Suddenly unable to connect to some sites via Rogers as of July 7th? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-08, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Suddenly unable to connect to some sites via Rogers as of July 7th?

Anyone else in Toronto having trouble connecting to some sites as of late last night? Specifically arstechnica.com and imgur.com. I was also dumped out of a Ubisoft game last night, but others on different ISP's were not. Attempts to connect to google intermittently fail.

Other sites work (I am posting from the same computer) and I know the two sites are up as they are accessible on my Public Mobile phone connection (but not via wi-fi through Rogers).

I've rebooted the modem and my router, and tried connecting the desktop directly to the modem via ethernet. Tracert shows the connection timing out on my WAN IP.

[edit] sites now work when directly connected to rogers modem, though rogers support weren't able to connect to them when we started the call. Switched to a different router and everything seems fine.

signatures are stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-08, 10:39 AM
Veteran

I don't know if it's related, but yesterday Rogers, Bell, Telus and Freedom were all having problems with their cell networks.

Outage problems at mobile service providers causing voice service issues

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 10:46 AM

I'm seeing the same issue with Teksavvy cable via Rogers. And the sites which are inaccessible keep changing. Teksavvy support had no answers for me, so they're going to try to send a tech out to take a look.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Probably just some Russians and Chinese hacking into our insecure internet equipment. Nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Might be something with a specific peering partner.. where the rogers network connects elsewhere to get to the rest of the internet.

IE: I know there was an issue a number of years ago, where like a lot of this area was having issues.. it was a LEVEL3 issue in the states.. where we connected to down there.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 02:28 PM
Veteran

This issue may have affected wireless phone calls as well. There have been lots of occasions where bad DNS records and other issues with routing have caused problems with internet access. That often didn't affect Canada but did have an impact on other countries, regions or individual sites. DNS servers have been hacked or otherwise exploited by bad players. There have recently been a number of security issues found on in Cisco internet routers that may have been exploited by bad actors. It happens more often than we realize because companies often don't reveal that they have been hacked for business reasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in