mts(rg2200) with tivo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-12-26, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

mts(rg2200) with tivo

Got my unit working, but its way to slow changing channels. When i hit channel up/down on the tivo remote if its on channel 22 you can see it types in 23 and then it changes about 2 more seconds after that. So about 4 seconds after i hit channel up for the channel to actually change. Is there anyway to fix this?? or should i try differant IR codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 12:28 AM

Slow to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by canad View Post
Got my unit working, but its way to slow changing channels. When i hit channel up/down on the tivo remote if its on channel 22 you can see it types in 23 and then it changes about 2 more seconds after that. So about 4 seconds after i hit channel up for the channel to actually change. Is there anyway to fix this?? or should i try differant IR codes?
No way to speed it up that I'm aware of - I get the same behaviour.

Dave S.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

really, that absoluty sucks. Even if you tell it to use [enter] after entering channel number it's still slow. I wonder why the tivo changes channels up/down by typing the number and not like how the original remote does

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 09:55 AM

I find that its really only a problem when trying to watch live TV, and I do that so little since I got my TiVo that its not an issue for me. Why would I browse the actual channels, when I can search the listings?

Dave S.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Tivo frustrating expeirience

I picked up a tivo today. I spent 3 hours trying to set it up. Called tivo support 3 times - the first 2 times i got hung up on after waiting on hold for 15 minutes, and 8 minutes. The 3rd time I was on the phone with them for over an hour (including about 15 minutes of hold time) We can not get the setup to get passed the lineup not determined screen. I have gone back and changed my postal code, even selected a code the tech had on file R2C1 (only 4 digits but tried anyway) still no luck. Now I am told I will have to wait for a service tech to contact me, with my luck it will be during the day when I am unable to do anything as I work. According to MTS's website Tivo is "absolutely" compatible. When I purchased the unit from Bestbuy I was told it was not, that their geeks have tried unsuccesfully getting it to work with MTS, and they have had a number of returns from MTS customers. I notice on this site that there are some MTS customers who have successfully set up tivo. Any suggestions what I should try? Am i better off sending this back to Bestbuy, and waiting for MTS to roll out their PVR sometime in the next year? I must add, I got a good deal on the tivo, paid only $85. Bestbuy beat Futureshops $99 price by 10%, and I had a $5 reward zone certificate.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 10:29 PM

I'm guessing your TiVo is a faulty unit.

I didn't have to do anything special to get mine to work with MTS TV - I just followed the instructions as given. Well, with the exception of getting it to change the channels on my MTS STB - but that story is told in another thread.

Persevere - you'll like your TiVo when they get it working for you.

Dave S.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Dave, I got my unit working. I had set it up incorrectly. After reading information from other sites as well, I found that the dual tuner does not work, and therefore me splitting the coax off the back of the MTS box must have caused problems.

It looks like my first official tivo recording is working right now, (I notice the light is red on my tivo)
So it is my understanding that I am not able to watch live tv, while recording with mts, unless I use another remote.
I guess I will play around with it, and see what it can do.
Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canad View Post
I wonder why the tivo changes channels up/down by typing the number and not like how the original remote does
To ensure reliability, I assume. There's always a chance that a household member will have changed channels on the box without using the TiVo remote, at which point the box and TiVo are out of sync regarding what channel is actually displayed. This would cause TiVo to display incorrect channel info and record the wrong shows. Imagine the tech-support calls.

If you want the fastest possible channel-surfing speed, use your device's remote -- but still face a ~2-second delay caused by TiVo digitizing, buffering, and playing back the live signal.

Honestly, once you have a DVR fully-programmed with all your favorite shows (plus TiVo's Suggestions), you may find channel-surfing an unpleasant, distant memory.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 03:25 PM

KISSWpg - If you plug your cable directly into your TV (and select "cable" for your TV tuner) do you get anything on channels 2-13 ?

Yes: this is the same thing I have. Split the cable and run one connection to your STB and one to the TiVo. Then connect the STB A/V outputs to the TiVo A/V inputs (use S-Video cable if you have the option) and select analog+digital cable in the TiVo configuration. This way your TiVo can record two analog channels or one digital (via the STB) + one analog. Note: try not to have any other splitters between where the cable comes into the house and the TiVo / STB splitter.

No: unfortunately, you will be limitted recording/watching one channel at a time (same problem for sat folks). This is where the cableco/satco DVRs have the advantage 'cause they can record two channels at once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in