Shaw Phone - 911 Issue (Winnipeg) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-18, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Shaw Phone - 911 Issue (Winnipeg)

I was just watching CTV news tonight in Winnipeg here, and there was a report of a woman who called 911 last night, and when she called the 911 operator went to confirm her address, and the lady said NO...that's not my address (that's my old address, and I moved a few months ago), and gave out the new address, so Winnipeg Fire paramedics sent trucks to both addresses (as is their practice to prevent prank calls), when asked who she had phone with, she stated Shaw, and she had moved several months earlier.

CTV News then called Peter Bissionette at Shaw who stated that the 911 phone system information was correct, and CTV called both the lady and the winnipeg fire paramedic service who both stated it was not. CTV then called back Peter B at Shaw and he did not return any calls. The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic service did state that this can happen on all phone providers and not shaw specific, and that it has only happened 3 times in the past year.

This raises a few questions for myself.

1. Do all Shaw Phone customers now have to call Shaw and remind them to change 911 records when the move?
2. What if the lady was unable to speak, that would mean fire trucks would have been sent to the wrong address.
3. What would Shaw's head office response have been if the situation had turned out worse?

I don't have a story link to post yet, but hopefully Winnipeg Free Press or the Sun have a link tomorrow.

Anyways....Shaw Phone customers...what are your thoughts? Or do think this is an issolated incident.....thats more what I am thinking. I still have faith that everything is correct.
Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company

Last edited by shawguy; 2007-12-18 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-04-18, 10:28 PM

This is a problem endemic to VOIP providers (Voice over Internet Protocol. When Shaw stops using Internet Protocol to transmit Voice, I will stop calling it VOIP). There was an infamous case in Texas similar to this with Vonage, which resulted in a lawsuit and a general reform of how VOIP providers (nomadic and otherwise) provide 911 addressing, but all the bugs are still not worked out.

The problem is that Shaw, Rogers, Vonage, Primus and other VOIP providers supply you with a phone number tied to an IP address on their network. This has tremendous benefits on the one hand (keeping your number where you move being just one). On the other hand, when you move...

Unless you specifically get your SERVICE address information updated with your VOIP provider (and NOT just your Billing Address), the E911 service views your physical address from your phone number based on your ORIGINAL address.

Now, it DOES take the process falling down at a few stages for this to happen. But processes involve human beings, and human error creeps in.

So why doesn't this happen with POTS lines?

Simple, really. POTS lines are tied to PHYSICAL addresses. If you move your number, it's physically moving to the location with you. That address is recorded by your POTS provider as the service address when the number moves. The margin of error for you to have the wrong service address tied to your phone number when you call 911 is massively smaller than with a VOIP provider after a move (not to say it can't happen, it can, it's just the margin of error during a move for this to happen is WAY smaller than with a VOIP provider).

In short...if you never moved and have Shaw service, I doubt you have ANYTHING to worry about. If you HAVE moved and have Shaw service, I STILL doubt you have anything to worry about, but you can remove your worries by calling them and finding out if your SERVICE address is correct.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 05:27 PM

First, I dont think you can just take your phone modem to another location and hook it up. Or maybe you can within the same node? If a modem is moved to a different location, I believe Shaw must be contacted to activate it there, afaik. While Shaw Digitial Phone is VoIP, its run on a private network (separate channel from Shaw High Speed Internet), and has a certain QoS setting tied to it. This is different from a service like Vonage or Primus where you can just take your modem to any internet connection in the world.

Second, if you move, your billing information must be updated. This includes a home address. I assume they would either ask if your new billing address matches the location of the phone, or at the least, just update them both at the same time.

Third, as for shawguys' 2nd point about not being able to speak... while E911 is nice, I think were putting way too much reliance on it. Its a nice feature, but it may screw up from time to time. I'd say we need ways to deal with it rather then rely on it exclusively. Additionally, I want to point out that E911 just recently came out, in the last decade or so? What did people do before that?

Fourth, WhyTF is CTV contacting the President of such a large company?? Contact a local manager in charge of the department. This is so completly rediculous. Is he really expected to know the individual details of all of Shaws operations accross Canada, in addition to his normal duties of running the company? Hello??? News media is so clueless at times.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 11:33 AM

Quote:
The problem is that Shaw, Rogers, Vonage, Primus and other VOIP providers supply you with a phone number tied to an IP address on their network. This has tremendous benefits on the one hand (keeping your number where you move being just one). On the other hand, when you move...
with Vonage if you move to another province you can keep your phone number. You can't do that with shaw or other digital phone providers.

Digital phone is kinda in between Voip and Regular phone. It's a category in itself.

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
Also with Shaw's Digital Phone product it goes directly to the Emergency 911 center unlike many VOIP providers who go through a call management center then to 911.

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-08, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawks View Post
First, I dont think you can just take your phone modem to another location and hook it up. Or maybe you can within the same node? If a modem is moved to a different location, I believe Shaw must be contacted to activate it there, afaik.
Actually my friend takes her Vancouver VOIP phone on the road (to Whistler and Hawaii) and it works just fine. Just plug it in.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-08, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
I believe dawks was quoting this info for a Shaw account where as Vonage and others you are able to do this wich is why their 911 services work different than Shaw's.

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-08, 06:37 PM

Well, I live in Calgary, have Shaw phone and actually did phone 911 a couple of weeks ago because of some severe vomiting that I was experiencing. The 911 operator did have my correct address, and the ambulance did show up to the right place.

And if anybody wants painkillers, ask for the fentanyl. It's NIIIICE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in