MTS TV + Windows Media Center? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-10-26, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

MTS TV + Windows Media Center?

Hey guys,

Just switched to MTS digital cable today and got the RG2400 settop box. I'm used to using my Media Center PC as a PVR, but I can't for the life of me get Media Center to change the channel on this settop box using my IR Emitter. (making my PVR useless)

Please tell me someone around here is using the same setup and can walk me through it, no codes seem to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-10-26, 10:26 PM

I don't have Media Center but I have read that it works with these boxes. Try using the code for "Next Level". That was the manufacturer before Motorola bought them out. If you're using the IR blaster that came with the MS remote it should work.

Also make sure the RG2400 is set up for IR. Only the main TV (channel 4) can be controlled by IR since the other remotes are RF.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-10-26, 10:31 PM

I thought there was maybe a specific edition to Windows Media Center for IPTV.

Anything to that...?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-10-28, 06:54 PM

See here: http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/..._Overview.mspx

That is a specific edition of Windows Media Center for IPTV, it will let you record IPTV signals... not sure about dual tuner though...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-10-30, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
I thought there was maybe a specific edition to Windows Media Center for IPTV.

Anything to that...?
MTS is digital TV using VDSL as the access transport. Bell Canada uses the same system for their present MDU subs. It is NOT IPTV as it uses a different network architecture.

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...508926-001.pdf

That being said there should still be an IR code that will operate the settop box.

John

BEV 6131, 9242
DishPro LNB/Multiswitch
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-11-02, 12:44 AM

MTS TV works with Windows Media Center

I have MTS TV working with my Windows Media Centre PVR.

The only reason that I can think of that it might not be working for you - perhaps the channel 4 remote is set to work off radio frequency (RF) instead of infrared (IR).

The Media Center can only work off channel 4 and an infrared (IR) remote.

The MTS installer sets the channel 4 remote to IR or RF, depending on the layout of your room. IR requires a line of sight from the remote to the Motorola box, and the installer sometimes sets the remote to RF so that it works whether or not you point the remote at the Motorola box (the other two remotes have to be set to RF).

There are instructions in the Motorola manual to change this channel 4 remote setting to IR (a 2 minute change), or you can just call MTS and they can do it for you over the phone.

If it still doesn't work, repost, because it can work! I have my computer in a different room, and use a Jenson/Recoton IR extender (Bestbuy $50) so that my computer can still control the Motorola box in a different room.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2006-11-02, 12:47 AM

one more thing

Once you get the remote working -

one other thing - I had to temporarily disable my Zonealarm firewall when setting up MTS TV in the Windows Media Centre setup screens. Otherwise, it kept blocking Windows Media Centre from finding the right set of TV listings.

I only had to disable it once.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 05:03 PM

Unhappy Windows Vista Media Center and MTS TV

I am an MTS TV subscriber. (Manitoba)
Have previously been unable to get XP Media Center to control my STB.
Now I am unable to get Vista to control my STB.

It almost works. Some of the codes are transmitted. But I get channell 2 instead of 223 or similar. Have tried slow codes. Have tried moving the IR blaster pad.

Not sure of the model of STB I have, but think it is the older/slower one. My remote is a SRC-200.
The codes are "learnt" OK by Vista.

Thought maybe it was because of confusion between IR and RF modes on the box, but MTS says that box will accept either all the time (and there is no discreet mode one way or the other). Pretty sure I had the remote programmed for IR when I did the training.

It seems like maybe the learned code is not completely sent maybe......

Is there a way to transfer a working IR blaster config from someone who has it working? (a config file?)

Anyone have more tips on what to try?

Maybe Ill just have to give up and get the MTS one touch recording feature to control Vista instead. Ugh.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-07-28, 11:26 AM

WMC Guy...did you end up using the WMC remote or the MTS remote?

Thx.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-07-29, 12:27 PM

MTS TV and Vista media center

I just ended up giving up on channels with two consecutive numbers within (i.e. 22 or 331) and record only on other channels.

I am using the WMC remote exclusively (except for the occassional TSN, channell 22 show).
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-08-04, 03:23 PM

same issue

I have the exact same problem with channel 22 (tsn-pretty annoying since i watch all the time), have you found any solutions yet?
my set top box is Motorola RG2400V, with the SRC-300 remote, and i'm using windows media centre on vista

oh yeah if anyone else is having trouble with switching from RF to IR just follow the instructions on their site (LED, Rec, A, 0) and reprogram remote to 0 (IR) as opposed to 1(also for set-top box but RF)

Last edited by tdiddy; 2007-08-04 at 03:47 PM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 09:49 AM

I'm going through the same setup issues. All channels with consecutive numbers don't switch. I found a knowledge base article on how to change the delay timings on the ir blaster. I'm about to try it out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896480/en-us
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 04:03 PM

I found the solution this morning with the Microsoft remote and ir blaster working with media center.

There is a registry setting that has to be changed to work with the ir blaster timing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\{some guid}\{some other guid}\UserSettings

Look for a key name called STBCode that kind of looks like this:

<stb> <codeseturl>\user\C_learn12</codeseturl> <keyinterval>500</keyinterval> <keyduration>400</keyduration> <channelpause>400</channelpause> <useenter>True</useenter> <numdigits>3</numdigits> <target>\\?\root#system#0001#{7951772d-cd50-49b7-b103-2baac494fc57}\port1\*</target> </stb>

Modify the keyinterval, keyduration, and channelpause to values I have above. Reboot the box and i was able to change to channels like 112 and 155 without problem.

The important thing is don't just copy my key, you have to change the values in your registry, as the guids will not match.

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896480/en-us

and here:
http://mediacenter.mattgoyer.com/2004/12/14.html

and here:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/post/87227.aspx
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 10:32 AM

Smile MTS TV Users rejoice

Yay for tvropical!
I cant wait to try this. Kids wanted Little House on the Prairie recorded yesterday and I had to explain that I could not do it because it was on channell 11.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Shawn.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 04:25 PM
Rookie

I'm still looking for the codes to get the IR to work with the STB. Has anyone finally figured this out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in