New Shaw Wifi Modem (Arris XB6?) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-05, 03:47 PM
Veteran

Actually, there's two different versions of the XB6, and one has a Broadcomm chipset instead of the Intel one. More than likely they're still being used interchangeably and your comment is valid, but they're still going to market it as the best there is

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Wheelman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-06, 06:15 PM

That's correct, the one you want is the Technicolor XB6. Avoid the Arris XB6 like a plague! That would require upgrading to 300 or higher package though. I wonder what modem they would provision for the new Internet 100 package. Hopefully not an Intel chipset based modem.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-06, 07:43 PM
Veteran

They still might be selling the Hitron ones for lower packages.

Edit - yeah, it would indeed be the Hitron (with PUMA 6 chipset). The description for that plan mentions "Advanced WiFi Modem rental" whereas Internet 300 & 600 mention "BlueCurve Gateway rental."

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-06, 08:59 PM

I wonder if they would allow use of the Arris SBG6782 for Internet 100. That uses broadcom chipset I believe.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-06, 11:42 PM
Veteran

Shaw only activates modems they sell.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-07, 03:09 AM

The Arris SBG6782 is a modem they provision.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1297

Does Shaw sell modems currently?

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-07, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
The Arris SBG6782 is a modem they provision.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1297

Does Shaw sell modems currently?
No they don’t.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-07, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Oops - you're right. As for selling modems I'm not sure honestly. I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Looks like I received the Technicolor modem today. Just checked the part number and it was CGM5151SHW.

Wheelman likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 07:09 PM
Veteran

I may have mentioned before that I was planning on swapping out my owned Hitron for a rented BlueCurve at my primary residence and transfer the owned Hitron and replace the rented Hitron out at the lake in another province. I'd like to relate my experience.

I was speaking with Shaw retentions as I was trying to get a promotional discount on my seasonal internet service at the lake. Last year when I was going to cancel the service because we're not there 6 months straight, retentions convinced me to do a seasonal disconnect and they would give a promotion next season. That seemed fair enough until I determined I was being billed a rental fee over the winter. I can afford it, but $30 buck is $30 bucks! Meanwhile at home I was paying the same price that other were with their rental modem. But I digress. The retentions guy says well if you sign up for a new 2 yr value plan you can get a new BlueCurve and I'll keep you on the Internet 300 for what you have been paying (a previous loyalty award - $88 month) for those two years, and I'll upgrade your Shaw home phone service for free. Oh and your Popular TV package won't go up for two years. I said sign me up!

When it came time to move the Hitron to the lake I ran into troubles. First guy says, no can do (perform the switch) until you return the rental to retail. Second guy (via chat) says no problemo (until I switched modems and lost the chat). 3rd guy (gal) via chat stayed with me for about 3 hours in what was a very complicated process. He/she even put in a level 3 ticket to the back office team. In the end, I got it transferred and took the rental back to retail two days later. Apart from the first guy (whom I'm sure was reading from a script) the service was outstanding.
RickyCV likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in