Telus Highspeed security - no 64 bit version - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy Telus Highspeed security - no 64 bit version

A quick FYI for those out there with Telus ADSL... their current security suite (free with service) does not work on any of the new 64 bit PCs.

I found this out the hard way when I was trying to install it last night on my new computer. The tech I spoke to said it wasn't available and he didn't know when.

I guess it's AVG for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:31 PM
Veteran

64 bit PCs or 64 bit operating systems?
A 64 bit PC can run a 32 bit operating system.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry... 64 bit OS.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 12:22 AM

Comodo Internet Security/Firewall/Antivirus have 64 bit for XP/Vista, Avast Antivirus home edition is 64 bit too, both are free.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 02:26 AM

Quote:
...both are free.
Not to mention 10x better than any garbage telus/shaw/any other ISP dredged up to give away! Comodo and Avast are a great combo, I've never even glanced at the "security suite" shaw offers. Highly recommended!

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 09:21 AM

Not sure what security package Telus is rebranding. As an aside, Shaw's is F-Secure which is a pretty well respected security suite. If Telus is rebranding a similar grade product, I wouldn't call it garbage.

On the free side, I would take a look at Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It is has an extremely small footprint, does not seem to have any system performance impact, and the beta drew rave reviews from some fairly well respected places. Comodo is excellent, but use the advanced setup, not the basic.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I believe Telus uses Zero Knowledge (I know, kind of ironic isn't it? )
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Two images come to mind, Sergeant Shultz on Hogan's Heros and also those 3 monkeys. ;-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-10-01, 02:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Comodo Internet Security/Firewall/Antivirus have 64 bit for XP/Vista, Avast Antivirus home edition is 64 bit too, both are free.
I use, Comodo Firewall and Avast AV for 64 bit XP. For 32 bit XP systems I use Online Armor and Avast. All are free. Comodo is actually a security suite (firewall + AV) but the AV is a little weaker than Avast. Secunia PSI is also a good security product to have installed.

I would never install software provided by an internet provider without a careful review of it's usefulness. I've seen a number of XP systems bricked by install disks. The "free" software is often not needed and is usually loaded with adware.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 02:53 AM

Small & Fast

Quote:
On the free side, I would take a look at Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It is has an extremely small footprint, does not seem to have any system performance impact, and the beta drew rave reviews from some fairly well respected places. Comodo is excellent, but use the advanced setup, not the basic.
I dumped all the big commercial and ISP crap.

Lovin' Sunbelts VIPRE.
Beuaty is it works on all my servers 2008 & 2003 as well as all clients, XP to 7 and 32/64 bit.
Great deal on unlimited home site license for us geeks with a load of computers as well.

BTW, just been offered the Telus highspeed.

Tags
64 bit , security , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in