Apple Time Capsule w/ Telus *or* Shaw? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-09-04, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Apple Time Capsule w/ Telus *or* Shaw?

Hello there, I'm currently w/ Telus (on an old slow internet plan) and was thinking of upgrading to a new package w/ either Telus or a move to Shaw. Right now I'm leaning towards Telus as Shaw can't match their offer...but considering my opinion of Telus in the past I'd prefer to go w/ Shaw.

One thing that concerns me is I'm wondering how the new Telus system plays w/ a Time Capsule. Telus has offered me a new router but I'm sticking w/ my TC no matter what happens. Anyone have any experience w/a that unit w/ both Telus or Shaw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-09-04, 09:52 AM

There are many people that have used their own routers on the new Telus system, including the Apple Time Capsule. You can turn the wireless off on the Telus router and just use your own router. There are configuration tips in the Telus TV forum that you should read when you do the setup.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-09-04, 12:33 PM

I had a 2Tb Time Capsule for a short while.

A better solution for me was a Netgear WNDR3700 and a Synology 110j NAS & Seagate 2Tb drive.

This does everything a Time Capsule does plus much more and PC / Linux support.

Bill
My blog

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 12:58 AM
Rookie

I have the Thompson router (no WIFI) from Telus + Airport Express, I don't think you can use this router with Telus TV anymore now that it's Optik, but I could be wrong.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-09-20, 01:24 AM
Rookie

i have a time capsule and telus. the sent me a modem without wirless and it works really well except for the fact that every other day i have to power cycle the time capsule because it loses the ip (at least that is what i think happens). anyone have any ideas for me.

cheers

mike
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 04:00 PM

Mike, I have a similar issue:

Apple Airport Extreme and Telus high speed (up to 15 mbps) with the Thompson Speedtouch moden.

I have to cycle (restart) the Airport router daily , sometimes twice a day, to reconnect to the internet.

I also find that when playing music, hosted on an HP EX985 MSS with my Logitech Squeezebox Touch music player, I frequently get dropouts in the music. It is connected with ethernet and the Airport Extreme is the router for this 10/100/1000 network. I never had such issues with my previous D-Link wireless N router (single band).

Honestly, I am about to take Apple out behind the barn on this. They sent me a new Airport Extreme a month or two ago, so I am actually on my second unit. Very frustrating.

I also am keen on any insight others can offer...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 07:05 PM
Rookie

I just got hooked up with Telus yesterday and the tech told me the Time Capsule probably wouldn't work, but I figured that was a lame situation, so... after he left I plugged my Time Capsule into one of the regular LAN ports on the back of the Telus router, then set the Time Capsule to run in Bridge Mode and it works perfectly. So, I have my network running exactly the way it was when I was with Shaw.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 11:34 AM
Rookie

Time Capsule bridge mode

jknoftle just wondering about your setup. With the Time Capsule in bridge mode, do your wifi devices connect via the Time Capsule or to the SE567? Is the TC just set up to extend the network, or does it provide the wireless signal instead of the SE567? I'd like to set up my network where the SE567 just acts like a modem and not a router like a cable modem would.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 04:09 PM

mike, found my answer.

in the Airport Extreme setup, you can set up to retain the IP address from your provider for 7 days. Mine was set to 1 day, so it would look every 24 hours and get hung up.

I did this just before Christmas and I haven't had an issue since.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 10:58 PM
Rookie

Currently use a telus Thompson router and an Airport Extreme (gigabit, dual band). Never had an issue. But if you are using a time capsule with telus's routers/modems combo then you have to make sure the Time Capsule or Airport Extreme is set as bridge mode with the wifi of the telus router/modem or if you are connecting via ethernet to the telus router/modem that is handling the DHCP then you have to turn off DHCP on the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme and make it into basically a switch/access point.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-08-05, 04:12 AM
Rookie

CamRN,

Sorry for the late reply...I have my TC set to extend the network. The devices then will pick up the WiFi signal that is strongest (closest) to it. It works seemlessly. I am now about to hook up a 2nd TC to the system...hope it works just as easily.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 03:39 AM

Should be no issue with using a Time Capsule with an Actiontec on OptikTV service either. I've had a number of customers with TCs and they've never had an issue using it. Just plug the TCs WAN into the Actiontec's LAN and it should be good to go. I usually turn off the Actiontec's wifi if they prefer to use Airport.

The Actiontec V1000H is currently TELUS's default modem/router used in the delivery of OptikTV. VDSL2 capable with a 4 port 10/100/1000 LAN, wi-fi is N.

It uses the 192.168.1.1-254 address range with the gateway address being 192.168.1.254. The Actiontec is set to this range and can't be altered by the user. If your router uses the same range you must change the range of your router to avoid network conflicts. You can also DMZ your TC in the Actiontec if you require port forwarding to the internet.

- another TELUS tech
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Telus Actiontech with Time Capsule + Network Printed

I've talked to 4 telus tech guys and had two technicians sent to my apartment and so far you Wiremonkey provided me with the most useful info re my Actiontech and TC situation. Thanks a lot.

I set up my TC with Actiontech exactly how you suggested (though I really don't understand why the Actiontech router cannot be simply disabled so that it works only as a modem) but still cannot get my network printer to work (my TC doesn't see it). Any ideas why? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jakub
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-08-25, 05:17 AM
Rookie

Q about Lee_Roy's comment: if you are connecting via ethernet to the telus router/modem that is handling the DHCP then you have to turn off DHCP on the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme and make it into basically a switch/access point.

1) So in this set up, is the wifi coming from the Time Capsule or the Telus modem/router?
I want to use the Time Capsule as the router because it is supposed to be faster.
2) How do you turn off DHCP on the Time Capsule?
3) When I set up the Time Capsule in Airport Utility, i chose to replace the current network but gave it a new password. I also set up a new guest network. But the guest network is not working. The original/current network still works with the old password. What have I done wrong? I connected the Time Capsule via ethernet cable to the telus router/modem. The Time Capsule is backing up my files with Time Machine currently, and the green light is on. Looks like it is connected. Why is the wifi still working with the old password, and new guest network not working?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-08-25, 06:56 AM
Rookie

update to the last post: after an hour after I set up the Time Capsule, I do see that my original network requires me to enter the new password I had set up.
However, the guest network is still not working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in