Here's a new one... (Telus overline problem) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Here's a new one... (Telus overline problem)

At my office I have three Telus lines in an overline configuration. Today we noticed an issue I've never dealt with before. I was using line 3 and a call came in on line 1. As it rang, I heard a loud buzzing sound on line 3. A colleague answered line 1 and I was able to faintly hear her conversation!

I swapped lines 1 and 2 on my PBX. The problem then existed on 2 and 3, telling me that the PBX was not the problem.

I called Telus who said they would run a line test and call me back. They never called me back, so I called them. They say they will be sending a tech on Monday or Tuesday.

Has anyone seen this before? What causes it and can I fix it myself?

m.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like this is called crosstalk. I don't think I've caused it as the wires are all in the same place they've been for 10+ years. We'll see on Monday or Tuesday though.

m.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 02:17 PM

Location: Shaw employee. My thoughts are my own and not my employers.
What a way to answer your own question...

What type of wiring is it....Cat5 twisted; Cat3 Twisted; the old school wiring (red, green, black, yellow); or, Party line (Red, yellow, blue).

If it's anything other than a twisted pair, you may have a problem. Also, how do you know it's not your PBX. Did you disconnect your PBX and initiate a phone call from the Demarc point? Or are you just guessing?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Hehe. Good point. Guess I should pick up some kind of line tester so I can tell for sure. Telus should be coming today so I'll get the official word.

I have a great big cable that comes up from the basement and goes into a 66-block. Not sure what that cable is called. Then from the 66-block to the PBX it's the red/green/black/yellow wiring. Even if this isn't the problem, should I be replacing this with twisted pair just on principle?

I swapped lines around on the PBX and the problem followed the swapping.

The issue is much better today but not completely gone. Yesterday we had complaints of people not being able to hear us, though we could hear them.

m.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

The tech just left. He says replacing the red/green wires on my side with CAT5 or CAT3 would be a good idea, but that wasn't the problem. He switched the affected lines to some other pairs, which solved the issue. He wasn't sure exactly what caused it, but guessed just degredation over time. Apparently moisture getting into the lines through a manhole can cause this.

m.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 09:34 PM

Location: Shaw employee. My thoughts are my own and not my employers.
Twisted pair does minimize interference and crosstalk. It may be something to consider.

Moisture is very bad also, causes corrosion and really affects speech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in