Bell Gigabit Fibe Discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 04:04 PM

Is there anything I can do to get better results? Shouldn't I be getting better then 120 mbps download speed? Would a mesh network help with boosting wifi speeds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 04:32 PM
Veteran

What site is being used for the speed test?

Mesh may or may not improve wifi speed. It depends on the mesh system being used and how it is installed.
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 06:30 PM
Veteran

If your getting proper speed test when running the test thru your modem but much slower when running it from your device then its likely your device is the bottle neck and its built in network card mite not support gigabit speed and only in the hundreds only. Lots of older devices have this issue.

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 07:14 PM
Veteran

I've seen slow LAN speeds with the Realtek controllers built into many motherboards. Intel controllers tend to be much better. Updating the driver manually can sometimes fix the problem. Only getting 350Mbps with a gigabit LAN chipset is not that unusual. 120Mbps is quite slow. There could be other issues such a slow disk write speeds or high CPU load contributing to the slow speeds.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
This top speed idea they sell you is total BS it only exists under ideal test conditions you will likely never find a server outside your local network that will ever come close to delivering the top speed.
FWIW, on Rogers, most speed test sites provide similar results to Rogers and are better than advertised. Speedtest sites are generally on ISPs and so would have very good performance.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-12, 10:26 AM

I prefer the Xfinity speed test. Always is close to my published speed, usually a bit over, and it uses IPV6 as a default but one can retest using IPV4. The two close together in speed is reassuring that Rogers isn't doing any fancy footwork behind the curtain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-12, 11:11 AM
Veteran

^^^^
The Rogers Speedtest also tests IPv6. You can see that with Wireshark.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 2018-11-12, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

This thread is about Bell Gigabit and 1.5 Gigabit services. Other ISP's speed tests aren't relevant unless you want to verify that they do reach gigabit speeds on external speed tests.

@cptcarter here is a Bell speed test that you can run on your PC.
https://support.bell.ca/Internet/Internet-Speed-Test

If you still get slow speeds then the problem is probably with the PC or Ethernet cable, since you've already verified that the connection is delivering gigabit speeds to the router.

Your Wi-Fi speeds point to your device as well. I assume you've tested within 5-10 feet of the Bell router with no obstructions.

EDIT: You said you're "getting 120 mbps down and 350 mbps up. I know that I won't get the full speed but shouldnt I get better speeds through ethernet? With wifi, I get anywhere between 30 - 60 mbps down."

Your Wi-Fi speeds would be typical of a device using 2.4 GHz. Is this a computer or mobile device? If the device has a 5 GHz radio, confirm that it is being used. Double-check that your Bell router is using 5 GHz as well.

Your computer needs a fast processor to get gigabit speeds on a speed test. You also need at least a decent quality Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the Bell router to the computer. Some anti-virus programs can dramatically slow down CPUs. Double check that your network interface is running full-duplex gigabit or automatic.
timlocke likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-11-12 at 02:02 PM.
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 2020-01-23, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

$400 million investment by Bell Canada in Hamilton's digital infrastructure
(Highlights)

Bell Canada and the City of Hamilton are pleased to announce they will be moving forward together with a Bell investment of approximately $400 million to expand broadband Internet access in urban and rural areas of Hamilton, the largest digital infrastructure investment in the City's history.

Over the next five years, Bell and a Bell-funded team of City of Hamilton staff will bring direct fibre network connections to more than 200,000 homes and business locations throughout the City with zero cost to taxpayers. The network will provide consumers with access to data speeds up to 1.5 gigabits per second, the fastest home Internet speeds in Canada.

Working in partnership with the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce's Digital Infrastructure Task Force, gaps in digital infrastructure across the community were identified. Subsequently, the City worked to increase investment in digital infrastructure to address the gaps. As part of the plan to enhance Hamilton's standing as a Digital City, Mayor Eisenberger requested that broadband speeds be enhanced for all of urban Hamilton, business parks and major commercial areas, and rural areas in the community.

In addition to premium network support for the City's business community, the Bell project includes the expansion of high-speed Bell Wireless Home Internet service to 8,000 homes in rural Hamilton. This innovative 5G capable technology delivered over Bell's advanced LTE wireless network provides broadband residential Internet access for small towns, farming communities and other less populated locations.

Bell will work in close cooperation with the City and local contractors, including Aecon, Telecon and Sentrex, to employ innovative techniques to minimize disruption to residents and businesses throughout the project. The majority of the network build will consist of new fibre installed underground, with additional fibre located on Bell, Hydro One and Alectra Utilities poles.

Tags
bell internet , fibe internet , gigabit ethernet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in