It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 06:50 PM

anyone actually go in for Mts Tv Hd yet?

Did anyone actually go in for this deal yet? Any reviews?

I'm torn - I want to stay with MTS, and I want to have HD - but to only have Seattle feeds? And to commit to what seems to be already outdated equipment? Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 10:47 AM

I sent an email to MTS asking them how they can expect anyone to pay for HD that is 3 hours later than most of us care to watch.

The response that I got is that these are just the launch channels and that they will be releasing some more over the next few months.

Take that with a huge grain of salt though, considering this is coming from a company who is arriving last to the HD game and offering the worst product.
post #63 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Take that with a huge grain of salt though, considering this is coming from a company who is arriving last to the HD game and offering the worst product.
Talked to a rep at Grant Park yesterday - he said TSN *might* be around by November, but for any other channel packages, we have to wait until the Grand Forks or Minneapolis feeds to start broadcasting HD, which by the sounds of it is no sooner than May 2007. Maybe.

No word on Discovery, A & E, etc. No good.

The STB is even worse - they don't forsee any ability for you to have SD on your HD box in this release, which means you'd have to buy a new box anyways.

None of this is swaying me to MTS. But I just can't give up the rest of my services.

post #64 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 02:58 PM

Oh my G-d, Derfel are you serious????? MTS is such a peice of crap, why would you wait, go and get some HD, to have a Plasma and get jerked arround by MTS is totally unbeleivable to me. Keep the rest with MTS and go to Shaw, Bell and yes StarChoice for your HD. Make a decision man!!!!!!! What do you do for a living? Were you talking to Shawn at GP? If so he is.........xodkldjdhfhflsd.

Did I understand right that the HD box does not do SD and you need 2 boxes? More reasons to dump MTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #65 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
The STB is even worse - they don't forsee any ability for you to have SD on your HD box in this release, which means you'd have to buy a new box anyways.
From the MTS web site:
Quote:
Can I watch regular standard definition shows through my RG3000 Set Top Box?

Yes, both High Definition channels and Standard Definition channels can be viewed through the RG3000 High Definition Set Top Box. Changing channels between the two will be the same as changing between two Standard Definition channels.
I don't see why MTS can't sign a deal to carry Detroit HD in addition to Seattle and Minneapolis SD. Unless it requires special CRTC approval which may take as long as getting Minneapolis HD.
post #66 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 03:42 PM

So Dr.Dave, do you haveMTS HD? If so what do you think? How are you set up? Does the box do DVI/HDMI?
post #67 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada45 View Post
So Dr.Dave, do you haveMTS HD? If so what do you think? How are you set up? Does the box do DVI/HDMI?
Apparently the sales guy at MTS Grant Park was incorrect - the box does both SD and HD, but you have to keep the old box to have VOD and the weather menu, etc.

The box does NOT do DVI or HDMI, only component.
post #68 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 09:45 PM

I talked to MTS today and you need 2 boxes as the "new one" lol,lol does not do the other streams for the house(and what you also mentioned). What a joke, Derfel, if you do not change, or even consider MTS any longer.......good luck...lol
post #69 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I talked to MTS today and you need 2 boxes as the "new one" lol,lol does not do the other streams for the house(and what you also mentioned). What a joke, Derfel, if you do not change, or even consider MTS any longer.......good luck...lol

I had a long talk with some guys at work today - seems like the most HD I'd be getting with Starchoice or Shaw is about 3 or 4 hours a night, if that. Only 30 NHL games or so are slated to be broadcast in HD. So I've decided not to switch at all to HD anywhere. I'll stick with MTS (especially now that their high speed is being upped to 7MBit) and if they improve their HD service, I'll go with them.
post #70 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-18, 11:53 PM

It will cost you a price when and if ever you change. Star Choice and Bell it will be less than Shaw and MTS. Again to have a plasma and not have HD is a crime, even for the 3 or 4 hours a nite. It is worth it!!!!!!!
post #71 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-19, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It will cost you a price when and if ever you change. Star Choice and Bell it will be less than Shaw and MTS. Again to have a plasma and not have HD is a crime, even for the 3 or 4 hours a nite. It is worth it!!!!!!!

I have my plasma and my upconverting DVD player, that's a start. Plus, the PQ on MTS TV has really improved in the last week, so I'm actually quite happy staying until either they improve their HD package, or there is more HD on TV to watch. Then it will be worth the money to change.
post #72 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-19, 03:46 PM

Sounds like you have talked yourself out of HD.

HD Hockey there will be 35 games on TSN and around 20 on CBC.

Not sure what you mean by 3 or 4 hours an evening of HD. There is alot more than that to choose from with all the networks available. On average 2.5 of the 3 primetime hours are HD. So with the the 4 big networks you'll get around 9.0(since Fox only has 2 hrs usually). Then throw in PBS (not all HD but widescreen), Discovery HD and hockey/football/baseball there is alot of content available. Sign up for the movie channels and you'll have MC-HD.....24 hrs a day.

If you mean that is all you'll watch an evening....that is the entire evening.

If you are happy with what you have now, that's great, and all that matters....but there is lots of HD content out there.
post #73 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-19, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger2000 View Post
If you are happy with what you have now, that's great, and all that matters....but there is lots of HD content out there.
I guess when there is more, then I will commit. Until then, I'll do with what I have.
post #74 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 05:22 PM

Cool Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
I guess when there is more, then I will commit. Until then, I'll do with what I have.
You talked yourself out of HD waiting for the 2 bit company to catch up in the next 12 to 24 months. Others will surpass it by leaps and bounds, and you will still have to buy in.
post #75 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-20, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You talked yourself out of HD waiting for the 2 bit company to catch up in the next 12 to 24 months. Others will surpass it by leaps and bounds, and you will still have to buy in.
Exactly, Defel it has been made clear by countless posts MTS HD will no be switching there current feeds (seattle) to East feeds (Detroit/Boston) for at least 18 months. The best you can hope for is that they add some for Canadian networks in the east. You will probably not be satisfied enough to go HD with MTS for years. With a beautiful new plasma are you sure you want to deprive yourself of the superior HD PQ (I have HD - The Nets, Movie Central, and SportsNet and I hate the PQ of regular analog and some digitals now) If you are able to give up HD for 1 1/2 years + thats your decision. MTS is not going to pick up the pace in that department in a long time. Best option for yourself if you do decide to make the leap to HD is SC - it has cheap HD hardware and East and West Canadian and American feeds - TSN - Sportsnet - Movie Cetral* and it is only a short time until they add Showcase, National Geo. and A&E to their HD line up as their sister company Shaw has it. Rate now SC HD is free the other 3 channels will probably be must subscribe to specific them group basis.

So all in all MTS HD has dug them self into a deap whole:

1) expensive receivers - same price as Shaw - but satellite receivers are still cheaper

2) Seattle doesn't work for Manitobans. Your primetime is 9-12! - not worth it

MTS was in a rush to introduce HD when they should of just waited until they secured East US HD feed contracts before coming to the market in HD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in