Bell pricing for the elderly and loyal customers. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 11:58 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Most of my customers run VoIP from a hosted PBX via cable or ADSL Internet connection. Some use SIP trunks over their connection Very few get it from Rogers or Cogeco. I haven't seen anyone get it from Bell.

The issue is not VoIP. It's about a reliable Internet connection that can carry it without problems caused by delay, etc.. A congested ISP does not do VoIP very well.

BTW, I have a bundle from Rogers that includes Internet, TV and home phone. By setting up that bundle, my bill dropped by about $50/month. So, I might say they're paying me to have a home phone.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 2018-05-25, 10:19 AM

The issue is not VoIP. It's about a reliable Internet connection that can carry it without problems caused by delay, etc.. A congested ISP does not do VoIP very well.
Given that Andrew.R might be better sticking with the fiber internet, and switching to a third party voip and Bell's internet-based Alt-TV package

Sony KDL40W3000, Denon S740H AVR, Firestick, Synology 209, ASUS PC, Sony BDPS350, turntable, two-zone speakers
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 2018-05-25, 10:49 AM
Veteran

Check out Start.ca. Gigabit internet for $75/mo and phone from $15/mo.

TV is another issue. There isn't much that currently compares well to FibeTV for technology and prices from BDUs are fairly evenly matched. However, other BDUs are often more flexible in providing discounts for existing customers. Some major money could be saved by switching to OTA for network TV and OTT services such as Netflix and CraveTV for series. That may mean missing some shows or having to wait until they are available on OTT services.

Rogers has some offers for new customers that last for 2 years. One includes home phone. Rogers often has offers for existing customers when their existing offers end. The main downside is that their TV equipment is not as good as Bell's. That may change when the Comcast X1 box becomes available to mainstream customers.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 2018-05-25, 11:03 AM

I tried to get a discount from Bell after being a TV customer since ExpressVu launched in 1998 until May 2016. They couldn't care less when I called and cancelled my service immediately. No offers or anything.

I'm now on OTA, and have found alternate sources (in some cases delayed) for all my programming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in