Replace Home Hub 2000 with two DSL lines to add router & OPNSense box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Unread 2019-11-23, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Replace Home Hub 2000 with two DSL lines to add router & OPNSense box

Hello,

I have read several posts where many people have replaced have home hub 2000/3000 that have fibre installed, however, my HH2K is internet only and limited to Fibe50 i.e. 50Mbps DL/10Mbps UL. Technician installed two lines into the HH2K DSL ports (RJ-11 jacks). My goal is I don't want to have HH2k in bridge mode and want to use my own router, Asus RT-AC86U and a Qotom (miniPC) for OPNSense firewall/VPN server. However, I recognize the HH2K may be required because of the two DSL lines.

With the current installation is there any possibility of removing the HH2k and use my own router? I don't want the HH2k in bridge mode and then adding my own router and firewall/VPN server after it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Unread 2019-11-24, 12:44 PM
Veteran

The modem in the Home Hub is required. That means it is not easily replaced. (Any replacement modem would need to be compatible and Bell's network they would need to authorize, it which is unlikely.) By putting the Home Hub in bridge mode, you are essentially disabling the router in the Home Hub and only using the modem.

Using an OPNSense or PfSense router is a good idea provided it is well designed and maintained. The Qotom mini PC is a capable option. I'd recommend one of the 4 Intel LAN models.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Unread 2019-11-25, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you. I purchased a J3160 which has four Intel LAN ports for my OPNSense box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in