontec so those who have the old firmware installed, you may want to trade it out for another Actiontec that has the latest firmware installed or buy an Actiontec and install the latest firmware yourself.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Using Netgear WNDR3700 with Optik TV and Actiontec V1000H

The D-Link DVA-G3810BN/TL kept flaking out on us; we were losing TV and Internet with increasing freqeuncy. I called up Telus and they came by with the Actiontec V1000H to replace the D-Link and modem. The Telus installer apparently looked at our Cat 6 patch panel, 24-port gigabit switch, etc. and decided he'd just leave the box with my wife and let me figure it out when I got back from work.

To summarize, I didn't see a way to add static DHCP assignments or DNS on the Actiontec, so it wasn't going to work for me. I was also not going to change my LAN from 192.168.1.x: 2 desktops, 5 laptops, Synology NAS, LaserJet 5Si/MX, Soundbridge, Squeezebox Radio, PS3, PSP, iPad, Blackberry. After a bit of investigation, I found this link that allows you to change the LAN IP of the Actiontec: http://192.168.1.254/advancedsetup_lanipaddress.html

PLEASE NOTE: If you set the Actiontec V1000H LAN IP to 192.168.0.x, it appears that Optik TV will not work. So I set the V1000H LAN IP to 192.168.2.254. I also disabled wireless, UPNP, Firewall, etc. I decided to make the Netgear WNDR3700 WAN address 192.168.2.1, so I configured this IP as the DMZ on the Actiontec.

I then configured my Netgear WAN IP as 192.168.2.1, with 192.168.2.254 as the gateway and DNS server. The Netgear LAN IP is 192.168.1.1, and it's now back doing DHCP, Wireless, Port Forwarding, etc.

The Netgrear WNDR3700 is plugged into LAN port 2 on the Actiontec V1000H, while the Cisco PVR is connected to LAN Port 1.

So far so good, as I'm now basically treating the Actiontec as a modem.

Last edited by ObeliskAG; 2011-10-06 at 06:05 PM.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-10-21, 01:46 AM
Rookie

Exactly what I was looking to do, THANKS!!

SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeliskAG View Post
PLEASE NOTE: If you set the Actiontec V1000H LAN IP to 192.168.0.x, it appears that Optik TV will not work. So I set the V1000H LAN IP to 192.168.2.254. I also disabled wireless, UPNP, Firewall, etc. I decided to make the Netgear WNDR3700 WAN address 192.168.2.1, so I configured this IP as the DMZ on the Actiontec.

I then configured my Netgear WAN IP as 192.168.2.1, with 192.168.2.254 as the gateway and DNS server. The Netgear LAN IP is 192.168.1.1, and it's now back doing DHCP, Wireless, Port Forwarding, etc.

The Netgrear WNDR3700 is plugged into LAN port 2 on the Actiontec V1000H, while the Cisco PVR is connected to LAN Port 1.

So far so good, as I'm now basically treating the Actiontec as a modem.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-10-22, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Could not use IP 192.168.2.254 as it was causing random issues with Optic TV. I Changed to the default IP 192.168.1.254 and all is well..

SD
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-10-24, 03:24 AM
Rookie

Well that didn't work out too well :-(

Getting past the double NAT lifestyle (PS3 worked fine), routing through both the Netgear and the Actiontec resulted in the Actiontec deciding to reset itself once or twice a day. So I ended up with the following configuration:

I flashed the Netgear WNDR3700 to use DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std. Everything is now on the 192.168.1.x subnet, as follows:
Netgear with DD-WRT, 192.168.1.1 providing: DHCP, DNS, UPnP, Wireless
CiscoPVR, 192.168.1.50
Actiontec, 192.168.1.254 providing: Routing, firewall (low), port forwarding to NAS, scheduled access (restricting wireless netbook access)

While this was far too much annoyance, everything has been running now for a couple of weeks without issue.

I do object that there is no firewall logging information available to me from the Actiontec, and that overall, configuration options are extremely limited; certainly much more constrained than the previous D-Link model provided by Telus. In the ideal world I would like to be able to buy my own device, and have Telus publish the VLAN/QOS parameters for supporting the OptikTV IPTV service, and then provide just the modem.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 01:24 PM
Rookie

I had to make an account to make a post in this thread. seems a fair bit of my searches bring me to this forums anyway.

I run the IT department for a municipality in AB and due to these new modems the town will be moving off Telus services. After the business end not listening to a specified date needed to roll IP's on a line upgrade, we lost dns/exchange for a day. Then the plain old jane modem was replaced with one of these new pieces of garbage without our consent blew apart the networking in place. We lost VPN and other LDAP/AD services and half the network had to be rebuilt to support a new IP range cause Telus refused to listen to the needs of an entire municipality.

When wiremonkey says suck it up, regardless if it was on Telus' behalf or not it's enough to hold back some rather distasteful words. We are paying a LOT of money / month to not get listened to or have our opinions matter. Is why why are changing providers cause lets face it i don't need Optik for my servers, i needed what i had before not being given a choice on my network @ work and @ home. I've advised all town staff that need functionality to do with the VPN to do so as well.

Bottom line is these modems are not all that great. Telus does not make any glorious firmware changes, they take the existing firmware and restrict it. They did it on the seimens and the previous 2wire models that support would often tell you "Turn of WPA and use WEP" Serious? I had all WEP passwords broken in my area in a day... That's what I should use at home and at work?!?

Taking away features is ignorant especially when people say oh that's all they need. When you buy a car you don't let the dealer take off reflectors cause they think they're unneeded. It's a lesson Telus will have to learn as they lose customers by not listening to them or their needs. It's already cost them more then several thousand a month this month alone. So this time people lose the ability to do any form of basic VPN without third party software, next time? Who knows..
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 06:28 PM
Veteran

Are they giving these modems out for their business plans now as well? If so, then I can definitely understand your frustrations with this, and think that it's a really, really bad idea. I don't think it's fair to restrict the modems this much even on a residential plan, but think it's an absolute no-no if business customers are being forced to deal with the same thing.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Exclamation UPDATE : Actiontec V000H

It would appear that Telus is paying attention to a lot of replies on the forums as everytime a possible solution gets posted, Telus goes to whatever lengths to make sure there will be problems for anyone using VOIP other than theirs.
You can no longer go into advanced setup and change the IP address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254 or any other IP address. Forbidden access will now appear.
For those thinking this problem is related to the Actiontec, I swapped out this moden/router and went back to the older Speedtouch 516v and I actually got a slight increase in speed but same problem with my Voip as I can call out and talk to anyone but I can't receive calls so this is Telus doing it's best to limit what you use and how you use it. Seems the CRTC is just as ignorant and oblivious to what Telus does while they do everything to increase their profit margins. Can't wait to move out of this area as I will be looking for another service provider as I don't see 50 bucks a month in the Telus internet service.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 02:01 AM
Rookie

Well, I spent a long time waiting on hold with Telus, pretty much an hour talking with their tech support, to simply change the IP subnet address of my router.. finally they told me they don't do that unless I upgrade to the commercial account. That is not going to happen. I told the guy I will have to go to Shaw then, because it's the only way I can get VPN access to a remote router that has an IP of 192.168.1.1... he basically didn't say anything, and I told him I would call to cancel tomorrow (office was closed) and he ended by saying "Thanks for choosing Telus" LOL!

Anyways, I spent a little bit longer and found this gem of a site:

http://keithbalomben.wordpress.com/2...d-information/

Log in as a tech, and you can change the IP of your router. Sorry Telus, but it's absolutely rediculous to tell a customer that has taken an hour of their time to do something which is absolutely entirely possible, and tell them it's not possible??? I did it myself.. I hope this helps other people out there who find themselves in the same spot I was in.

O btw, VPN works great now.. no thanks to Telus.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 04:12 AM
Rookie

Angry 11-months left on my Telus contract...

"You can no longer go into advanced setup and change the IP address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254 or any other IP address. Forbidden access will now appear."

Wow! I'm almost speechless.

While I have already done what I reasonably can to work around this Actiontec garbage, this demonstration that Telus is doing what they can to reduce functionality further is infuriating.

It was bad enough that after requiring a replacement Telus router (D-Link), the functionality was greatly reduced (Actiontec). Now we see Telus observing that while we struggle to integrate Optik TV / Internet into our existing LAN environments, they are actively doing what they can to make this as difficult as possible!?!

If I had any thoughts of staying with Telus after the end of the contract period, I need to reconsider. As an organization, Telus clearly does not care about causing a great deal of inconvenience to me as a customer.

If anyone at Telus is reading this: It's time to facilitate customers being able to choose their own router/firewall equipment and stop insisting that we use this substandard Telus provided crap! Publish the requirements that need to be met for IPTV compatibility and let's just get on with it.

NB. I made it clear to Eastlink that while they may not have been concerned with CRTC regulations regarding redistribution of local in-the-clear HDTV stations as unencrypted basic service, some of us are aware of the rules. While I'm not immediately aware of any regulatory impediments of Telus precluding users from picking their own Intenet security devices, it may be a cause worth investigating...
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 08:55 PM
Rookie

In all honesty, I would recommend an aftermarket Zyxel modem and forego the Actiontec gateways. It won't be a relevant fix for Optik TV users, but quite a few people have gone that route and had success.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in