Is it worth upgrading from HH 2000 to 3000?> - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-03, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Is it worth upgrading from HH 2000 to 3000?>

I have a HH 2000 for over two years and it has been fine except for severe TV pixellation when downloading using 1 GB FTH.

I was offered an upgrade by tech service two years ago but read some bad reviews on the HH 3000. Two weeks ago I was offered the HH 3000 free upgrade promotion and would be paying $5 less for Internet than the $104.95 I am currently paying.
They apparently put some notes down in my file that I would be eligible for this offer but today it was not the case.

My techie friend would have to come over and setup my network for the HH 3000 but is this hardware now stable and is it worth taking the risk to upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 10:28 AM

If you use torrents for downloading, then you can probably solve the problem and keep your HH 2000 by limiting the number of connections in your torrent software. Having too many connections can overload the memory and processor on a router, causing a problem with real-time streams like Fibe TV. Here are a couple of old threads in this forum and the Fibe TV forum.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188...wnloading.html

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/194...ittorrent.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the links Dr. Dave!

I have changed the max. number of global connections to 300 from 850 on uTorrent 2.0.4. The pixellation occurs even when one file is being downloaded at 6 Mb/s. Very annoying when you have a recorded program and it cannot be watched. I am inclined to cancel the TV package in the spring.

Two years ago when I spoke to a Bell tech. when the pixellation was escalated I was told to get a HH 3000 and that the coaxial connection on the HH 2000 could be the problem and HH 3000 has all fibre connection. They offered a free upgrade which I declined at the time because I read of problems with the HH 3000.

Recently an agent demanded a hefty installation fee and a monthly charge for me to get the HH 3000 BUT whatever it has to offer over the HH 2000 (improved wifi?) it does not seem I need or want it at all except to solve the severe pixellation.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 03:20 PM

Did changing the number of connections solve the problem, or is it too soon to tell? As the threads mention, it's not the speed that's the issue, it's the number of connections that overload the router. "Normal" traffic needs a few connections to download a file or maybe a few dozen for a couple of seconds to load a complex web page.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

To soon to tell, I will report back when I know for certain. Thanks!

But, is it worth upgrading from the HH 2000 to the HH 3000? Bell seems to be pushing the HH 3000 I think, is it for 4K?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 08:14 PM

I don't have any experience with either, so I can't comment. There's a main HH 3000 thread in this forum and a few additional threads for specific issues that you can skim over.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-05, 08:24 PM

I upgraded a year ago to get 50GB for a few dollars more than I was paying for 25. The install turned into a big ordeal because they had to switch from copper to a badly placed fibre outlet.

There were a few bumps the first day or two with the phone and TV, but it's been solid ever since. I have no specific data, but the wi-fi signal seems better with the HH3000.

So my opinion: worth it.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-05, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for you opinion flaminghomer! I am reluctant to change what is relatively stable to something new and improved that may prove to be problematic for me to a great extent ... ask me how I know this?

I have a wired home network and only a few cheap IP cameras are on Wifi and they are working fine located in several areas of the house.

I called Bell Internet support to ask a tech. about the benefits of upgrading to the HH3000 from the HH2000. He said the HH3000 has a 2.4 Gb, 5 Gb and 5+ Gb and a built in VAP and could not provide more detail.

It looks like the main TV by the Bell HH 2000 has a VAP and is not connected via cable but is wireless. He implied it should/could have a coax cable connection but that is as far as I got with him and he did not know what the acronym VAP means. Perhaps it could wired via coax to the main TV and this would eliminate the pixellation? I did not allow him to disconnect my phone service so he could run his tests ... that was done before and I don't need more problems.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-11-07, 08:25 PM

I was reluctant to change also, and had I known before the tech showed up that they were going to switch to fibre ("oh, didn't they tell you that when you placed the order?"), I probably wouldn't have done it.

My network is mostly wired, including the PVR which is connected to the HH3000 via ethernet. I still have a VIP2202 so I can't comment on the 4K box, but I do have a wireless STB in the dining room, which works flawlessly, and getting rid of the separate VAP was a plus.

Never had any wireless problems. Granted, I live in a condo so I'm never very far from the hub.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in