MTS rural progress on enhanced broadband? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-03-14, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Question MTS rural progress on enhanced broadband?

Any word on how MTS's rural testing is going with their new service?Do any MTS insiders know when this new service will be available in Winnipeg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-03-27, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I think I may have answered my own question by talking to a Shaw rep. yesterday. He told me MTS's new system won't be available in Winnipeg for at least 2 more years. Apparently it will be tested in Portage la Prairre later this year, then Winnipeg after that. He says he knows this because his friend works at MTS. Of course he might just be blowing smoke rings.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-27, 09:41 PM
Rookie

It will be tested outside of Winnipeg first, no official test site has been announced although I would expect in the next two months there will be. The IPTV service uses a different platform then the existing MTStv service currently available in Winnipeg. As such, existing features MTStv customers enjoy would likely need to be developed, integrated and tested (on screen Caller ID and voice mail notification, e-mail and photos on demand, new features etc) prior to being taken live in a market the size of Winnipeg. However, the new service offers advances in High Definition and an integrated Personal Video Recorder, which MTS is looking to roll out as soon as possible. That said, there is no fixed launch date for Winnipeg, so I would take the "two year" comment with a grain of salt at this point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in