Any news yet of a MTS PVR (SD or HD) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 06:53 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Do some Google searches for AT&T U-Verse. That's a real-life example of Alcatel / Microsoft IPTV product. You may need a new household gateway and Motorola box (one per TV) but the benefits are impressive. It sounds like MTS is able to run the new and old system on the same "pipe" simultaneously meaning you can have the new version and your next door neighbour use the existing version. That's a neat trick. It's worth the wait to move to true IPTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon1111 View Post
what do they mean next generation high speed internet service. do they mean fiber to the home? thanks
The press release says they are getting FTTN equipment which is Fiber-To-The-Node, so so fiber to the home.

An article in today's Free Press talks about possibly giving faster Internet when the TV is off, so maybe that is what they mean by next generation.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4706720c.html
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 10:33 AM

I'm in River Park South.

It's a 2 year old home and I went with Shaw 100 percent day 1.

I have no MTS facilities inside my home at all. There is a copper termination box on the outside of my house.

There is a fibre cable looped up arund my High Effiency furnace exhaust outside as well - not terminated as of yet.

Would be interested to see this new service. Mostly hope that he competition drives the triple play prices down.

Samsung HL-S5087W | Yamaha HTR6190B | Motorola 6412 PIII | Sony PS3 | Definitive Technology BP's/C1 and Sub|

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctb1 View Post
The press release says they are getting FTTN equipment which is Fiber-To-The-Node, so so fiber to the home.

An article in today's Free Press talks about possibly giving faster Internet when the TV is off, so maybe that is what they mean by next generation.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4706720c.html
I think you are confusing FTTN (fiber to the node) with FTTH (fiber to the home) or FTTP (fiber to the premise)

FFTN means fiberoptic cables run to a cabinet serving a neighborhood. From the cabinet, the wiring to the customer's premises is usually done via copper wiring.

I have not heard of any plans from MTS to utilize FTTH as of now. I have a brand-new house with fiberoptic run to the demarc, and I am hoping that as part of this upgrade MTS will start offering FFTH services soon.

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Smile

This was a VERY interesting article in the Winnipeg Free Press today. Perhaps the most intriguing part is the fact that the roll-out will begin in RURAL Manitoba for testing this year. Exiting times and MTS could lead the way in IPTV in Canada. I have seen that AT&T site and it looks pretty neat!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 10:58 PM

Whoops, I meant to type "so no fiber to the home".
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Any idea what model of PVR they might use?
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 09:53 PM
Rookie

While no one knows for sure (and I do not claim to be in-the- know on this) but my educated guess would be the Motorola VIP1208. It is on their site, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the same one Sasktel uses.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 03:54 PM

MTStv throws me a bone

I wrote to MTS this week asking about when they'll be upgrading their HD equipment, and I got the following response today:
Dear Lorne,
Thank you for your e-mail.
MTS recently announced a new network enhancement initiative that will allow MTS to significantly expand the amount of HD channels in Winnipeg. These new channels will consist of a variety of sports, movies, and major Canadian and US networks.
MTS will provide the ability to have an HD PVR. Customers that are looking for a PVR solution today can purchase a variety of third party DVRsthat are available at most electronic stores (ex. TiVo which is compatible with MTStv).
Hold off from switching your TV service. MTS is coming out with a great new service that has capabilities beyond what is being offered today.

Thank you
Shannon
MTS Allstream Inc.

It's nice to get some response though this feels a bit like a canned response. Has anyone else gotten one like it?

I am encouraged, though, and will hang on a while longer before checking out other options. On the downside, the mention of getting a Tivo as an option is less encouraging. I don't think they'd suggest that if they were rolling out new equipment next month.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-08-18, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

The following was announced on MTS's site:

MTS Allstream Receives CRTC Approval to Offer TV Service in Portage la Prairie

Commission Amends Existing Broadcasting License for Winnipeg

BRANDON, MB, August 18, 2008 – MTS Allstream Inc. (“MTS Allstream”) announced today that the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (“CRTC”) has amended the company’s existing broadcast distribution undertaking (“BDU”) license to include the community of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. This license change will provide regulatory clearance for MTS Allstream to offer MTS TV service in Portage la Prairie.

“We are very pleased with the CRTC’s decision, and we look forward to offering new services to the residents of Portage la Prairie,” said Kelvin Shepherd, President Consumer Markets, MTS Allstream. “MTS TV has been a tremendous success in Winnipeg, and we are excited to have the opportunity to bring a newer, more advanced version of this innovative product to a new location in Manitoba. We look forward to sharing more details with our customers as our development work progresses over the next several months.”

Earlier this year, MTS Allstream announced that it had entered into agreements with Microsoft and Alcatel-Lucent Canada Inc. to develop an evolved version of its MTS TV service, with the goal of launching a trial in 2008.

MTS Allstream also confirmed its intention to apply shortly to the CRTC to obtain a BDU license for the community of Brandon, Manitoba.

I wonder if there will be any announcements regarding their new MTS service that they are supposedly testing? Would any insiders like to comment?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Looks like no PVR in Winnipeg until 2009.

By: Martin Cash (Free Press)

Updated: August 19 at 07:25 AM CDT

Print Article E-mail Article ShareThisMTS is going to start offering its television broadcast service in Portage la Prairie and will use that community to test a more advanced package of offerings it intends to roll out to Winnipeg subscribers some time next year.

The Winnipeg telco will first test the service with selected customers in Portage la Prairie and start marketing it more broadly there by the end of the year.

Kelvin Shepherd, president of MTS Allstream's consumer markets division, said the company will seek to further extend it coverage into Brandon sometime in the future as well.

Earlier this year, MTS Allstream said it had entered into agreements with Microsoft and Alcatel-Lucent Canada Inc. to develop an evolved version of its MTS TV.

Shepherd said the new technology will allow MTS TV to offer significantly more high definition channels as well as providing access to integrated personal video recorder (PVR) and a new interactive program guide.

Those services are expected to be ready for the Winnipeg market sometime in 2009.

Shepherd acknowledged other digital television service providers currently have a larger selection of HD channels (MTS now has nine) and allow for PVR integration.

"Our television service is still growing in Winnipeg where we have about 80,000 customers already, which we believe is about one-third of the market," Shepherd said. "This is an investment in new service technology in a competitive market."

The new technology MTS is going to have access to will also provide some features no one else is using yet in the Canadian market. One might be the eventual possibility for subscribers to use their Microsoft X-Box game cube as a digital television set-top box.

In addition, he said, the technology MTS is working with could eventually create a more robust home network.

Whereas currently conventional PVRs may allow the customer to watch one channel while recording another, the new MTS technology could allow customers to either watch or record a total of three channels simultaneously and allow all the televisions in the house to access the data from one PVR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in