DIY: Telus NIB box with CAT 6 cabling - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation DIY: Telus NIB box with CAT 6 cabling

I just purchased a home and we ended up doing a complete reno to the entire place. Now the house is well over 50 yrs old, so I ran new CAT 6 lines all throughout the house for phone and Internet connectivity.

Im using a central box for all these lines, and have installed Channel Vision's Phone and Internet boxes to connect each data run back to this box. I also ran two main lines into the Network Interface Box, which is on the outside of my place.

I am wondering if anyone knows how I connect my CAT 6 wires inside this box. The box currently has two wires, if Im not mistaken, coming from Telus into it and its hard to know what kind of wires these are, or their colours, as the house itself is over 40 yrs old.

The box looks like this basically...

Does anyone know which wires from a CAT 6 cable I would connect in the above situation so I can get ADSL working once I recieve my modem from Telus.

I dont have a phone service with TELUS so its just Internet...

Pls and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 04:19 PM

Just call 310-4NET and ask them which two posts to use. I helped my dad do an install on a similar box 1.5 years ago, and that's what I did.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Good call on retrofitting your house with the Channel Vision structured cabling product. I did mine a few years back, and I'm so glad right now because there is so much wifi congestion in my neighbourhood that I needed to convert all my devices to hardwired. Having two cat5e jacks in each room was a godsend since I have 10 IP devices!

When I did mine, I didn't bother replacing the wire from the NIB to the inside of the house. i believe the demarcation point is the 110-block inside the house, so I technically wouldn't be permitted to. Are you sure it needs to be done?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I basically ran a CAT 6 cable from the inside of my wiring centre to the demarc point, outside of my house. I ended up running two wires to the outside of the house, to be on the safe side.

Inside the house, the Channel Vision boxes (one for phone, and one for Internet) requires the phone connections to have an outside from Telus. Im assuming to the posts, I would need to use my CAT 6 wires and connect them to the posts...I dont think you need to have special authorization as your running wires in your place, and TELUS is only responsible for the line coming into the demarc point...

anyhow, if anyone knows or has a pic of how to run CAT 6 from the demarc box as per the image I initially attached, pls let me know...

Id love to get my internet up before my modem arrives this week

thanks for the replies folks!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

did you have to tell TELUS, that your doing it yourself...and was your demarc box the same? any pics? sorry for the questions...but i just want to make sure its done right when i do mine
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Why are you calling Telus? shouldn't you be calling Bell Canada for that stuff?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 09:01 PM
Veteran

Telus provides landline service in BC, AB and eastern PQ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in