Bell Canada Fibe 100 (gfast) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 09:24 AM
Veteran

I logged in online and saw that Bell Fibe 100 mbps was abailable to me earlier this year. Bell Agents have confirmed my line is capable of speeds of 100mbps thu a single pair without TV service, but they have not been able to tell me if I am getting pair bonding or not, they said only once I upgrade my speeds then their system will determine eligibility of bonding. The reason I was told is that if I have 100mbps internet line and then decide to order TV, the line must be able to support an additional 45mbps for TV service, which my line may not, so they will have to change something. Another thing, is when I choose 100mbps online, it forces me to change modems to the Hub 2000, I currently have the Hub 1000, so is it because the 2000 supports pair bonding and my current modem does not? what if I change package to 100mbps for a month and am not happy and want to go back to 50, will they force me to change modems again? will they keep me on pair bonding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 09:32 AM
Veteran

basically in a nutshell I want to see if I order 100, will my line handle 100 over single pair copper and can my modem hub 1000 handle it? I do not subscribe to TV because my financial situation at the moment
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 09:52 AM
Veteran

Unless things have changed recently, DSL2 can handle up to 50Mbps so 100Mbps will be a bonded pair. Bell never guarantees speeds with DSL so that is strictly "up to" as stated in their fine print. If a speed test on the current line shows 50Mbps then it's highly likely that 100Mbps is possible with a bonded pair. I say highly likely because it depends on whether Bell has another line identical to the first. If a second identical line is not available, it's possible but unlikely, that Bell will route the lines differently than the first, resulting in lower speeds on each line. A bonded pair should double the current internet speed.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 12:28 PM

I've always been curious why people need so much bandwidth. I wonder what they're doing that made them decide that they needed more speed?

I know whenever I download something (game or driver, etc), the speed displayed always seems to be throttled somewhat by the site delivering the file and not any limitation caused by my system not having the required speed.

I had 15Mbps from Bell Fibe for years until they decided to change it to 25Mbps. I never noticed the difference when the change was made. I am able to watch three 1080p channels and one SD channel at once while using the internet and don't notice anything lagging or stuttering, and that was at 15MBps (although now I am at 25MBps as previously stated).

I've looked at the bandwidth required to stream 1080p programs, or Netflix programs and it's really not that high.

So my (serious) question is - why do people want these huge speeds of 100 or 150 or even 1000Mbps. What are they doing to require it?

elyk
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 12:41 PM
Veteran

@Paolo
For pair bonding you will need Home Hub 3000 most likely. When you switch back to 50Mbps you can use Home Hub 3000 as well.
Fibe Tv will definitely work with 100Mbps internet service. I used to have 25Mbps and Fibe Tv. I had no issues with TV service at all as it runs on different frequency than regular internet service. Later I switched to 100Mbps and Bell installed Home Hub 3000 with that service.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 12:48 PM
Veteran

@elyk
The more people you have in the household the higher internet speed you need. If you have some family members watching Netflix 4K for example and others playing games, with higher speeds everybody will be able to do their thing and not affect others.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 03:02 PM

Thanks - I do feel Rogers has slowly increased the prices too. Well - I think I was on deals and they leave or they change the plans and I end up going into a new one at some point and it ends up being more.

I read something above... so, if I have 100/10, watching TV, I guess that's taking up some of the bandwidth? IPTV is truly over the network. As fro speed - big family, and all may be streaming, or gaming, and I work from home, I build software, I connect to databases, etc. I really need the speed. I notice it if it's below 10-20 just working alone without the other stuff.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Bell Fibe does not use any bandwidth from 100Mbps internet service. You can use all the bandwidth when downloading and streaming and Fibe Tv would still work. When watching Netflix or YouTube on Fibe PVR then it uses bandwidth from 100 Mbps service and it shows warning when switching to Netflix that it will be using regular internet.
Bell Alt Tv uses bandwidth from regular internet service so if you have 100 Mbps service it will be used by Alt Tv as well.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 04:35 PM

Yup - Netfix, Crave, Alt TV - that all makes sense. Bell Fibe is separate. Good to know.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
@Paolo
For pair bonding you will need Home Hub 3000 most likely. When you switch back to 50Mbps you can use Home Hub 3000 as well.
Fibe Tv will definitely work with 100Mbps internet service. I used to have 25Mbps and Fibe Tv. I had no issues with TV service at all as it runs on different frequency than regular internet service. Later I switched to 100Mbps and Bell installed Home Hub 3000 with that service.
So I finally got some clarification and was able to talk to a rep on the phone the other day who was NOT a #2 or #3 (There for just the paycheck or commission), but was a #1 (who studies the industry in his spare time and is knowledgeable in the industry and can answer a more skilled question)

He took one look at my profile and told me even though my line can handle more than 100mbps over a single pair, bell does not have such profile active in their system, so they most likely bond 2 pairs of around 50mbps each and bond them at the modem level to make it 100mbps, and since i have an older modem that does not support bonding he said they have to give me the next modem up which is the hub 2000 which supports bonding. Also because my home was wired with 2 pair telephone wire (4 conductor) both pairs must be used and will run from the d-mark to the modem, whew, thank goodness i no longer have a wet loop (home phone line) cus if i did, they would have to run a new line from the dmarc to where my modem is located just for the pair bond. Unlike my parents house which has 3 pair wiring (6 conductor) 1 pair will be used for the first dsl line, another pair will be used for the second dsl line and the third pair will be used for the phone line. this is the ideal method, but bell does not wire up the houses the developers do so its beyond bells control.

anyways I thought about it and im quite happy with 50mbps. As for why we need that much, I have a family of 4 my wife is always streaming movies on her netflix, we have no cable tv so we use the internet to stream legal tv feeds to our living room TV, i have a small business and i need internet connection for doing off site backups and data transfers, and we have 2 small kids who like to watch tv episodes of peppa pig and other cartoons on the tablet, and we also have other devicesl ike a radio that streams internet music, an alexa which for voice commands, a chrome cast to cast videos to our tv, etc. all of these device use internet traffic,the bigger the pipe the better, less buffering, faster, etc.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo
As for why we need that much,............
Yep, makes sense. Lots and lots of traffic.

Quote:
....cus if i did, they would have to run a new line from the dmarc to where my modem is located just for the pair bond.
This confuses me. I have a single pair of wire in use at my home. It handles all internet traffic, FIBE TV and landline phone on the single pair. The second pair is left open in case of a fault on the first pair.

Why would they need to add a separate pair for landline phone? The bandwidth is almost negligible.

elyk
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 12:54 PM
Veteran

The reason why is because when Bell does a new internet install, they put a POTS splitter in your basement where the telephone line comes in. they do this to AVOID USING ADSL/VDSL Micro filters in all your phone jacks, so the primary pair in your inside wiring (Blue/Blue white) will be for your Landline, the second pair 9Orange/Orange white) will be for the DSL, (up to 50 mbps) THIS IS THE WIRE THAT GOES TO YOUR BELL MODEM. if you need pair bonding, you have no extra pairs to use if you have this kind of wiring. bell probably has to get creative or move the modem to your basement which makes it easier for them to do the install but does not give the best coverage within your house. See what I mean?
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 02:03 PM

Quote:
See what I mean?
Yeah, interesting. I guess by using the second pair for exclusive ADSL it allows maximum space on that pair.

My system is the standard primary pair (Blue/BlueWhite) connected at my demarcation panel to the POTS splitter. Then the DSL unfitered output of that splitter connects a foot away to the modem (also mounted on my demarcation panel). So I only use the single pair to pass all landline/FIBE TV/ Internet.

elyk
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 03:05 PM
Veteran

true, since your modem is near your demarcation they can do that, if your modem was somewhere upstairs in a bedroom, they would use the orange/orange white pair of your Inside Wiring,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in