Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Shaw Internet 300

10K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  RickyCV 
#1 ·
just noticed this

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/highspeed-300-2yvp/

Internet 300 with 2-year ValuePlan
Get the most from your Internet service

Whether you're a gamer or a binger, our fastest Internet delivers superior performance and speed for the people who need the best. And with a 2-Year ValuePlan, your rates are guaranteed for 24 months.
Promo for 6 months
$ 55 00* /mo
Intro offer for 6 months
on a 2-year ValuePlan^
$105.00*/MO for months 7-24
Regular Price $120/MO

#3 ·
So I'm on 150 and a value plan that will end in 2019 and if I calcualte with no deal next year I will pay 2340 over 2 years but if I go with the 300 plan and deal I will pay 2220 over 2 years.....hmmmmm. Crap! New customers only and I would have to live with Telus 6Mbps for 90 days. Yuk!

#7 ·
gzink, my value plan is just up and Shaw is now giving me 150 @ 88 month for 12 months. While I am happy with that, I am not happy with my Hitron. I am debating signing up for a new 2 yr value plan if only to get the new Arris modem. Either that or buy my own router and bridge to the modem. I never get the advertised speeds.

#10 ·
I just upgraded to Telus Fibre for my internet. The speed is 300 mb up AND down. Price is $55 for first 6 months and then $110 from there. ( 150 mbs plan was $90 ongoing)

If you should be lucky enough to be in a fibre service area, this might be an alternative to the asymmetrical bandwidth offered by Shaw.

btw: I have my own Netgear router attached directly to the ONT fibre modem supplied by Telus....I opted to not use their supplied 3200 unit for WIFI.

#13 ·
Oh, I get the 150 hardwired, but not through wifi. My house is 1973 vintage and the walls/ceilings degrade the signal. That, and the Hitron drops every now and again. So, my son bought me an Amplifi wireless router (without mesh point package) and bridges from the Hitron. Now I have a steady signal in all parts of the house, no drops (so far). I don't get the 150 speeds via wi-fi but anywhere from ~75 to 110. I;m thinking that when my year is up, I'll downgrade my package to internet 75.

#14 ·
My house is 1973 vintage and the walls/ceilings degrade the signal.
Interior walls and ceiling should not be significantly different in construction than current houses. Go back before 1950 and there will often be some differences such as plaster and lathe instead of drywall. Even that will not make a significant difference for wifi. Wifi signals will degrade though any construction materials including wood and drywall. 5GHz will degrade more that 2.5GHz.

#15 · (Edited)
Just got this set up last week. Before I reach out to Shaw, what is reasonable to expect for speed? I know it's advertised as 300, but what is an acceptable number?

I ask because I've done several tests and I've never seen over 85, most often it is in the 70 range.

This is hardwired to the modem. WiFi tests have been similar, in the 70-80mpbs range

#27 ·
That's pretty much what I get via Wi-Fi from my BlueCurve and 300 service. My BlueCurve is located close to my TV on my main floor. The Shaw tech felt the central location would be more conducive for the Wi-Fi throughout the house. I am tempted to get 3 pods for a mesh arrangement. I am not sure if that would help speeds or just ensure a constant strong signal to all areas.

#22 ·
spitoon welcome to the real world and the lies that computer companies tell. The speed they advertise will usually only be had on their network when testing with their servers on that internal network. When you get out into the real world unless you connect to extremely fast test servers you will never get the advertised speed.

#23 ·
@RedGreen : That has simply not been the case for many years now, unless you are on the fastest speed. Most (high speed) service providers now debottleneck their nodes/systems in order to provide Gigabit speeds, so people on the lower tiers usually get what they pay for, or a little more. As you can see from the speed tests earlier in this thread, people are getting 300+ on their 300 tier. This may not be true with WiFi due to many different factors, but for a hard wired connection, you typically get the speed you pay for at the modem. I pay for 75/10 on Rogers and get 95/11 hard wired or WiFi. The same holds true for all but the Gigabit tier where people may get 600-900, etc.

#24 ·
I'm basically getting the same speed I used to get on the 75 plan (50-85). For this reason I tend to believe its a 'provisioning' issue however the tech on chat was unable to resolve it. I assume he would have seen that if it was. He had me move the modem to another outlet in the home and also had me test wired, wireless, and on the Shaw Speed Test website as well as Fast.com.

To be fair, I don't even really expect to get 300 all the time. We had no issues on 75. I changed it due to an offer from Shaw that saved us a worthwhile amount each month. Having said that, I do expect to get something close to that. As it is, I'm getting 35-50 WiFi and 60-75 wired now which (at best) is less than 1/4 of what I should be getting.

I'll post an update after the tech visit on Sunday. Thanks!

#25 ·
Don't expect much from chat. Our move was very interesting. The tech could see a signal and all was well at their end. When a tech finally came out to fix this simple move he disconnected telus from the cable and hooked up their connection. There was no signal prior of course. Some are less than clueless. Gotta remember the job they do and great pay etc.

#26 ·
@57 I might actually believe that if I did not know it to be false by my own experience. The idiots cannot even do the full speed testing within the local network, it now gives me 385 down 132mbps up, I am on a 500/500 connection. It has always been this way so you can tell that to someone who has the full speed they will probably believe it. Mentioning it to them morons at Bell always gets the well it say it is up to response... Yeah right I have something or somewhere they can stick in the up to.

#29 ·
Just an update here. The tech was out today. He did say that it was provisioned incorrectly, and he wasn't sure why the guy on chat couldn't see that. He also pointed out an old network switch that I was using that was holding things back. I'm now getting 300+ (even 500) on my wired connection.

I'm still not seeing great speeds on WiFi but I'll have to dig into that a bit further.

My phone seems to be the best. I can get it to show 200+ on WiFi

My laptop doesn't seem to want to go over 50Mbps. This is in the same room as the router so it's not a signal issue. I've updated all drivers and everything I can see that it says it should be able to handle 300.

I have a desktop downstairs with a WiFi adapter showing 4 out of 5 bars for signal strength. I can't get it to go over 60, usually in the low 50s, although in its "Right-Click-Status" information is says the speed is 300.00Mbps

Lastly, I have a PS4 connected wireless and it won't go over 30. It's a bit farther away, but is showing 80% signal strength.

#32 ·
My laptop doesn't seem to want to go over 50Mbps.
That's likely a limitation of the laptop. A good laptop or device with a high quality AC wifi chip will get a 600Mbps or higher connection and up to 300Mbps speeds. Drop down to a lower quality or dated AC chip and that will drop significantly to about 1/2 or 1/4 those speeds. A typical wifi N chip will max out at about 75Mbps and G about 25Mbps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.