MTS TV: US Super Station theme? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

MTS TV: US Super Station theme?

Why does MTS require you to subscribe to either Movie Central or Encoure Avenue to have the super package? I have to pay an extra 16.99 or at least 8.99 in order to get the super package. Shaw doesn't require a movie central subscription to have these channels.

What happened to more of what you want and less of what you don't want? MTS always advertises that they bundle there channels better than Shaw but after looking over the way Shaw bundles there channels they are way cheaper than MTS and don't require me to subscribe to movie channels just to have the US superstations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 08:58 PM

I believe this is a CRTC requirement. I think that Bell TV and Starchoice are the same. I'm not sure how Shaw gets around this. I recall Shaw used to have the same rules.

Maybe Shaw is doing what they usually do - ignore the rules until the CRTC catches up with them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
I believe this is a CRTC requirement. I think that Bell TV and Starchoice are the same. I'm not sure how Shaw gets around this. I recall Shaw used to have the same rules.

Maybe Shaw is doing what they usually do - ignore the rules until the CRTC catches up with them.
Why would this be a requirment by the CRTC?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 10:40 PM

Because the CRTC believes that you should watch only Canadian crap...and have to pay dearly to watch anything American that's not considered a regular network.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 08:40 AM

This is an old rule that actually still applies but the U.S. superstations are available by themselves on both Bell TV and Starchoice, (as well as Shaw apparently) because they bundle them with Family channel which was licensed as a premium channel even though it is now sold as a specialty channel. This stand-alone package is usually not advertised because you are encouraged to take the premium movies package to receive them but it is sort of "grandfathered" in as an option for about $5 a month for companies that have been around for a long while when Family was still a "scrambled" channel. MTS, like other IPTV providers (AliantTV, Telus ect) are quite new and would never have sold them with just Family channel and are not obligated to offer the superstations without TMN/MC or Super Channel. So in summary, Shaw, SC and Bell TV ect who offer this discreetly are not breaking any CRTC regulations but are simply not denying the old package, that no longer should exist as a pay package, to anyone who might know of it from years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in