Does anyone know when MTS will announce more? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
I was in an MTS Connect store tonight and a sales rep told me they'll be upgrading to 30 HD channels and a PVR that will "blow away anything Shaw or Bell have".
I said "It better".
Anyway, he says it'll happen beteen December and March 15.
Yah, but will they still charge for there basic HD channels like they do now where as shaw and bell give them to you if you already subscribe to the SD channels? Also will we need another phone line and have to pay $100 for install? If so, forget it. Shaw offered me a free HDPVR I may switch unless MTS comes up with something better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 02:37 PM

You don't need another phone line.

I have no idea what their pricing will be like if and when they upgrade their HD package.
If you want to sign up with Shaw, go sign up with Shaw. The only reason you might wait for MTS is their new HD package may be better if and when it's released. Or it might not. I don't know.
I also have no idea about their install fee, but it will probably be hefty and I will probably pay it. If you can get free installation and a free PVR from Shaw, then good for you. Call them now, operators are standing by.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 03:24 PM

How did you manage to get a free hd pvr from Shaw??? I've been impatiently waiting for the new MTS HD service and would have switched to Shaw long ago if I could swing a free hd pvr. I might switch anyway due to MTS's lack of details on their new service. I e-mail them a while back to find out if the new service will be available at my house (I live in Portage La Praire) as a technician advised me it won't be available everywhere, and still have received no reply. I'm starting to get more and more fed up with MTS's disorganization...

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite View Post
How did you manage to get a free hd pvr from Shaw??? I've been impatiently waiting for the new MTS HD service and would have switched to Shaw long ago if I could swing a free hd pvr. I might switch anyway due to MTS's lack of details on their new service. I e-mail them a while back to find out if the new service will be available at my house (I live in Portage La Praire) as a technician advised me it won't be available everywhere, and still have received no reply. I'm starting to get more and more fed up with MTS's disorganization...
They offered it to me! If you are coming over from a competior apparently they will give you one plus there is no install charge. This deal does sound temping even if MTS does realease a PVR it will probally be around $700. Just call Shaw and tell them your on MTS and see what they offer you if your interested.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 04:32 PM

I think if you talk to Shaw and tell them you're with MTS, they will offer it.

Last edited by umbrau44; 2008-11-22 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell today.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana_01 View Post
They offered it to me! If you are coming over from a competior apparently they will give you one plus there is no install charge. This deal does sound temping even if MTS does realease a PVR it will probally be around $700. Just call Shaw and tell them your on MTS and see what they offer you if your interested.
If the MTS PVR is really that expensive, they will lose a lot of customers over it. That's completely out of touch with what Shaw, StarChoice and Bell are doing right now.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 11:53 AM

MTS is trying hard to compete, but they're a small player in a very competitive (and rapidly evolving) business.
It seems like their current HD package is a bare minimum stopgap that they put together while they upgraded their system and hardware. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
Honestly, the only reason I didn't switch to Shaw this year is I don't want to change my e-mail address. I'm just hoping MTS will catch up next year.

Last edited by Lorne; 2008-11-23 at 11:54 AM. Reason: relevance
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrau44 View Post
I think if you talk to Shaw and tell them you're with MTS, they will offer it.
Competition is a wonderful thing. I've heard you can get sales agents to cut you deals on the phone. You're negotiating a contract, after all.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 10:47 PM

MTS IPTV!

MTS IPTV is currently being tested in Brandon and Portage la Praire markets. They say it could be ready by spring. I would guess early to late summer as MTS are never on time. It is going to be on Micrsosoft Media center platform with 30 + HD channels. One box with streaming to other T.Vs and all having the ability to record and play previously recorded material. It will be interesting when MTS finally catches up with HD.

To anyone who is either on MTS, Bell or Starchoice, Shaw is indeed offering a dual tunner PVR and up 2 digital box free on a switch over to them. I was offered it and decided to stay put for now and will see how MTS IPTV works out. Interesting times ahead in Manitoba.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 07:36 AM

The PVR will come with a made-in-Manitoba price . Needless to say far better then the competition's current, given that the MTS PVR is superior to Shaw or Bells.

Testing is in Portage (not Brandon), and select MTS support sites/employees in Winnipeg. Full launch will likely be in January for Portage, and late spring for Winnipeg.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 04:46 AM

Spoke to a MTS guy today...it gonna be good as mentioned. 30 hd stations. They will rent the PVR out for 4 bucks a month. Cant wait for this, he said March is the expected roll-out.
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 11:46 AM

Still waiting on roll-out in Portage. I've got family there who have tried to sign up and they still aren't taking names. Hopefully I can update with details once they get the service.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 10:01 PM

Can you buy the PVR as a pose to renting it?
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Can you buy the PVR as a pose to renting it?
I'm going to guess that you can't buy it. And at $4 a month, that isn't a problem for me. Considering the lifetime of the box is probably 3-4 years, it would have to be less than $200 to make it better to buy.

Last time I checked out Bell, they wanted $20/month for their HD-PVR or $600 to buy it (minus $300 programming credit). It might make sense to buy that since the monthly fee is so high. You would be ahead after 15 months if you can use all the credits.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 01:31 AM

what about the people who paid for their HD STB's? i didnt pay full price, but i still paid 149 for it, do i keep it or do i get to trade it in? as far as i remember, i didnt sign anything that says i have to return it....

other people did pay the full 349.00 for theirs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in