Is there any way not to be redirected to The Loop? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Angry Is there any way not to be redirected to The Loop?

Every time I close webmail, my browser is redirected to The Loop. Is there any way to turn this off? It's not a big deal, but The Loop is absolutely idiotic. It is nothing but "You won't believe what she looks like now!" and "Kylie's new hairstyle will make your jaw drop!". It is contributing to the dumbing-down of society and I have had enough. I now access mail via IMAP/POP3 just so I don't have to see The Loop every time. But when I do need to use webmail, is there any way to avoid the redirect once I log out?

Thanks,
DD.

Last edited by dare978devil; 2019-02-28 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 03:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
We have the same sort of issue with Rogers Yahoo. We get redirected to the Rogers/Yahoo "News" page when we sign out of Webmail. Luckily I only use Webmail occasionally to see if there's any spam there, or when I travel. It's reflex for me to simply close that browser window.

The rest (most) of the time I'm using Outlook client on my Mac Mini, or Mail on my iPad.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping there was an option I missed. I'll have to find an alternate solution then, something which will redirect the redirection.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 05:55 PM
Veteran

If you know the IP address of "the loop", could you use your localhost file to block it. Not sure you even need to know the IP address but maybe just the url.
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/bloc...ng-hosts-file/

LONSat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Any webmail interface I've seen works this way. They want to site generate traffic and revenue with page views and advertising. Using imap is probably the best way to avoid it. There are methods of blocking specific sites but modern web pages are so complicated it would be a chore to block the whole page. Closing the browser tab immediately after logging out would be an option.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-03-01, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

OK, thanks. It sounds like it would be more trouble than it is worth. It is an annoyance, nothing more. I just wish the content wasn't so trashy. I'll stick to the IMAP route.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-03-01, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Every time I close webmail, my browser is redirected to The Loop.
Why not just close the browser, instead of logging out? It's easy enough to do.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-03-01, 09:56 PM
Veteran

i noticed that too but never complained, i simply just click the X on the browser tab right after it tries to re-direct to the loop web page and that is how i solve my problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in