newer modem available? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Question newer modem available?

Approximately 2 years ago, I upgraded to the Gateway system. As part of this upgrade, Shaw provided me with a new modem, the Cisco DPC 3825.

I was wondering if anyone knew if a newer modem is available? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 11:01 AM

There is the Hitron CGNM-2250.

If I may ask, why do you want a newer modem? The 3825 should be good for most plans. It's what I use.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I just like to keep up to the latest and greatest and 2 years in the tech industry is a long time :-)

P.S. Thanks for the link - looks like they are really pushing the wireless improvements for this modem which doesn't apply to me as I have my own wireless router.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 05:50 PM
Veteran

If that's the case, there probably would be no reason to upgrade.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 10:49 PM

The main difference is that the Hiltron has 24X8 channels, so 24 channels for the down and 8 channels for the upstream. This allows for higher speeds, but it also helps to re-leave Shaw's bandwidth congestion by transferring the data over more channels. Shaw recently added 24 channels to many cities to help with congestion... Shaw has said they are using the Hilton for the 120Mbps packages, the 8X4 modems are good enough for the 60Mbps and lower packages, and 4X4 modems for less than 30 meg packages.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-01-09, 05:30 PM
tux

^ That's bunk. The 4x4 or, at best, maybe 8x4 modems are "good enough" for 120/10 internet service, as long as they have GigE ports and fast enough Wifi. An 8x4 modem could split the 120/10 into 15 Mbps/2.5Mbps per channel, which is more than enough to alleviate congestion. In fact, the 30 Mbps and lower packages can still be delivered through DOCSIS 2.0 modems, which have no channel bonding.

The fact of the modem being 24x8 is unnecessary for speeds as low as 120 Mbps. Much more likely is that they are deploying the modem for it's 3x3 dual-band MIMO Wireless-AC router, which are currently high in demand, and for its ability to support faster speeds up to 960 Mbps should Shaw offer them in the future. Shaw's actually offering this modem to customers with speeds as low as 15 Mbps.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 07:29 PM

If we get the Shaw modem model with wireless routing capabilities, then we don't need to have our own wireless router? Which way is better, Shaw's modem + own router or Shaw's wireless modem? If in the future we subscribe to VOIP phone service, that would mean one fewer equipment to connect.

We still have the Shaw Motorola Surfboard which is out of date. Is there any free upgrade from Shaw? Our service is now 15Mbps/512kbps internet service.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 08:39 PM
tux

I would say that the Shaw modem + own router method is better. Having your own router allows you to get exactly what features you want/need. Historically, there's been a number of issues using shaw modem/router combos, including bridge mode (or lack thereof), range issues, outdated wifi standards, inability to upgrade the firmware, etc.

Also, as a modem, the Motorola Surfboard is rock solid. It does what it does, and it does it well. This modem should serve your needs on any plan up to 30 Mbps.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Got the Hitron with 15/.5 service and it is solid but the .5 is actually "jumpy" and more like .2 . Don't know if it's the modem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-07-24, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Does anyone know the real-life data throughput on the Hitron wireless (internally, for example from a cabled PC to a wireless laptop assumed capable of running at AC speeds)?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 09:09 AM

Besides the Hiltron wifi modem, are there any newer wireless/wired modem from Shaw?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-10-24, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Still a Hitron, but the newest modem is the XB6, eligible for Internet 75, 150, and 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in