Frequent Internet Connection Disruption??? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool Frequent Internet Connection Disruption???

Hey folks,

Been a long time Rogers HI-SPEED internet customer, but lately I've noticed my internet connection is dropping (a lot).

I have what I consider, a somewhat vanilla setup (nothing too fancy by my judgement). I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit).

I've got a :

- LinkSys SPA2102 Phone Adapter (VOIP adapter provided by Primus Canada)
- D-Link DIR-655 wireless router
- Motorola Surf Board 5100 cable modem purchased; service[s] provided by Rogers.

So here's the deal; as of late my connection has been dropping very frequently. I was very confident that it was my router because I was unable to connect to my router's admin page, my VOIP was down but my internet access was intermittently working. After a few resets, my VOIP started working, but then my internet access would go down. It was like only one could work at any given time. Anyhoo...my router was still under warranty (for one more day I kid you not!) and I still had the receipt. Long story short, I took the router back in it's original packaging just today & they were nice enough to give me a straight exchange off the shelf, as opposed to sending it off for warranty repair(s) and making me wait it out.

After hooking up everything, I still had internet access and VOIP problems. I spoke with Primus Canada and they helped me do a soft reset on the LinkSys SPA2102 phone adapter and that seemed to correct everything.

The tech. support rep advised me though that the LinkSys SPA2102 has a feature built into it where it is constantly monitoring your internet connection, and even if your internet connection goes down for a split second it may cause the LinkSys SPA2102 to go into a (sort of) hibernation like state; resulting in the LinkSys SPA2102 needing to be reset.

Even as I'm typing this to you I can see my internet connection going back and forth between being connected and not having any access (in the system tray, an icon of a monitor with a cable appears and when the access is down a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark sits on top of that icon).

Does this sound like an internet connectivity issue from the service provider, or do you think it's leaning towards hardware like the modem or perhaps a faulty cable? I know it's a lot to ask but I'm starting to run on empty here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 09:00 AM

THe PC that is getting intermittent connection......is it wireless or a wired connection?

Have you fully reset your router by unplugging it and plugging it back in after a count of 30?

In the router setup there is a reconnection mode: it can be set to Always-on, on-demand or manual. Ensure it is always-on.

lastly...there is a firmware upgrade available dated May 20th.
1.34NA

If you are having wireless issues .... check the channel setting. Change it from auto to something other than 6. 6 is default and may be conflicting with other devices (other routers).

Wireless N have great range....you'd be surprised how many people have the same routers in a given area .... all with the same default settings.

EC

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile How do I....

How do I change my D-Link DIR-655 wireless router settings to "always on"??? This is becoming a real headache. Everything relies on my internet. What a bummer.

Furthermore....is there any kind of a test (perhaps software) or diagnostic(s) I can run to ensure my router and VOIP router adapter are running the way they should???

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 09:01 AM

DIR-655!!!! log into your router and disable advanced DNS .. this will fix your problem.

(many long threads on the dlink forums about this issue btw)..

Tags
modem , router , service , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in