Rogers Residential Internet Pricing, Packages Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 02:24 PM
Veteran

THey already have rolled it out.. or at least started to.
Pretty much just parts of Toronto so far.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Does anyone have it yet? Let's see your speedtest results.

I am switching to 250/20 but I have to trade in my SMC Gateway for the Hitron Gatweay.

Assuming that you are using your own router you may have to upgrade your router as some older routers won't have WAN-LAN troughput of 250Mbps. I have switched from an Asus RT-N16 that could only handle 141 to an Asus RT-N66U that can handle 741 Mbps. Hopefully I will have to upgrade that in a couple of years as well when we get to Gigabit speeds
post #63 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 03:21 PM
Veteran

That is one thing I have heard from a number of people, even with the 150 ultimate.
Often they are only getting 100ish when in bridged.. likely do a lot of the time, to the ROUTER not being able to handle it.
(quite a number of routers, while the LAN ports are over 10/100, the WAN port is not always).

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

post #64 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 03:27 PM
Veteran

I was on the old Ultimate that was 75/2 which moved up to 150/10 but I never upgraded my modem (I had the SMC gateway in bridge mode and an Asus RT-N16 router) and I was paying about $100/month rather than $125. But it seemed like they did up some of my speed as when I ran tests at speedtest.net I would get, at best, about 120/10. So they seemed to upgrade my upload speed but I am not sure about my download speed given the uncertainly introduced by speedboost. But I guess I will see when I get the new modem hooked up.

SmallNetBuilder does a good job on routers - here is a chart of WAN/LAN throughput for various routers. (This may only show more current routers, not modesl that were sold several years ago that many of us may still be using) http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...task=archiveon
post #65 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Here we go - read it and weep folks:

First test - still in gateway mode:

After switching to Bridge mode:
post #66 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 07:41 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Why the difference between modes?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #67 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 09:07 AM
Veteran

I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. In all of the tests that I have run since switching to bridge mode, which is 4-5, my download spees around 250 Mbps which is what I am supposed to get but that first direct test seems to indicate that I was getting faster speeds, perhaps due to Speedboost.

In the first mode I had a laptop directly plugged into one of the ports of the Hitron Gateway and it was still functionig as a modem+router. In the second test the path was going through a lot more of my internal networking as the Hitron was acting as a cable modem - then my Asus NT-R66U is the router and then it goes through my 24 port switch before hitting the PC. I will try connecting the laptop directly to one of the ports of the Gateway to see what speeds I get like that, this is directly connecting your PC to the net without a router so I don't think I want to do that for too long.

All of the network equipment is Gigabit, which is obvious since otherwise I wouldn't get better than 100Mbps, and the PC that the second test was run on is faster than the laptop.

My network cabling is (I believe) CAT-6. Moving to faster internet speeds like this could highlight any other bottlenecks in your LAN.

That being said I am able to do PC-PC transfers at rates much higher than 250 Mbps so I would doubt it is anything in the cabling or the switch.

But it is also possible that the first test was a bit of an anomaly.
post #68 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 10:21 AM

Crazy . . . yesterday it was unavailable to me . . . today its available. Maybe all I had to do was post on this forum
post #69 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My network cabling is (I believe) CAT-6.
It wouldn't make any difference. CAT5 will work at gigabit up to the full 100M max. The much shorter distances within a home make it even less critical. While running CAT6 is a good idea, to be ready for 10G, it's harder to work with and provides no benefit to home users at gigabit. It also requires connectors designed to work with it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #70 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 12:40 PM
Veteran

I will try running speedtests in various configs, but I may not go back to Gateway mode as even if I suffer a bit in speed I doubt that I will want this.

I will try the following with the same laptop:
  1. Connect directly to ethernet ports of Gateway - this should be like a direct connection to the internet with no router attached (I guess it isn't wise to do this for very long although I will still have the Windows Firewall enabled)
  2. Connect directly to LAN ports of my Asus RT-N66U router.
  3. Connect directly to port of 24 port switch.
  4. Connect over house ethernet wiring in my office.
It will be interesting to see if there is any variance.
post #71 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 02:19 PM

For anyone that is interested . . . I called in to add Ultimate 1TB and the CSR ended up adding Ultimate 250GB according to my account info. I called back in and they told me the 1TB is not available for my area. I told them the website says I qualify and the new CSR didn't really have any answer to that.

Anyway, apparently the website is unreliable.
post #72 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 02:25 PM
Veteran

I think that it is total BS that you can't get 1TB even if your area hasn't been upgraded to allow 250Mbps speeds. Why should the speeds be irrevocably connected to the monthly data limit?
post #73 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-10, 02:46 PM

Agreed. One has nothing to do with the other.

EDIT: Wow what a saga! I tried chatting with them online and asked if Ultimate 1TB is available to me . . . the guy says it is. I ask him if he can add it but he tells me their system is "performing an automatic upgrade" (code for a system crash) so he can't access my info.

Last edited by kibosh; 2014-01-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Some new developments
post #74 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-15, 01:50 PM
Veteran

FYI - I am having problems with the CGN3 device and I have to reboot it about every 48 hours or more frequently - this appears to be a fairly widespread issue if you have the modem in bridge mode. See the Rogers forum for more details.
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5...hread-id/12897
post #75 of 153 (permalink) Old 2014-01-16, 11:44 PM

LOL! Thanks Wayne ... I just finished reading Frank YYZ's post on Roger's Community forum! I case you miss it, he says that the new Rogers ad which is promoting the new Hitron was shot in his home. He had a Hitron modem but had to have it replaced with the Cisco as it would not maintain a connection when in bridge mode.

Cheers,

jayson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in