2Likes
  • 1 Post By 17671
  • 1 Post By User14

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
PFD

Question about upgrading

Hi

Before I talk to a Rogers Customer Service person, thought I'd ask here.

I'm on an old, grandfathered plan for Internet. I pay $79.99 for 60GB of Usage, that includes $8 fr my modem which is something they call a Gateway Modem. (For those who know it looks a bit like a block of black Swiss cheese).

I see that Rogers has a plan they call Ignite 30 which would give me 250 GB and a modem rental ($10) for a total of $77.99.

My question is will they make me upgrade my modem? I say because last time I changed my modem I had some issues and it took over 30 hrs to fix. (getting username and password sorted). and I suffer from tech anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 12:28 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I've changed my modem a few times over the years and never had a problem. When you talk to Rogers, you might want to see about a better plan than that Ignite 30. With my bundle, I get Ignite 75, with 500 GB and 75/10 for $67.99 plus tax. I generally get mid 80s-low 90s down and 11 up.

I also had one of those black swiss cheese modems and wanted to hide it, as it was so ugly.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
PFD

Ignite 75 doesn't even seem to be on their website. Next step up from Ignite 30 is 60 which, after a six month promotion, would be about $96. (also they're ending the bundling as of Septemember).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I get Ignite 75, with 500 GB and 75/10 for $67.99 plus tax.
That was being offered to existing customers a few months ago. It's a standard $25 discount on the plan. It was not on the web site but was being offered to existing customers who called to upgrade. Plans have changed since then but something similar should be available for the 60/10 or 150/15 plans. The 150/15 plan is probably the best deal. It represents a significant upgrade over the 60/10 plan for a small extra cost.

A new modem is a good idea and is probably required for the upgrade. We did something similar and the new modem made a significant improvement in performance. The modem switch over was seamless. We just disconnected the existing modem and exchanged it for a new one at the Rogers store.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
PFD

I ended up talking to them and they gave me this promo they have right now for Ignite 60u, a 12-month promo for less than what I pay now. I didn't have to change modems but I may do that someitme anyway.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-20, 11:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
ended up talking to them and they gave me this promo they have right now
I find it's a good idea to give them a call every now and then, to see what they can do. People are amazed at how little I pay for my services and what I get.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-21, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Before I had kids, I had more free time I would make it a routine to check for any new internet, cellphone and TV packages or promos every few months and if one exists which caters to my needs and is cheaper, or one exists which is similar to mine in price but has more data, airtime, I would give them a call and change packages. I have spent a great deal of my time working in the Telecommunications industry, not necessarily for the big 3, but for different vendors and what not, I realized that new plans come out all the time but the carrier will not take the time to notify you of these excellent plans and promos. sometimes people will hear about them thru the news like the 10G $60 byod plan from boxing day, or some people will hear about them thru online discussion forums, social media, twitter, or the graham, or what not, some people might work in retail stores and tell their friends and family about these plans, but its up to you the consumer to find the best bang for your buck. Make it a routine to call every few months to review your packages and see if your getting the best bang for your dollar.
PFD likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-21, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
PFD

Thanks for your advice,and yes I will do that from now on.

I am a bit annoyed, for instance, that I was paying the same amount on my grand-fathered plan for 60GB that I could get 250GB for virtually the same price, and they never thought to tell me before. But I found the CSR I spoke to yesterday was very helpful with a lot of things. I know they deal with a lot of hot heads and get a lot of flack, so credit where it's due.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
PFD

So, finally I'm updating my plan which is running out this month. I'm getting a pretty good deal, although I have to revamp my old grandfathered cable tv plan. But that's what it is. The one thing that annoys me a bit, is that they're making me upgrade my modem from my gateway to a Rocket? Is that their newest one? Is it better?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 08:53 AM
Veteran

There is one 'newer' than it. But its only out with the Ignite TV plans.

Quality wise.. about on par with all the others.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 12:09 PM
Rookie

FWIW, we switched from Rogers to Bell for Home Phone, TV and Internet on 5 July 2019. We had to transfer our Rogers email to a Cellular plan tablet to keep our Rogers email address.
We had the old Rogers VIP package for $139 with 2 separate (owned) Rogers PVRs, the 25GB /10mbps download Internet for $54, and the VoIP Home Phone for $49. (Total $232/mo less tax)
We got the Bell Fibe TV which is wi-fi with one 4K PVR box, modem and $8/mo TV receivers (each). There was the Home Phone and Unlimited Internet with not less than 50mbps. The total was $125/mo less tax. The promotion is for 2 years. I will also have to add items to the TV Pkg like timeshifting and HBO so the cost may go up $30/mo. You need to get the internet with Fibe TV BTW.
The only problem we had was that the Wi-fi Modem (Hub 3000) was too far from one of the TVs in the basement (concrete foundation) so there was insufficient signal. They installed two Power Line Communicators (PLCs), one near the modem and one near the (no signal) TV with a Video Access Point (VAP) box. Now I have max signal strength at all the TVs! There is some pixelization if you use the vacuum or power tools but we can put about 75' of CAT 5 cable between the modem and the VAP which will give me a wired connection and eliminate the interference problem. A project for later.
Another thing.. if the Bell 4K PVR stops working you can swap out the hard drive with a new 4K PVR box and you will not loose your recordings. I also had to continue for 2 months with a basic Rogers TV Package in order to watch recorded programs on the Rogers PVRs. They stop working around 2:50am if the cable is not plugged in.
Norman_C likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PFD

Humour me. What's a Rocket modem look like? I received my new one in the mail via UPS. It's the same model as my current one. Black Hitron, stands on its side.

They were aslo supposed to send a tech to install it for me between 4 and 6 today. No show.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in