Infrastructure Maintenance Contact - Battery Backup? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 57
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Infrastructure Maintenance Contact - Battery Backup?

Not a Rogers customer, but does anyone on here have a technical contact at Rogers for their infrastructure maintenance issues?

The pole mounted UPS's in our area are mostly dead and only keep the line extenders powered for a few minutes when the power goes out. For those with back up power, this means their home phone or internet lasts for a few minutes in a power failure.

I see many Alpha boxes on poles with flashing red trouble lights, likely indicating internal battery replacement is necessary. But nothing gets done about it.

Does anyone on here, or those on here that work for Rogers have a technical contact at 2nd or 3rd level support that I can reach out to?

We had our monthly power outage Sunday morn and the broadband network stayed up less than 10 minutes while the power was out for several hours.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 10:37 PM
Veteran

^^^^
You should be able to escalate when you call the support line, perhaps ask for a supervisor. There have been a couple of times when I've escalated to 2nd level immediately when my call was answered, because I knew 1st level support wouldn't be able to help.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-29, 04:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
My internet cable and phone goes down right away with a power failure (I have UPS, etc). They used to stay up, but haven't in a few years. I tried escallating but nothing ever got done. I'm guessing batteries and service are too expensive to keep operational in a power failure. Most people now have cell phones and not many people have UPS, so Rogers probably gets few complaints.
Gentleman likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-29, 05:05 PM
Veteran

^^^^
When we had that big power failure in 2003, I got home from work just in time to hear my UPS die. After a couple of hours, I had to rough it by using my notebook computer over dial up!

Since I can't do much when power is out, I wasn't worried if Rogers was up or not. However, I was still on Bell for phone service back then. Now, I have Rogers VoIP service, which has a battery in the terminal.

My first indication of that failure was the radio station I was listening to died. Then I noticed the traffic lights weren't working.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-29, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I've tried calling Rogers second level support but they ask me for an account number which I cannot provide (TSI). Never thought about cost of infrastructure maintenance.

Our home is powered by a 16Kw air cooled nat gas standby generator that starts automatically in a power failure. But broadband internet goes out shortly thereafter as does our voip. Our modem and router are also on a 900VA UPS. We do have cell phones, so emergency calling is not an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 11:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I've tried calling Rogers second level support but they ask me for an account number which I cannot provide (TSI). Never thought about cost of infrastructure maintenance.
Call TSI. They will call their support person at Rogers. Maintenance is part of what Rogers is paid to do when they sell internet service, retail or wholesale. Telephone and internet are classified as essential services by the CRTC so maintenance to provide service during power failures is part of the requirements for Rogers' license, not an option.
Gentleman likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I just came up with another idea.

Every time our broadband goes out in a power outage, I'll call TSI and open a trouble ticket. TSI is now able to see end users modems, so this might get the attention the infrastructure sorely needs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in