MTS TV question.. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question MTS TV question..

Hi..new to posting so hope this works

Just got offered an MTS special and am wondering how this installation works. We have MTS high speed internet and I have this connected via D-link router. They said the installation would be over the course of 2 hours. Guess my question is: The connection is through the phone line to the box and then via co-axial to the TV? Sorry for the silly question (newbie) but trying to figure out the logistics on how this will work. Right now we have just basic cable through Shaw and decided to catch-up to the times! We have a new TV and are hoping the digital feed will give a great pic. Is the picture good with MTS vs Shaw? Is there a DVI to HDMI required?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 04:26 PM

The installers will need to run a new wire from their box (the one on the side of your house) to the set top box. Other tvs will be connected via existing coaxial wires and will also have little antennas attached to them for the remotes to work. I dont have any complaints about picture quality and think it is better than Shaw and you will definately see a difference since you only have analog cable. You dont need to worry about HDMI or anything. I dont think your internet router will affect anything either. Hope that helps. Any more questions let me know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply....another question.

You mention wire..is it connected via the phone jack to the box then coaxial to TV? That would help me figure out some logistics..

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 11:47 PM

Its not like the internet, nothing connects to the phone jack. They run a seperate different wire from whereever the phone wire comes into the house directly to the cable box. From the box they use the existing coaxials and a splitter to connect the other tvs. They shouldnt have to use any new coaxials unless yours are really old which may decrease the picture quality or at least it did in ours.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-16, 11:01 AM

They will install an Ethernet cable (Cat5) from where the phone line enters the house to the set top box (STB). The STB is usually located next to your main TV. If you have any other TVs they will connect your existing coax to the back of the STB.

The main TV can be connected by coax, composite video or S-Video. Audio is either through the coax, stereo (red/white RCA cables) or digital audio. The digital audio is either optical or Coax S/PDIF depending on the box you get.

An Ethernet cable runs from the back of the STB to your router. They will remove your DSL modem and filters.

All of the above assumes you've ordered the regular digital service, not the hi-def service. I would suggest holding off on purchasing a HDTV box since MTS is planning to introduce a totally different platform geared to HDTV later this year.

The standard digital MTS picture is usually slightly better than analog cable. If you currently have a fuzzy or grainy picture you'll notice a big improvement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-16, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That is interesting, thanks for the help. You mention CAT 5..actually the previous owner ran CAT5 throughout the home and so all jacks in the house have that capability. Would that help the install? When the line comes into the house, it goes to a electrical box that then splits the line to the subsequent CAT 5 lines going to various locations. I would imagine then that once he brings the line into the box, then it could tie into the network cable that is there already?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-16, 02:23 PM

Here is the exact wiring. The outside phone line goes to a VDSL filter/splitter. One line connects to your existing phone lines and carries the voice frequencies. The other line is a dedicated Cat5 cable that runs to the STB and carries the VDSL frequencies for your TV and Internet.

I don't know if they'll use existing CAT 5. If they do, you won't be able to use that jack for voice or network data. They may consider it if you have a finished basement and it would be very difficult to run additional wiring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in