Can I eliminate the HH 3000 and use my own router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Can I eliminate the HH 3000 and use my own router?

Hi all...

I am thinking of taking advantage of the recently installed Fibe in my area, and also what sounds like a very good plan offered to me by The Source. But I have a concern.

I have read about the alarming levels of radiation emitted by the HH3000. I am hoping I can eliminate it all together.

If I use a Media converter such as this (https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabit-Ethern.../dp/B004FUUY52) along with my own gaming router that I currently have already, will this setup work?

If anyone out there has done something like this please let me know the procedure. thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Radiation?

Short answer is NO, you can't eliminate the HH3000 if you want Fibe Service but you can add your own home router to it.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes radiation. If you google the word radiation with Bell home hub you will see some videos with actual levels measured.

Should i believe it?? Not sure but there are a few stories.

There is also a video of someone eliminating the hub and getting it to work with their own router with the help of the media converter i mentioned. Only problem is that my gaming router has a much more complicated setup than his simple straight forward router.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 11:24 PM
Veteran

Radiation? First off, every device that uses radio waves emits radiation, as do light bulbs, the sun and more. The main radiation would be the typical WiFi stuff. If it put out significant radiation anywhere else in the radio spectrum, it wouldn't be permitted by Industry Canada.

Radiation is a natural part of our environment and without it, we wouldn't exist. Now, microwave radiation, at the levels of a microwave oven, is harmful, but the same frequencies as used in WiFi are not.

Now, what was your question again?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

OK, thanks guys....

After I saw a few videos and reports on line I guess I got to thinking about it.

Anyway.... back to my original question. If I cant eliminate the HH3000 then i will have to use it.

I was hoping to keep taking advantage of the high end gaming router that I currently have. Not saying that the HH3000 could not handle the HD streaming, but I spent the money for high end router and would like to keep using it. The Wifi range on it is very good and the HD streaming is excellent.

I would only be using Bell Fibe for internet purposes, not for TV. I was hoping there was a solution for eliminating the HH3000.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 10:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I was hoping to keep taking advantage of the high end gaming router that I currently have.
Any reason you can't put the HH in bridge mode (PPPoE pass through)? I believe others have done that.
Norman_C likes this.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes...I was considering that method, although I am not quite sure how to configure it...

Would I be causing more lag in streaming if I had both running? seems sort of redundant to have 2 very capable wifi routers next to each other. The only advantage my router has over the 3000 is 8 LAN ports.

Not sure how the 3000 measures up processor (speed) wise??
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 11:19 AM
Veteran

^^^^
You will not have 2 routers on the circuit. The one in the hub is bypassed. However, if the only advantage you see in using your own router is 8 ports, then why not just use the switch portion of it? Or just get another switch. They're cheap.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

What do you mean by......"just use the switch portion of it"??

Is it the 3000 you are referring to? Forgive me... I am not too "internet savvy"
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 12:57 PM
Veteran

You mentioned that your own router has 8 ports. You can use that as an 8 port switch, to expand what you get from the HH. You may want to disable it's DHCP server.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 01:07 PM

Giovanni:
Yes you can put your HH3000 into pass-through (bridge) mode (disabling its WiFi and DHCP). You'll need your HH3000 admin login and password (may be on back of modem) and your Bell user/password for inputting to your own modem.
Then let your own router do the WiFi and DHCP as you probably already have configured. DSL Reports has useful info.
Only issue will likely be if you have technical issues with the HH3000, as Bell will likely refuse assistance because you're using your own router. You want to make sure your HH3000 service works fine before you bring up your own router. You can check modem diagnostics directly with the HH3000 to ensure you are getting the UL/DL you're paying for.
Good luck.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 04:26 PM
Veteran

i have an even easier idea, your third party router, simply go in and turn off the dhcp, it will act as a 8 port switch with wifi, no dhcp, no double natting, THEN connect from your lan port of the home hub to the LAN port of your third party gaming router, be sure NOT to connect to the WAN of your third party gaming router, cus we disabled dhcp, remember? its just acting like a switch, then you now have everything going thru your switch but the dhcp ip addressing is done by bells which it should cus some people may have tv and it needs this to work
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that does make some sense... but in this setup will I not have both devices emitting Wifi? Or do I turn off the Wifi for the HH3000?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 09:49 PM
Veteran

^^^^
You should be able to turn it off. However, you should do some reading. This situation has been covered. It didn't take long for me to find a couple of articles.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-12-11, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I saw a few myself. Not very clear as to exactly what to do to eliminate the HH3000.... I am no I.T. guy so maybe hard for me to understand the language being used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in