Bell hijacking browser sessions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Bell hijacking browser sessions

I am switching Internet and phone provider from Bell. They keep hijacking my browser sessions to display a message telling me to call a 1-800 number to talk about options.

For one thing, I called and asked about options before I decided to switch, and they wouldn't make a reasonable adjustment.

But I am really bothered by the browser session hijacking. They have no right to intercept my web browsing session with their ads and I am really pissed off that they think this is a reasonable thing to do. It just makes me less likely to ever do business with them again. When my TV contract with them expires I am going to switch that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 11:59 AM
Veteran

Can you change your DNS server to Google?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that is an interesting idea. I've already got DNS configured to Google in the Connection Hub. Maybe Bell isn't using DNS to hijack sessions? This is a work laptop and I can't administer it, but I can just put up with it for another week. The hijacking seems to have stopped for now anyhow.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 02:27 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Pop-Up blockers?

I assume your work IT dept. won't allow 3rd party pop-up blockers or ad stoppers on that machine.

Have you asked them about it? They may have a solution,

Having had a problem years ago trying to add a Mac as an on-line machine 'for the good of the company' even, I doubt IT people will bend even slightly.

Worth the question, though.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
They keep hijacking my browser sessions
Perhaps you should complain to the government about this. This is part of what net neutrality is all about where an ISP may not interfere with your communications. Maybe let Michael Geist know too.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 05:49 PM

What does Bell say when you talk to them about this issue?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

You assume a Bell rep would have a coherent response, or that I want to talk to them about it. I just want to be rid of them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-09, 07:32 PM
Veteran

Bell uses the AdChoices service... the same service providing ad's to even this forum.

Since Bell knows your IP number they can have AdChoices target you directly with their ad's. It's not a highjack but just a targeting ad system.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 12:42 PM

It's true.
I visited an online eyeglass seller's website today, now, every single advertisement is for that website and the glasses I looked at...
Creepy.
Nem, who is a little creeped out.

The preceding post and all opinions expressed are solely those of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of any other person or business
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 01:01 PM

I use adblocker and noscript in FireFox. I don't see most of that junk.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 06:19 PM
Veteran

I've seen that happen with Amazon as well. Everything I looked at on Amazon started popping in ads up on other sites. It's somewhat disconcerting but I understand the technology involved. I've installed Do Not Track Me and clean tracking cookies fairly regularly. Ad blockers just hide the tracking but don't stop it.

Google's tracking ID can be reset as well. Companies like Google are becoming much more sophisticated with their tracking. They don't rely on cookies or other things that can be easily erased. Their tracking ID is more pervasive and more resilient to typical cleaning measures. Having the same Google login ID across browsers, email clients and operating systems gives them a much broader picture of a person's activities.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 08:11 PM

Staying logged in instead of logging out every time you go to a site also helps them track you.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-28, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

It sure did not look like a targeted ad. The page had a Bell HTTP address and was displayed when I attempted to access a non-Bell web site. It only appeared a few times when I first started up my browser.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 03:40 AM

Angry wgp bell issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
Can you change your DNS server to Google?

can someone help me about that wgp bell thing .... i can access alot of site but somehow there s sum i cant go on and pop me that page for registring that damn home hub 2000 ..... to be sure to have an answer from some one hit me on my email [email protected] . im pretty sure i wont be able to log back in here it will happen the same pop up wgp thingy thanks in advance .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in