Shaw Doubling Internet speeds at no extra cost - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BGY11
  • 1 Post By gzink
  • 2 Post By BGY11

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Shaw Doubling Internet speeds at no extra cost

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/11/29/sha...speeds-double/

Home » News » Shaw Doubling Internet Speeds for New, Existing Customers

Shaw Doubling Internet Speeds for New, Existing Customers

Shaw
A Shaw Communications sign at the company’s headquarters in Calgary, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh)
Call it an early Christmas present for those who use the internet — so, everybody.

Shaw Communications has announced it is double the speed of its top internet plans for all new and existing residential customers.

That means customers currently on the company’s Internet 150 plan will be automatically upgraded in the coming weeks to 300 Mbps service. Customers already on an Internet 300 plan will be upgraded to download speeds of 600 Mbps.

Shaw says all new customers will have access to the fastest internet available — four times faster than any other Western Canadian competitor.

“This isn’t a promotion or a one-time offer. This is an unprecedented upgrade to our best internet plans, giving customers even faster speeds to help them use more powerful in-home technology and lead a more connected life,” said Brad Shaw, CEO, Shaw Communications. “No tricks, no gimmicks, just more speed. It’s that simple.”

Shaw’s Internet 300 and 150 plans are $55 and $50 per month, respectively, for the first six months on a two-year, price-guaranteed value plan.

All new and existing customers will see their internet speeds double in the coming weeks. Alternatively, existing customers can get their speed upgrade sooner by power-cycling their modem beginning Monday, December 3.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 04:14 PM

WOW sounds to good to be true
There might be a catch,
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/196...ot-beware.html

There is one in our Neighborhood and you get cars idling outside your home at all hours of the night!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Shaw’s Internet 300 and 150 plans are $55 and $50 per month, respectively, for the first six months on a two-year, price-guaranteed value plan.
The regular prices are $105 and $95. That's the real price for the last 18 months of the contract and beyond.

Meanwhile, Canada's ISPs need to get closer to Japan with 2Gbps speed for about $60 or Romania with 1Gbps internet for about $22. Canadian internet costs 40 times that of Japan on a dollar per Mbps basis.

The Cost to Connect - Internet Prices Around the World

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 06:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Interesting that the US is more expensive and almost twice as much per Mbps.

Also Australia is a real laggard.

Although we might be able to complain about some countries, there are a lot more that are worse off.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 10:31 PM
Veteran

The problem in the US is that there is very little competition and some very large, very bad players. It's probably going to getting worse before it gets better due to increased concentration of ownership and an FCC chairman who is very pro-industry. It looks like net neutrality in the US is a thing of the past despite strong support from the general public.

The UK is also bad. It has a number of inherited problems from their very badly managed and very expensive national phone system. There are efforts to upgrade their system but it's not going well.

Just because other countries are a mess it doen't mean we have to be. There are a significant number of Canadians that have very slow, very expensive internet or none at all. The government is now stepping in to fund infrastructure installation because private industry won't. But then, maybe that was the idea all along.

Shaw's doubling of internet speeds at the same cost is a good development. We've seen similar but less dramatic speed increases from other ISPs. It just seems like too little too late and leaves out a lot of people who can't afford the high end plans or don't live in big cities.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 10:54 PM
Veteran

Upload is remaining the same.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
gzink likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-07, 09:31 PM
Rookie

OK, so I upgraded my 75 Mbps package to the 150/300. In speedtests on my computer connected to the modem, I am getting 300+ down on Ookla and Speakeasy but only approx 150 down on TestMy.net. But the big disappointment is I'm only getting about 30 down on my iPad on wifi. Why such discrepancies?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-08, 06:13 AM
Veteran

You may be able to play with your wifi. I get 180 wired and about 60 wireless on my laptop. Same connection on my cromebook I get 80-90. Depends on location and how good your antenna and modem are on your tablet(s).
cheffip likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-08, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Firstly, you'll want to be using the 5GHz band for optimum speeds. Also, if using the Hitron modem, you'll want to go into the modem's settings under Wireless - 5GHz and enable 80MHz channel width.

As mentioned above, it will also depend on the device you're using, as some don't support multiple streams of data simultaneously which is also a requirement for higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
cheffip and Lorenzo1961 like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. The -5g really upped the iPad speed but does vary with position in the house. I still can't explain the defference on my computer between the flash based speeds (like the Shawa Speedtest or Speakeasy) and TestMy.net which is supposed to be the most reliable. It's still about 150 compare to 300+ on the others. When I had the 75 down, they would all more or less match up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 10:38 PM
Veteran

The anomaly with TestMy.net is most likely due to an internet bottleneck. It looks like they are in Texas. It's most likely an issue with a US link. It's best to check ISP speeds with a site and server within 200km and in the same country.

5GHz AC wifi is capable of higher speeds but it gets blocked by walls more easily that 2.4GHz. That explains the variable results.

Wifi speeds are often limited by the mobile device. Some have lower speed wifi chips that are only rated for 75Mbps, 150Mbps or 300Mbps. Newer, higher end devices have faster 600Mbps wifi chips. The connection speed can often be checked by looking at the connection in the wifi menu. I can get a link of 500Mbps or higher on 5Mhz at about 5m through a floor. Real speeds will typically be about half of that. It's best to check wifi speeds with a local file using a wired server on the LAN, not with an internet speed test.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 02:51 PM

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
also gives you the option to change servers
My Shaw tests occasionally change cities at random.
Best results would be local, I should think.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Yahoo!!!!!. Moved to semi rural 19 years ago and could barely use the internet. Local got bought out by Shaw a number of years back and today 333/17!!!! YAHOO!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in