Rogers RFoG FTTH - Hardware - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Rogers RFoG FTTH - Hardware

Good day,

I've tried to search and I've tried to call but no one seems to know. I live in the new community in Ottawa Trailwest (Formally Sohowest) Rogers oh so kindly installed Fiber to the home (Set up as RFoG to continue using their Docsis 3 line of products).

I want out.. well what I want is to switch to TekSavvy, Its just not fiscally responsible to spend as much as I do on their internet service. I have a home media center and we got rid of our paid cable package since we never watched shows when they broadcast. That said, I've contacted Rogers and Tek over the hardware used to convert the signal from the fiber to coax, and no one seems to know what the deal is. IF its mine (or part of the structure of the house) then switching to Tek would only involve me purchasing a modem. However IF it belongs to Rogers i am SOL and stuck with their overprice under delivering service.

Anyone have any ideas ? Has Anyone with the "FTTH" styled service switched to a 3rd Party ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 10:51 PM

The device you're referring to is the ONU. I doubt that has anything to do with whether you can get TPIA internet service though.

You should just call Teksavvy or another TPIA, provide them with your exact address and have them verify serviceability for you.

If you can't switch, I'd call in and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a retention offer to reduce your costs. Retention offers no longer require a contract, and frontline representatives can't tell if your home is fed by fibre or coax so they won't know that you can't switch to Teksavvy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-11, 11:27 PM
Veteran

You are in one of the few places in the Rogers universe capable of getting bidirectional 250Mbps and you aren't interested? What's wrong with you as it is only $225/month!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-12, 01:38 PM

Not all areas with RFoG can get symmetrical 250
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-13, 01:03 PM
Veteran

Why not? And why not over even faster service than 250? The fiber can handle it, can't it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-03-13, 02:26 PM

It can but someone needs to come out and install an ONT and on the backend the customer needs to be moved onto a different provisioning system. Because the 250 tier is still a trial, it's limited only to a small area in Toronto and Moncton at the moment

Tags
fibre , ftth , internet service , rogers , teksavvy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in