MTS TV IPTV - What we will see introduced in the spring - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS TV IPTV - What we will see introduced in the spring

Here is a link to Bell IPTV offerings:

HTTP://entertainment.bell.ca/en/index.html

Based upon reading the various press releases MTS has released, this is precisely what will be offered in the Spring of 2009 here in Winnipeg by MTS. The hardware Bell is using will be the same as well as the functionality of the box. The only difference will be the programming lineup and cost.

Based on all the info contained in the link posted, Shaw can't hold a candle to MTS! The benefit of being able to tape 3 different channels simultaneously while watching a fourth is amazing. The ability to program your PVR remotely via phone or computer is another huge bonus!

Take a look at the link and all the benefits you will realize with the upcoming changes MTS is introducing soon........

I am presently with MTS and have been patiently waiting for an HDPVR.......I was contemplating switching to Shaw but, after reading all the features in the link above I am willing to WAIT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 01:48 PM

Talking WOW!!

Well if this does come to pass and the programing is good, they it will be a sure fire winner for MTS. I would consider moving over after a few months to see if it pans out as stipulated.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-11-30, 09:17 AM

That sounds about right from what I've been able to glean, RogersGuy. I'm hoping they get started before spring though. It's going to be a long winter!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-11-30, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

By the way......The HDPVR box MTS will be using is the Motorola VIP1200
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-11-30, 12:53 PM

Thanks.
It's good to see it has HDMI, though I'm hoping it will be able to deliver HD through the coaxial as well, so we can have HD on a second set.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 02:14 AM

omg its got 2 USB 2.0 ports.

wonder if this will this allow us to watch vids from a thumbdrive?
***EDIT***
from what ive found, it is set by the vendor, so MTS has the ability to allow us to use the USB ports or not.

here's a site with an installation manual.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3683366/mo...-1200-receiver

Lorne, according to the manual, no.

Now i wonder how MTS will handle the upgrade? Free to current HD customers? because i paid for the STB i currently use for HD (or did I?) well i paid 149.00 for it but is that a purchase or what?

***edit***, again.

hmmm, the 1200 doesn't have a hdd, whereas the 1216 had a 160Gb hdd, so will it be 1200 for HD but non pvr and the 1216 for hdpvr?

Last edited by fingerb; 2008-12-01 at 02:37 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 07:22 AM

The USB ports will be disabled on the boxes at the network level as there will be no features that will use them at launch.

The setup is the same as Sasktel/Telus/Bell/AT&T/BT. You will have one RG, then a set top box for each TV. This is required as it is MTS's HDTV service offering, however each TV set does not have to be a HD TV. MTS customers in Winnipeg will have the option of either the current service or the new one (but not both).

Pricing/plans won't be available until it is launched in Portage, which is the current test site. The service will feature 30 HD channels at launch.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The PVR will be a HDPVR and your right the model will be the Motorola VIP1216
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

AT&T has already introduced the IPTV service along with the same hardware MTS will be making available this spring. The service is called U-Verse. They have a very slick site with a great video explaining all the details, etc........

Http://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do

Once there click on experience uverse live. Then enter zip code 90210
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 02:22 AM

link did not work, here is a correct link

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 10:33 AM

All I can say is WOW....thanks for the link. If MTS is able to pull this off we are in for a real treat. Shaw won't know what hit them......Does anyone know what saktel uses for PVR? I ask because I hear that they have had a lot of "growing pains"

Thanks for the link!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 01:13 PM

I would have to agree with the WOW statement but I'm having problems navigating the site. From what I did see is the option to record 4 shows at one time which is excellent. How big is the hard drive if this is a DVR unit and is there a external Hard drive option for additional storage? Also what would be on the price tag ($) for something like this?

Another thing for you MTS customers is you still need a lot more HD channels then switching to MTS might be in my mind but not even close until then.

Shaw Gateway + 2 Portals, Samsung 55' Smart TV, XBOX360 Slim, XBOX 1, PS3, PS4, Nintendo WII, Nintendo Switch
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 01:51 AM

i believe its 160Gb, gives 187 hour SD and 35 hours HD(i think). apparently when this launches there will be 30 HD channels?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 10:56 AM

AT&T is introducing 2 new models so least there are future options for MTS.
  • Motorola VIP1225 with a 250 GB hard drive
  • Cisco IPN4320 with a 320 GB hard drive
Apparently there is no external drive option, however at least one person successfully installed an internal 500 GB ST3500841ACE in a VIP1216. Obviously modding a box you don't own would be a risky process, but at least there aren't the technical limitations that the Shaw Motorola DCT boxes have.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 03:37 AM

STBs are rental only (no purchase option). PVR access is $5/mo. 30 HD Channels.

Last edited by davidb1; 2009-01-15 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in