Max length from wall to HH3000? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Max length from wall to HH3000?

What is the limit to the length of the phone line from the wall to the modem? I really don't like where the modem is placed now, but I don't want to degrade the signal. I'm thinking I need about 15'-25' cable to get the modem where I want it, would that be okay?

Thanks!
=aw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-11, 06:01 PM
Veteran

The quality of the cable is more important than the length. 15'-25' should be OK but it has to be a good quality. The cheap ones found in dollar stores and some other stores won't work well. Look for a cables with 4 copper conductors, preferably with an AWG rating such as 28AWG. This should be marked on the cable itself. There is a listing for "25ft RJ11 4C Modular Telephone/Phone Extension Line Cord Cable Wire 28AWG Gray" on eBay for a suitable cable. Unfortunately the shipping is high. I've also seen these in local surplus and electronics stores.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-11, 11:30 PM
Veteran

I was told by bell when I wanted to move my modem that 6 FOOT is the MAXIMUM you are permitted to use and that is the exact length of cable they supply to you when you get your modem installed and if they find out you are using something in violation of this, they will ship you a new chord with the proper length, otherwise you will continue to have problems with signal.

I also know that if you want to move it MORE than 6 foot away from the jack, your better off just extending the jack so it does not degrade the signal. its probably better to do this than to go against the advice of what the bell call centre folks had told me, so yeah I advise AGAINST using anything longer than 6 foot in length so yeah that means 15' to 25' is also a no no according to what the nice gentleman at bell told me.

2 conductors cable should suffice because the dsl modem will ignore the other 2 conductors in the cable so you are basically just waisting money, its like building a wall in your backyard that you will never see or use, why pay for it when you do not need it nor do not use it?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-11, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Quote:
your better off just extending the jack so it does not degrade the signal.
I guess I don't see the difference between extending the jack and using an extension cord (assuming both are decent quality). Can you clarify what I'd do differently in each case?

Thanks!

=aw

Last edited by awebber; 2018-09-12 at 01:44 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 11:18 AM
Veteran

There is almost no difference provided a high quality modular cable with copper conductors is used. Needed or not, high quality cables will have 4 conductors. The other two are used for two line phones and business phones. Cheap substandard cables usually have two conductors. A lot of the myths surrounding telephone extension cables is based on substandard cables often sold in discount and department stores. The Bell CSR was misinformed. Most CSRs must follow company policy and repeat it to customers. They may require that the original 6' cable be used for troubleshooting so that they can be sure of cable quality. A high quality 15' or 25' cable should work fine.

Not sure why the modem needs to be moved but there may be another solution. Wifi can be boosted with another router configured as an access point. Extra LAN connections can be added with an unmanaged switch or by using the switch in a second router.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebber View Post
I guess I don't see the difference between extending the jack and using an extension cord (assuming both are decent quality). Can you clarify what I'd do differently in each case?
The telephone line coming into your home is twisted pair, as is all the wiring inside your home. The cable running from the telephone jack to the modem is flat and straight wiring, which doesn't provide the same level of protection from external electromagnetic interference. That is why people recommend that this cable be as short as possible (6 feet) to minimize line noise that can lead to reduced speed and line drops.

You may be able to find twisted pair cable, such as Ethernet cable that will also work. Just make sure it has RJ11 plugs. The standard RJ45 plugs won't fit the telephone jack or the phone jack on the modem.

I'm not saying flat cable won't work, just keep it as short as possible. Nearby sources of EMI will also affect your performance.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 12:07 PM
Veteran

It's called twisted pair but it usually isn't. I've never seen true twisted pair used for residential telephone. CAT5 or higher may be used for custom wiring where it may also used for ethernet. CAT3 was often used but it's twisted to a lesser degree of CAT5 and not enough to provide significant isolation. The cable running into our home is an untwisted 24 conductor bundle (don't ask me why 24 were needed, we use 1 pair.) The wiring run on the outside of the house (installed by Bell about 15 years ago) is as flat as a pancake. The internal wiring is just 4 plain conductors, no twisting and no shielding, as is the internal telephone wiring in most homes. I've even heard of Bell installers using 28AWG modular cables for internal house wiring.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The cable running into our home is an untwisted 24 conductor bundle (don't ask me why 24 were needed, we use 1 pair.)
Every 25 pair cable I've worked with was CAT 3 twisted pair. The black, flat drop wire, run from the home to pole is not twisted. Older home would have 4 wire (red, green, yellow, black) cable that's not twisted. Newer homes were wired with 3 pair CAT 3, but these days people often use 4 pair CAT 5 or better. My home is about 25 years old and has 3 pair CAT 3.

I have seen 25 pair cable in apartment buildings. When I lived in one, I could see all the pairs behind the wall plate. They just run the cable past all the units in a column and connect to the appropriate pair.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I looked around and haven't found anyone selling UTP RJ11, except one listing on eBay for a 9' that might be it. Could I cut off the RJ45 connectors from an Ethernet cable and crimp on RJ11? My skills are pretty rusty.

I also saw on monoprice or cable wholesale or someone, flat RJ11 M-M cables, some listed for data some for voice. But the only difference I could see was straight through for data, swapped pins for voice. Does that make sense and would one of those do it? If it was monoprice I might add one to a prime cables order if they stock out.

Thanks!
=aw

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 04:12 PM

FWIW, I had this same situation...needed the HH3000 on the other side of the room from the phone jack for connection to PVR, Apple TV, etc. I tried a good quality flat phone cord but no dice. Ended up extending the phone jack over to that wall using Cat3 phone cable. That also came in handy when I upgraded to FTTH and now that jack serves as the connection point from the modem to the other phone jacks in the condo.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

My problem is essentially that the HH is sitting on the floor blinking at us. I might be able to put it behind a chair or something but we'll still see the lights. I need >6' to get it better hidden. With a 6'limit I can't even put it up high out of sight.

Could I convert a piece of cat 5 buy drinking on RJ11s if I still have the skills and the tools?

Thanks!
=aw

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

What about a pair of RJ45-RJ11 adapters, like eBay #392023525239 ? The cable is flat but only 13.5cm so one each end would be about 10"?

I guess I could use round phone cable across the basement but don't want to go nuts and put holes on walls.

Thanks!
=aw

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 05:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Could I cut off the RJ45 connectors from an Ethernet cable and crimp on RJ11?
Yep, just make sure you use the right connectors for the cable type. You'd probably want stranded cable for this use. Also, the connectors come with either 4 or 6 contacts, so you'll have to cut off the extra pair(s).

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebber View Post
What about a pair of RJ45-RJ11 adapters, like eBay #392023525239 ? The cable is flat but only 13.5cm so one each end would be about 10"?
"RJ11 6P4C Female To Ethernet RJ45 8P8C Male F/M Adapter Converter Phone Cable" is the opposite of what you need. You would need a RJ11 Male end to plug into a RJ11 jack. I took a quick look and couldn't find one on eBay.

Quote:
I also saw on monoprice or cable wholesale or someone, flat RJ11 M-M cables, some listed for data some for voice. But the only difference I could see was straight through for data, swapped pins for voice. Does that make sense and would one of those do it?
The Monoprice data cables look similar to the others that were discussed. If you decide to go with flat cable, my suggestion is to keep it as short as possible to get the HH3000 out of sight. I don't know if the HH3000 has stats for error rate or line noise that you could check before and after.

Have you thought about taping over the lights with painter's tape? The adhesive should make it easy to peel off in the future.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 09:35 PM
Veteran

I use LightDims for bright LEDs status lights. They are a sheet of adhesive pads that are made for the job. They peel off fairly easily. The Original Strength LightDims work for most things. They dim the light to drastically reduce glare in a dark room but still leave the LED status visible. The sticky strip on Post-it notes works as well but are not as aesthetically pleasing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in