MTS TV and DT Tivo - can I record 2 channels at once? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down MTS TV and DT Tivo - can I record 2 channels at once?

Tonight is the first time I've had a conflict that I can't resolve with time-shifting. So I'd like to use the second tuner on my TiVo to record two shows at once - the US political debate and the Canadian political debate.

Since MTS TV can service up to 3 TVs at once, I should be able to use two of those channels to service the two TiVo tuners, no?

How to go about that?

Dave S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 07:48 PM

I don't have a Tivo but I did look into getting one, so here are some ideas. I'll assume your Tivo is connected to your MTS box with the yellow composite video cable. Tivo can only record one channel this way.

You can record one channel and watch the other one "live" by tuning your TV to channel 8 and using your MTS channel 8 remote to select the correct channel.

Although I haven't tried it, it should be possible to connect your coax cable to the 2nd Tivo tuner and use it in "manual mode". In other words you would tune the Tivo to channel 8 and use your channel 8 RF remote to select the channel you want to watch. It may even be possible to record in manual mode on the second Tivo tuner if you really need that feature.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
I'll assume your Tivo is connected to your MTS box with the yellow composite video cable. Tivo can only record one channel this way.
Actually, my Tivo is connected to the MTS box with the S-Video cable, plus left/right audio. But I think your conclusion is correct, for that one input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Although I haven't tried it, it should be possible to connect your coax cable to the 2nd Tivo tuner and use it in "manual mode". In other words you would tune the Tivo to channel 8 and use your channel 8 RF remote to select the channel you want to watch. It may even be possible to record in manual mode on the second Tivo tuner if you really need that feature.
Instructions for the Tivo are very sparse. There is no indication on the back of the Tivo which inputs will feed the second tuner. The box marked 'input' has composite and S-Video connections. I assume that will feed one tuner. I could connect Co-Ax to the Co-Ax input over near the end of the box. I have no knowledge that it will feed the second tuner, but on another night, when I have time to experiment, that would be worth a try.

Why can't they make things clear in the instructions????
(rhetorical rant).

Dave S.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 08:44 PM

its not going to work. these phone companies that provide tv service can only stream one single channel to one digital box at any given time.

the lines can not handle what a cable company can.

you are going to have hook your tivo up to a different digital box in your house and record it that way. there is no way to split the signal without having two digital boxes.

i know thats how sasktel operates, and sasktel is apparently 'further ahead' in technology then mts. its one of the many draw backs with youtube tv service
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
its not going to work. these phone companies that provide tv service can only stream one single channel to one digital box at any given time.

the lines can not handle what a cable company can.

you are going to have hook your tivo up to a different digital box in your house and record it that way. there is no way to split the signal without having two digital boxes.

i know thats how sasktel operates, and sasktel is apparently 'further ahead' in technology then mts. its one of the many draw backs with youtube tv service
I don't think you understand how MTS TV works.

Perhaps Sasktel can only stream one channel, but MTS can feed three different channels to three different TV sets in the house at one time.

So tonight, I am recording the US debate on my Tivo, and at the same time watching the Canadian debate on a different TV set.

I just don't know how to channel two of the three available feeds to my Tivo at the same time.

Dave S.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 10:05 PM

so what you saying is that, each tv in the house can be watching a different channel? sasktel is the same way.

however, each stream to each tv can only carry one single channel at a time.

thats why i said each digital box can only recieve one channel. but if you have 4 boxes in the house, they can each watch a different one. but only one at a time.

unlike cable where you could split it as many times as possible.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
so what you saying is that, each tv in the house can be watching a different channel? sasktel is the same way.

however, each stream to each tv can only carry one single channel at a time.
To that extent, I agree.

Quote:
thats why i said each digital box can only recieve one channel. but if you have 4 boxes in the house, they can each watch a different one. but only one at a time.
But there is only one digital box in my house, and it streams to one TV set on channel 4, another on channel 8, and yet another to channel 11.

That same digital box also provides high speed internet to my network.

So the problem I'm having is more with not knowing the Tivo internals, rather than getting multiple channels from MTS TV.

Dave S.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-05, 10:35 AM
Veteran

The MTS box is like 3 separate set-top boxes, in concept. However two of the conceptual boxes output only RF on those other two channels (8 and 11 in your case), and are controlled with RF remotes.

The Series 2 DT TiVo has support for only one box, on its A/V input, and only IR (on the primary unit address) or serial control (not compatible with the gateway). Its dual tuner feature is only supported when you have analog cable; which MTS simply does not provide.

That said, you could manually record one of the other RF channels from the gateway, using its RF remote to change channels. You will not get automatic recording from the TiVo at all. You can also use TiVos analog tuners it in a limited fashion with antenna.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in