What Happens to My Email Address? - Telus High Speed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2009-09-16, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question What Happens to My Email Address? - Telus High Speed

I am less than a week away from the installation of Shaw High Speed Internet, and with that, the cancellation of my Telus High Speed Internet. I have been with Telus for over 10 years and I am wondering what happens when someone sends email to my current address after I have cancelled. Does Telus offer forwarding? Does it stay active?

For those that inevitably will ask, I am switching because I am finally fed up with Telus only being able to offer High Speed Lite in my area (256 kbps). I put up with it for way to long, expecting it to improve, but now with a new computer, it feels like I am on dial up.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-16, 02:04 AM
Veteran

I cannot say what Telus offers but things like email addresses are usually lost when ISPs are changed. I've had it happen a couple of times. You should start now to switch all your registered Telus email addresses, online accounts and contacts over to another email address. If the new Shaw address is not available, a free web based service such as gmail or yahoo mail could be used. Otherwise, access to some services could be lost.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Old 2009-09-16, 02:27 AM

That's why everyone that can should spend $10-15/year for a custom .ca domain and register it through a registrar that mail forwards for free. Change providers you just change for ex. [email protected] to forward to [email protected] instead of the previous [email protected]

No need to develop the domain, just forward the email to your current email address.

Old 2009-09-16, 05:20 AM

Or save the $15 a year and just use Gmail. Gmail can be integrated with all the standard email software, Outlook, Windows mail etc etc.
Old 2009-09-16, 07:45 AM
Member #1

Quote:
what happens when someone sends email to my current address after I have cancelled.
It's accepted by Telus and deleted. A reply saying it's no longer an active email account may be sent back to the sending ISP but that depends on how the organization decides to deal with such issues.

Old 2009-09-16, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlocke
Or save the $15 a year and just use Gmail. Gmail can be integrated with all the standard email software, Outlook, Windows mail etc etc.
And if you don't want to use Gmail anymore?

I did what Dennis suggests, oh, about 10 years ago, and it is among the best $10 per year that I spend.
Old 2009-09-16, 11:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It's accepted by Telus and deleted.
Ouch That is not correct. If Telus does not want to forward the email, the email account should be deleted and email bounced back. Even better, they could forward the email for a fee or a set time. Canadian ISPs just have no netiquette.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Old 2009-09-16, 11:20 PM

pretty sure you can keep address for 5 bucks a month. Why would anyone want to leave gmail ? The domain is the best solution if you dont mind spending a few bucks
Old 2009-09-17, 01:50 AM

I had someone tell me that Shaw email addresses stay active for a year after the account is terminated. Not sure how accurate that is.
Old 2009-09-17, 08:05 AM
Member #1

Quote:
That is not correct. If Telus does not want to forward the email, the email account should be deleted and email bounced back. Even better, they could forward the email for a fee or a set time. Canadian ISPs just have no netiquette.
Yes it is correct. Even if the email account is deleted or non-existent, they must accept the email in order to determine if the account is active or not. Once its determined the account is and then to bounce back a reply.

Here is a sample of what gets bounced back from an invalid account from Gmail. In this case it was for an invalid email address ([email protected])

Quote:
The original message was received at Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:43:44 -0400 from [xx.xx.xx.xx]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>
(reason: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try <<< 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
<<< 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
<<< 550 5.1.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...py?answer=6596 2si222217iwn.3 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown <<< 503 5.5.1 RCPT first. 2si222217iwn.3
In this case, gmail has received the email and determined the recipients email address is invalid and bounced back a reply. Presumably the original email is then deleted.

Old 2009-09-17, 09:04 AM
Veteran

I did not mean that in was incorrect, as in that is not what they do. I meant that simply deleting the email is not correct procedure. Returning the email with a notice, as described in the gmail example, is the correct procedure. Some, if not most, mail servers will return the original email as an attachment.

Old 2009-09-17, 09:45 AM
Member #1

Quote:
I did not mean that in was incorrect
Not sure how "That is not correct" can mean anything different.

Quote:
I meant that simply deleting the email is not correct procedure.
And that is not what I said. I said they typically reply back but the nature of response depends on how the organization decides to deal with such issues. Most will bounceback but NOT all will.

Quote:
Some, if not most, mail servers will return the original email as an attachment.
Again this is dependent on the organization. My experience is that few do that anymore. Many return the headers but not the entire message.

Old 2009-09-17, 10:07 AM
Veteran

1) If you want to leave gmail (who knows why anyone would want to but anyway...) then just forward your gmail to your new address. You can still own the account forever and just have it forward.

2) You can get your own .com from someone like 1&1 for about $10/year (I think it's US$7.95 or something). Not only can you permanently have [email protected] but your can setup up to 400 email forwards. That helps control spam as if you want to sign up for some web site, you don't give them your real email address, you just create an alias. I usually use [email protected]. Then if you're done with that web site or if they're spaming you, you just kill the forward. Basically, everytime you register for something online, you give them a distinct email address.

Stay away from ISP based email addresses.
Old 2009-09-17, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of-Calgary
1) If you want to leave gmail (who knows why anyone would want to but anyway...) then just forward your gmail to your new address. You can still own the account forever and just have it forward.

2) You can get your own .com from someone like 1&1 for about $10/year (I think it's US$7.95 or something). Not only can you permanently have [email protected] but your can setup up to 400 email forwards. That helps control spam as if you want to sign up for some web site, you don't give them your real email address, you just create an alias. I usually use [email protected]. Then if you're done with that web site or if they're spaming you, you just kill the forward. Basically, everytime you register for something online, you give them a distinct email address.

Stay away from ISP based email addresses.
I do this as well. It's the only way to go. Life is so easy this way. Just go pay the $10 per year.
Old 2009-09-17, 10:40 PM

Just for fun, I checked one or two canadian sites (I'm not against the US ones, I guess there's no difference if it's just being used for email) and it seems like their prices PER MONTH were around $5-10

Tags
cancel , internet , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in