Does anyone know when MTS will announce more? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 02:51 AM

Will MTS be adding TSN2 or CBS College Sports in place of Xtreme Sports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-20, 11:27 AM

I spoke with a MTS rep. on the weekend. He said MTS's new HD-PVR will become available sometime between Dec/08 and March/09. He said the HD offerings will be better than Shaw's and possibly better than Bell Satellite.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 11:42 AM

How does MTS expect to jump from the 7 chans in HD they have to over 30 or so that Bell has offered for years? I`ll love to see how much they want to charge for there HD-PVR since you need to pay over 400$ with install for a simple decoder...

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-25, 06:21 PM

They are in the midst of some kind of network upgrade so a quantum leap in the number of HD channels isn't out of the question. In fact, if they're serious about staying competitive in this business, it's essential.
The same applies for an HD-PVR. If they don't get one out soon, they're going to start losing some of that hard-won market share to Shaw and Bell.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 12:29 AM

I was in an MTS Connect store tonight and a sales rep told me they'll be upgrading to 30 HD channels and a PVR that will "blow away anything Shaw or Bell have".
I said "It better".
Anyway, he says it'll happen beteen December and March 15.

ALSO, this mrning there was a message on the weather channel that they had shut down for an hour at 4 am to work on upgrades.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 01:14 AM

Well HBO is here on chs 209 and 210. also TFO is now basic on 28 and Game TV has moved to 33.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 04:43 PM

MTS is now taking pre-bookings for Portage La Prairie with a launch date for December. Not many details available about the service except that a PVR will be available...the predicted launch date for Winnipeg is Spring 09.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 11:25 PM

I thought i read somewhere that MTS was implementing a style of PVR without any client side storage. When you set a show to record, it would basically flag it on the server side, and then when you pick it out of your recorded shows, instead of playing off of a disk in the PVR, it simply streams the show from the server again. I also read something about being able to insert targeted advertising into these "recorded" shows based on the time of day they are being viewed. Am i completely loosing my mind here or has somebody else heard of this too...
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-15, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstock View Post
I thought i read somewhere that MTS was implementing a style of PVR without any client side storage. When you set a show to record, it would basically flag it on the server side, and then when you pick it out of your recorded shows, instead of playing off of a disk in the PVR, it simply streams the show from the server again. I also read something about being able to insert targeted advertising into these "recorded" shows based on the time of day they are being viewed. Am i completely loosing my mind here or has somebody else heard of this too...
I've never heard of anything like that anywhere, but it actually seems in keeping with MTS's overall approach to TV services, like their VOD or storing photos in their server (though I don't know why anyone would ever use the photo storage service).
If that's true, I'd hope it wouldn't be as laggy as their current interactive services.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-16, 06:07 PM

After looking around online a little it seems that network-based PVRs are fairly well-established, though just being rolled out.
So wstock's earlier comment seems very credible.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-16, 11:14 PM

Lorne that article is more than three years old.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-16, 11:37 PM

Then it's about frikkin' time!!! lol
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-17, 02:39 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...-F6EAAA43C4F3}

I'm currently subscribing to MTS TV. I've been looking around recently as we have a shiny new HDTV and I ran across this article last week. It sounds like they have made a commitment to purchase some new encoding hardware which will allow them to supply more HD channels. I couldn't find any information on what the new set top box requirements will be but I am impatiently waiting for them to come out!
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-17, 03:08 PM
Member #1

umbrau44, that's really not any big news. Aliant did it sometime ago.

The surprising thing is that MTS has waited so long to do it.

post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 2008-11-17, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the link, umbrau44. It's interesting and relevant news for this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in