MTS TV + Windows Media Center? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-10-03, 11:30 AM

Have you read post 2?

Post 6, 11 and 13 may also be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-10-13, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Dr. Dave. I have tried all of these but none really address the IR blaster issue. I have WMC with a Hauppauge HVR1600 Video Capture card. The capture card comes with an IR Blaster. My cable provider is MTSTV. The Motorola gateway MTS provided is the RG2400V. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information on how to get the IR Blaster to control the STB. Perhaps the Hauppauge is not the way to go. Any ideas would be great. I would love to be able to get this set up. So far the only suggestion I got from a guy who works at MTS in the TV group was to use Tivo. I don't want to do that since I already have the Media Centre.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 02:35 PM
Rookie

JCWME,

My understanding is that Window Media center is a 'closed system' and will only work with Microsoft IR hardware. If you want to use the IR blaster that came with the card, you might want to try Beyond TV software by Snapstream. I know that software supports different types of IR hardware.

Bob

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-11-17, 01:24 PM
Rookie

WMC ir blaster

Maybe one of you would know if the Windows MEdia center IR blaster would work on a XP pro sp2 machine? Just the ir blaster is what I'm interested in
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-11-22, 05:07 PM
Rookie

WMC is software and does not actually come with an IR blaster. IR Blasters usually come with the Video capture card such as the Hauppauge 1600. Check your Video Capute Card specs to see if it is compatible with XP SP2.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2007-11-23, 10:16 AM

I bought the haupaugge 1600 card but the included remote and blaster don't work. I went and bought the microsoft remote and with the registry changes posted above, it all works quite well.

Just one caution, if you have an ati video card you still may have problems. My video driver crashes at least once a night. Nothing i've done resolves the problem.

I'm sure the problem is with vista and the ati drivers, and i'd love to upgrade back to xp from vista except i really like vista's media center (the only thing i like about vista).
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 07:00 PM
Rookie

MTS tv and Media Center pc problems changing channel

Hi Everyone and thank in advance for your help on this one.
I have media center pc that I am using mainly for the pvr feature. I just got MTS Cable and dsl internet. I got Media center to change the channel on the box once but it was really slow so I tried to speed up the IR and now I can’t get it to work again. I have gone through the wizard a hundred times and I am using the MCE remote. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be great.

I have the Motorola RG2200 STB and XP Media center 2005.

Thanks
Leigh
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2008-02-19, 09:05 PM

Did you follow all the tips in this thread?
1. Make sure your RG2200 is set up for IR not RF.
2. WMC must be set for Next Level.
3. Registry edit.

Also, is the IR blaster positioned right over the sensor on the RG2200?

Were you using WMC with a different STB before?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 10:39 PM
Rookie

I too have an issue with changing channels, however the most concerning is that I cannot get channels 4, 5 and 7. When I try to tune in one of these channels, nothing happens - no signal is sent to the STB at all. I also have trouble with the double numbers but haven't played with the registry yet as I'm trying to get 4,5,7 to work first before I worry about double numbers. Has anyone else had this problem with these channels (or similar)?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 10:47 PM
Rookie

Hey Dr. Dave,

What do you mean when you say "WMC must be set for Next Level"?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 11:21 PM

Next Level Communications is the name of the company that made the set top boxes that MTS uses. Next Level was bought by Motorola and the RG2400 is branded Motorola but still uses the Next Level codes.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 08:25 PM

BIG thanks again to TVROPICAL.
WINDOWS 7! WINDOWS 7!
I would like to report that his registry fix (for the timing of the IR codes) not only works for Vista (as reported in Sept 2007) but they also work for Windows 7 Beta!!!
I did find that the machine did need to be rebooted after the registry change though, not just restarting media center. I speculate this is due to the media center desktop widget which likely keeps the registry keys in use.

One other note: Performance of Win 7 media center may be slightly slower than Vista Media Center. But maybe its just busy indexing content as it is freshly installed........ if it gets better, ill post a note. It could also be the ancient hardware I am running it on but I still expected Win7 to be faster than Vista. Athlon XP 2600 1Ghz with 1 GB RAM. Yes, really!

And on another note:
I cant wait for MTS's new TV platform (currently in testing in VERY small areas of Winnipeg). I am sure the new Set top boxes (STBs) will cause us some small issues, but as the platform is Microsoft TV based, we Media Center users may get some enhanced functionality too! (maybe media Center will upnp discover the STB and interact directly with tuning and stored content???) I would love to hear reports from anyone participated in the geographically limited trial (or maybe the new platform is already deployed in Portage La Prairie??).
Shawn.

Last edited by slukaschuk; 2009-01-14 at 08:29 PM. Reason: made a mistake in a date
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 11:36 PM

need more info...is this mediaroom
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-04-20, 03:51 PM

I recently bought a refurb HVR 1600 and it did not include the remote and IR blaster... I'm currently using it on my Vista Media Center with Shaw (analogue) TV... Thinking of switching to MTS, but how do I change channels with it? I recalled that when they install MTS TV they had this cable to send IR signals to VCRs, can I use this cable with the HVR1600 (assuming IR blasters are all the same)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in