Extending/Upgrading Wireless with Shaw and Cisco DPC3848V - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 02:12 AM

Since you find a way to run the cat5 cable, why not run the cable to the middle of your house in your basement and put your new ASUS router to provide wifi to your whole house. Run Cat5 cable from your new router at middle of your house to your office with a gigabit switch to service your devices in your office.

If you can service your whole house with one router, why use two routers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

@TechGuy8 , I've done half of that. I've run a Cat6 from the Shaw modem at one end of the house (closest to cable inlet, and right beside TV in family room) to the rear of my office, which is about as "middle of the house" as I can get. It's at least the middle along one long edge of the house. And yes, for wireless, it is all I need in the house... I have turned off the wireless on the Shaw modem. In my office, the three spare ports on the Asus router will more than serve my needs.

What I was hoping to avoid was running a second Cat6 wire *back* to the area of the Shaw modem, to service my set-top-box and my Rainforest Smart Meter monitor, both of which need a wired connection... As the Shaw modem has all these extra ports, I was just wondering if it was possible to use them with the modem in Bridged mode.

I've done more googling and it seems nobody has found a way to do that however, so i'm stuck running a second Cat6. I ordered a Netgear 5-port switch to go down there as well. When it all arrives i'll put the 3848V in bridged mode (figured out how to do it by hacking the HTML on the Admin page) and it'll just be a dumb modem.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 01:47 PM

Now, I understand.

- Turn off the the WiFi on your Shaw modem/router and use it as a wired router. LAN port will be used for connecting set-top-box , Rainforest and your new ASUS router.
- Configure your Shaw router to give out IP addresses ie. enable DHCP from between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.150
- Disable the DHCP on ASUS
- Set the IP address of ASUS as 192.168.0.10 fixed address which is outside the assignable address range. It must be on the same sub-net of the Shaw router. It is convenience to know the address of my router for easy access.
- Set the gateway parameter pointing to the Shaw router IP 192.168.0.1 in order for it to send outside traffic to the Shaw router to Internet.

This configuration has only one box(Shaw router 192.168.0.1) to issue local IP address between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.150. All local addresses from ASUS devices are assigned from Shaw router. Therefore, there is no IP conflict within your local network. Both routers are one the same subnet. Since all devices are on the same subnet, they can access each other.

Last edited by TechGuy8; 2016-09-23 at 11:41 PM.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-24, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

@TechGuy8 , thanks, i'll give that a try. It's not my ideal solution as it leaves the Shaw box in charge of DHCP, and, for that matter, my firewall. I think I have greater confidence in security with an Asus box that I fully control, vs. a Shaw box that has backend access that I don't control. I will probably still put a second line back from the Asus and a switch to share it, but in the meantime i'll try using the Shaw box' DHCP.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-24, 04:02 PM

If you don't trust Shaw box, put a network switch near Shaw modem for the set-top-box and the Rainforest. Run a Cat5 cable from your ASUS router. Configure Shaw modem in bridge mode.

There is something to try.
[YMMV]
The LAN ports may be able to be used as a network switch when the Shaw modem/router configured as bridged mode.
Run a cat5 cable from a ASUS LAN to a LAN port on the Shaw modem/router. Connect the set-top-box and the Rainforest to the unused LAN ports.
This may not work. But worth a try before getting a network switch.
[/YMMV]
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

@TechGuy8 , Just to be clear, in your [YMMV][/YMMV], you're suggesting connecting a LAN port on the Asus to a LAN port on the Shaw box, INSTEAD of connecting the WAN port on the Asus to the first LAN port on the Shaw box? Or in addition to?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 02:59 PM

I am not using Shaw. I am assuming that there is a WAN port on the Shaw modem/router when you configure it as bridge mode.
IF the Shaw modem/router use the LAN port 1 as the WAN port for the bridge mode, my suggestion will not work. You need a standalone network switch.

Shaw modem/router LAN 1 <--> WAN ASUS LAN ports for file servers, office PC, standalone network switch at Shaw modem
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, unfortunately there's no WAN port on the Shaw router. From the Shaw router's perspective, "WAN" is the cablevision line coming in.

I'm told that in Bridge mode, you connect your own router to port 1, but thinking about how it must be wired internally, i'd bet that the four ports are just a dumb switch, and if the Bridge mode is enabled that just pushes DHCP to the next level up, ie. at Shaw. So you could use all four ports if you could get Shaw to issue four IP addresses, but they couldn't talk to each other through an "internal" network.

I have already ordered a second 50' Cat6, and a 4-port Ethernet switch. It means a second cable running down the baseboard between the cabinet under the TV where the Shaw modem will live, and the closet under the stairs where the Asus router will live, but I can live with that:

Cable In
|
Shaw Modem (Bridged)
|
Asus Router (gets external IP from Shaw, serves DHCP internally)
| |
| +-- Three ports for my office
|
One port back out to the room with the Shaw router
|
4-port switch
| |
| +-- Rainforest
|
+-- WDTV Set top box (or another nVidia Shield TV in the future, maybe... best TV box ever...)
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 10:47 PM

Do you get strong wifi signal at every corners of your house from your ASUS router located under the stairs?
If yes, this configuration should work.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-26, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I get strong signal on 5G through most of the house, and adequate signal on the fringes. I get strong 2.5G signal everywhere. So yes, this will work, and it's a simpler configuration than trying to balance two WiFi routers against each other. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in