Rogers Residential Internet Pricing, Packages Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 06:37 AM

I know! Much appreciated too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 03:07 PM

That chart is not an accurate comparison as the author of the chart has included the rental fee in the new tiers but not the old one. Even though Rogers is now advertising the rental price with their new tiers, it is still business as usual as the rental is still a separate charge on the bill and customers can choose to pay the rental or buy their equipment outright.

If you look at the tier prices without the modem rental, the difference between 60 and Express is $1.50 whereas the difference between 60 and Extreme is $11.50

When you factor in the modem rental for both the old and new tiers the difference between 60 and Express is $5.50 and the difference between 60 and Extreme is $7.50.

It's clear the pricing for the 60 tier is targeted towards the old Express market segment.
post #93 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-17, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Really in the end..

Each person need to compare what they CURRENTLY have..
Speed, usage, etc.
At whatever current price... Plan + modem rental. (including promos)

And compare that to the new ones overall price..

And see if its worth switching or not. Where someone might pay extra for unlimited now (even at $10), may not need that much, and may qualify for the free 200g bonus, which may be enough usage.. and might get faster speed, for aprox the same price.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

post #94 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-17, 01:26 PM

We already know that.

My point is that some of the comparisons being drawn here between the old and new tiers aren't entirely accurate.
post #95 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-17, 07:49 PM
Veteran

Other than the two ultimate tiers (150/250)..

There just isn't a DIRECT parallel for most of the other plans.. its all a slight up/down, give/take on price/usage.
I did that chart.. as the closest I could match, at least going off SPEEDS.
(but yes that doesn't then always match to PRICE).

GDKitty
post #96 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-17, 09:25 PM

Of course there won't be a direct match but you were comparing prices on one side with the rental fee and on the other side you did not factor in the rental fee. That is a seriously flawed comparison.

That's like comparing the price of a home at its list price vs a home with the list price and closing fees. My point is that because you excluded the rental pricing from only one side of the comparison, the way you attempted to match the tiers was a bit off.
post #97 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 04:19 PM
Veteran

I didn't mean it to be an be all end all comparison.. just some people were having issues comparing, not seeing them sort of side by side.

The main reason I left the modem prices out on the LEFT column, was that under THOSE pricing packages, you tended to have a more variance of modem rental fees.. $7, 8, or 12, at just about any package, depending on what the person has.
(technically, if you were still on a D2, at $4, your still at those plan pricing).
So I more left it for the person to compare themselves, using what they have.
EG: Express @ 56.49+8 = 64.49
vs express @ 56.49+12 = 68.49

Really I guess.. it should be a RANGE in that field for what it could be (though that may confuse even more)

Generally, there is a savings of a few $ for an express person to go with the 30/5, but only for a few $ more, can see a HUGE increase with the 60 package.

Feel free to make a better comparison chart, if you think there is a better way to do it.

GDKitty
post #98 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 04:34 PM
Veteran

I guess I could see if I can get the chart changed (Unfortunately the rogers forums don't allowing editing past like 1/2 a day).

Would it be better if the new stuff, say price listed as.

Fibre 250 $87.99 + 12 modem rental

?

GDKitty
post #99 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 04:54 PM
Member #1

Quote:
The name is definitely to combat Bell, because lay people buy easily into Bell's misleading fibre optic marketing.
So instead of being honest, Rogers is feeding consumers crap too! It's sad that the CRTC allows Rogers to mislead customers.

Anyway you look at the new Rogers pricing is obscene. The 10/1 package is $2 per GB of download while the 30/5 package is almost $1 per GB.

If you want 300 GB which is nothing now, it will cost you around $85 a month!

I cancelled my mom's Rogers internet this week (and her Bell phone) because for $75 a month I got her primus which gives her unlimited phone, 3 calling features and unlimited internet. It's only 7 Mbps down but that's more than enough for Netflix, web browsing and email. She still has Rogers Cable but her overall bill for phone, internet and tv is down considerably and she still has access to the internet if Rogers fails.

post #100 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 05:14 PM

@Hugh Rogers is not misleading anyone here. They do run a hybrid fibre network. I agree the pricing is a bit hefty for low end users and is designed to take advantage of the less tech savvy crowd. However, for users who want speed and usage these new tiers are considered a huge improvement.

@gdkitty Since the new tiers still allow for variability with modem pricing it's probably better to have a chart that excludes the modem rental fee on both sides.
post #101 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 05:46 PM
Veteran

I would agree with what yyzlhr says.. rogers is at least a little more truthful at least.. that its a hybrid fibre network.
Both bell and rogers are fibre to the node, then cable or telephone line for the last leg.
Really it comes down to the CSR, etc at each company. I have heard many people say bell CSRs saying that 'Fibe is fibre to your house' which its not. But I am sure many rogers CSRs are just as clueless :P

@yyzlhr: How much variability? My understanding (from the site and the 2 CSRs I talked to), both said all plans (other than 10 and 30) require the CGN3.
Now, that could be incorrect..

I didn't want to put the 'modem not included' price.. just due to not having those exact numbers.. and the only LISTED prices, being INCLUDED... as to not confuse people then by 'why does yours say this not whats listed'

All part of the change how things are done, to confuse the customer stuff sometimes :P

But like you said, at least in MOST cases, it can be an improvement for the customer.

GDKitty
post #102 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 06:12 PM

60 and above requires the CGN3, everything else will support the CGN2, CGN3, DPC3825. Also keep in mind customers have the option of buying their equipment as well so there is still quite a bit of variability in terms of pricing when it comes to equipment.

If you want the exact pricing for the new tiers subtract the following amounts from the advertised pricing:
$12 for 60 and above
$8 for 10 and 30
post #103 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 07:05 PM
Veteran

If I can get a mod to edit it, I will (again, cant do it myself)

GDKitty
post #104 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-06-24, 12:28 PM

How do I migrate to Hybrid Fibre 60?

I am currently on a 80GB Express plan with a Cisco 3825 modem, bridge mode, on a 2 year free rental. with my own DCHP gigabit router/switches for wired devices and a few older AP throughout the house for wi-fi.

My monthly internet rate is $56.49, less a 2 yr 15% discount $8.47 for a net of $48.02 plus tax = $54.26.

All is well EXCEPT that :

- I would like to up my download limits ( kids back home)
- I wouldn't mind a faster service (now at 30 Mbps on rogers test)

When I check my account on line, there is a link to Change Package which takes me to the package plans where I see the Hybrid Fibre 60 plan ( 120GB/ 60 Mpbs available in my area) at a rate if $69.99/mo . The fine print says :

- Advanced Wi-Fi Modem rental included
- Taxes, a $14.95 one-time activation fee, and a one-time installation fee (Self $9.99; Basic $49.99; or Professional $99.99) apply.

QUESTIONS

1) MODEM INCLUDED? When I enquired last time about the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem (I assume this is the Hitron CGN3), it was $5 more per month ($12 vs the $7 now charged/credited on my bill) . But if the new modem is truly included, that's fine and I would no longer be on the two year free rental plan. Is it really included?

2)RETAIN DISCOUNTS? If I go on the 69.99/mo plan, do I retain my current discounts?? My monthly internet rate is $56.49, less a 2 yr discount $8.47 (15%) for a net of $48.02 plus tax = $54.26. I assume my new rate would be $69.99 less $10.50 (15%) plus tax = $67.22. Correct?

3) HOW DO I MAKE IT HAPPEN? - is the cleanest was just to call it in, make the changes to my account and have them send a tech with a new modem? .... or can I walk into to a local Rogers authorised dealer with my Cisco 3825 and have them make the account changes and modem swap there?

4) ADDITONAL 200 GB?? - I have TV & home phone with rogers as well with discounts, so I may qualify for the 200gb extra usage but does that mess up other discounts?? And how long is the extra 200 gb for -- every month for the next 24 months?? But can this only be arranged by calling in or can a store do it?

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
post #105 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-06-24, 12:39 PM

1) The advertised price includes the modem rental fee, but the modem and the internet service are still charged as two separate fees. Advertised price $69.99. Price on Bill: $57.99+$12.

2) You should be able to retain the discounts. The actual price of 60/10 is $57.99, and you should be able to get 15% off of that. Free modem rental promos only discount the modem by up to $8 so you'll still have to pay $4 for the advanced modem rental. In total you should be looking at about $53.29+taxes, you should call in to confirm though.

3) Call in to confirm pricing, then go to a Rogers store to swap your modem

4) No, you already have a retention discounts. The bundle bonuses will remove all other discounts from your account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in