It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 06:48 PM

Couldn`t have said it any better!!!!!!! Yup. Yup and more Yup`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 07:08 PM

I'm satisfied with the SD picture quality coming from MTS presently. I don't see the need to switch to HD quite yet, seeing as the programming is limited (and Shaw is compressing their HD like mad). When the HD content is improved, I will reassess at that point and go from there.
post #78 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
I'm satisfied with the SD picture quality coming from MTS presently. I don't see the need to switch to HD quite yet, seeing as the programming is limited (and Shaw is compressing their HD like mad). When the HD content is improved, I will reassess at that point and go from there.
What ever happened with you considering SC - Satellite have more bandwith and don't need to compress at nearly the same amount as IPTV / Cable Companies do. Are you open to a discussion about HD from SC or BEV - (new thread of course - something like: Winnipeg HD Discussion) Are you interested in looking into and discussing satellite for HD? Or is it not a matter of HD channels and compression its a matter of amount of HD content available today? BEV has many 24 hour HD channels (eg. Discovery Theatre HD - Oasis - other Oasis type channels). Open to any of this?

post #79 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
What ever happened with you considering SC - Satellite have more bandwith and don't need to compress at nearly the same amount as IPTV / Cable Companies do. Are you open to a discussion about HD from SC or BEV - (new thread of course - something like: Winnipeg HD Discussion) Are you interested in looking into and discussing satellite for HD? Or is it not a matter of HD channels and compression its a matter of amount of HD content available today? BEV has many 24 hour HD channels (eg. Discovery Theatre HD - Oasis - other Oasis type channels). Open to any of this?
I find BEV too expensive for a base package + equipment, and satellite in general has some issues I'm not sure I want to deal with (only one TV per receiver, weather effects, snow on dish, having a dish on my building, bad installation stories, raise in price coming soon for HD, buggy receiver software, etc etc etc). Like I said - MTS SD has been giving me very good PQ for the last two weeks, and that has really made me think I can stand with SD for a bit longer.

Much of my decision has to do with internet access too - Shaw Internet sounds like exactly the type of service I don't want. Unreliable, slow at peak times, capped... my main mode of entertainment and news comes from the internet, so I'd give HD up before I'd give up my good connection.

Last edited by Derfel; 2006-09-20 at 07:37 PM.
post #80 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 11:01 PM

Inconsistent thought process! In my oppinion only

[
Much of my decision has to do with internet access too - Shaw Internet sounds like exactly the type of service I don't want. Unreliable, slow at peak times, capped... my main mode of entertainment and news comes from the internet, so I'd give HD up before I'd give up my good connection.[/QUOTE]

Derfel you do not have to give up internet, just move the T.V., man HD is so wonderfull on a Plasma, I suggest that you do not know what you are missing when you have instant access to the best T.V. while watching at home. I see it all the time, I find it very hard to watch SD, when HD has it later, I will wait to get the HD
It is sad that you have put so many linkages to get one service over another, when they are not necessary. Even when you do make the decision, BEV and StarChoice will always have more HD choice than MTS and Shaw, Iam sure of that. Watching Bones on HD right now simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by canada45; 2006-09-20 at 11:06 PM.
post #81 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada45 View Post
It is sad that you have put so many linkages to get one service over another, when they are not necessary. Even when you do make the decision, BEV and StarChoice will always have more HD choice than MTS and Shaw, Iam sure of that. Watching Bones on HD right now simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know HD looks wonderful, but for the amount of TV I watch right now, it isn't worth giving up what I have. I watched some SD hockey tonight, and I can handle what MTS is giving me in terms of PQ, so I'm staying put. If they don't improve their package soon, maybe I'll think about it again in a few weeks or months.
post #82 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I know HD looks wonderful, but for the amount of TV I watch right now, it isn't worth giving up what I have. I watched some SD hockey tonight, and I can handle what MTS is giving me in terms of PQ, so I'm staying put. If they don't improve their package soon, maybe I'll think about it again in a few weeks or months.
Okay Derfel, I do not understand, but you have to make the choice. Answer me this why did you buy a HD Plasma at 37 or 42 or 50 inches then? I do not understand the logic of a large HD TV without HD?
post #83 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada45 View Post
Okay Derfel, I do not understand, but you have to make the choice. Answer me this why did you buy a HD Plasma at 37 or 42 or 50 inches then? I do not understand the logic of a large HD TV without HD?
I have a 42" Plasma (Samsung), and primarily I bought it to wallmount it, and also to watch DVDs (which look great on it). Like I said, I don't entirely mind the PQ of MTSTV at SD right now, so until that or something else changes, I'm good. Shaw just isn't enticing enough to get me to switch over.

I heard today that Shaw might be raising prices on their internet soon anyways.
post #84 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I heard today that Shaw might be raising prices on their internet soon anyways.
shaw already increased the rates i just phoned and asked about internet and they said they are not allowed to raise it twice a year and they said no they would not do that. The person you talked to probably ment in september it got raised 3 dollars.
post #85 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 05:09 PM

Anyone guessing as to what HD channels and feeds MTS is going to use in the near future, is just that a guess. Yes I agree that the Seattle feed for HD may not be the best choice due to the time zone, but as stated this is their launch channels. MTS has superior SD PQ and 95% of all programming is this format. As more HD programming and feeds come on line, you will certainly see MTS remaining very competitive.

As has been mentioned on numerous posts, MTS also has superior high speed internet that is not affected by their neighbour's usage. Great to see the majority of revenue and community support generated in Manitoba remain here. This cannot be found with the competition.Certain providers can pick and choose ther customers, while MTS continues to provide service to all Manitobans. If their buisness is erroded, what do you ultimatly think is going to happen to the rates of the less fortunate and remote communities?
post #86 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81omega View Post
Anyone guessing as to what HD channels and feeds MTS is going to use in the near future, is just that a guess. Yes I agree that the Seattle feed for HD may not be the best choice due to the time zone, but as stated this is their launch channels. MTS has superior SD PQ and 95% of all programming is this format. As more HD programming and feeds come on line, you will certainly see MTS remaining very competitive.
Problem is - this HD package is not AT ALL competitive. Zero competition. None. Not with price, not with choices, not with equipment. It was a bad package to start with, because many people who want HD (including perhaps me soon) will jump ship from MTS and not look back.
post #87 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 11:14 PM

Exactly, MTS is charging you for there HD US Networks / CBC HD at $4.99 / month and you still need the specific specialty channel to get Sportsnet HD with MTS. $540 for a HD receiver is ridiculous (even with Shaw). They have West HD channels and no IPTV HD PVR so you have to stay up late to watch Prime time HD!! And they will not be switching over there US Nets to East anytime soon. For HD users MTS is a joke, and will continue to be until they get a decent product out there. It doesn't matter if your the first IPTV provider to bring HD if you don't have a good plan your setting yourself up for failure.

BTW, Shaw and SC charge nothing for Basic HD Networks

MTS TV: Our HD is insuperior to the competitors.
post #88 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
MTS TV: Our HD is insuperior to the competitors.
... and it's such a shame that it is. With the right HD package and rollout (did you see any ads for HD service from MTS?) this could have rocked Shaw's world. As it is, Shaw has done little to respond to this. The sales people I talked to at Shaw didn't feel they needed to do anything different, because people were apparently switching over to Shaw BECAUSE of the MTS HD offering...
post #89 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-22, 06:22 PM

Quote:
... and it's such a shame that it is. With the right HD package and rollout (did you see any ads for HD service from MTS?) this could have rocked Shaw's world. As it is, Shaw has done little to respond to this. The sales people I talked to at Shaw didn't feel they needed to do anything different, because people were apparently switching over to Shaw BECAUSE of the MTS HD offering...
Most people stuck it out with MTS and waited for there HD - when people found out this was there product they got turned off and went over to Shaw / Satellite. How hard is it to get Boston or Detroit HD??
post #90 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 09:22 AM

PPV Channels Activated

I noticed yesterday that channels 99 and 100 have been activated as PPV1 and PPV2. They are currently showing VOD previews on both channels, but I have also intermittently seen a PPV order screen displayed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in