It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 03:38 PM

Dr. Dave see post #7. (Bell since CANCOM doesn't have KOMO-HD)

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 03:48 PM

MTS gets their feeds from North Dakota, Rochester NY, and Minneapolis?
post #48 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
I was also puzzled by MTS' choice for the U.S. HD feeds. A few days ago I stopped by the MTS kiosk in Polo Park to see if they HD hooked up (they didn't). The guy there said that they had agreements in place to carry the SD feeds from Seattle and it was easy to add HD. He said that since they already carrry TSN and Discovery in SD, they are probably pretty easy to negotiate the HD channels.

He didn't have any info on when they might add U.S. Eastern HD feeds, but did say the reason they weren't carrying them now is because the channels they carry now like Rochester don't have HD. I guess it's a matter of working out the agreements to carry other stations. I think there are CRTC rules that prevent them from adding another U.S. affiliate until the contract from the current one expires.

My guess is that they will add CTV, TSN and Discovery all at the same time since they are all owned by CTV.

We get our SD feeds from Seattle? If we get both of our feeds from Seattle why are they 3 hours different (between SD and HD)?

post #49 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
We get our SD feeds from Seattle? If we get both of our feeds from Seattle why are they 3 hours different (between SD and HD)?
I'm guessing MTS uses the Seattle feeds for their timeshift West package.

I talked to a rep today, she actually apologized for the choice of channels, but could offer no information about any changes in the near future. She sees this being the way it is for months, maybe even until next summer or beyond.
post #50 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 09:25 PM

I have been a strong MTS supporter since the day they got into the TV business. I have been waiting patiently for the HD product to be announced. Two days ago I switched to Star Choice. All of my reasons have been posted by others already. HD from the left coast is a terrible choice for most Manitobans. The STB is over priced.(I just installed 3 HD *Choice units for the price of the one MTS box. I had a long talk with an MTS CSR, her supervisor and then a manager, when I called to cancel my subscription. All tried to keep my business but were in no position to give any details about future HD growth. I left with the impression that any new additions were a long way in the future. Sadly, this as a bad mis-step by MTS.

Last edited by snowbear; 2006-09-01 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors
post #51 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
I had a long talk with an MTS CSR, her supervisor and then a manager, when I called to cancel my subscription. All tried to keep my business but were in no position to give any details about future HD growth. I left with the impression that any new additions were a long way in the future. Sadly, this as a bad mis-step by MTS.
Did they even try to keep you as a customer? One of my co-workers cancelled his MTS TV service because of the HD fiasco but kept his internet/phone with MTS, and they did absolutely nothing to try and keep him around with the TV service.
post #52 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-02, 12:52 PM

Derfel

No they did not make any serious attempt. I have both regular phone service and internet with them and have been with them for over 16 years. No incentives were offered. In fact quite the opposit. The CSR was very forcefull in explaining that I would loose my $10.00 discount like it was some great benefit (or penalty for leaving). They all asked a lot of the usual questions but could not counter any of my reasons for leaving.

On the plus side the tech that came to remove and replace my TV modem was excellent. He even added a new wall plug when he saw that my Star Choice needed a phone conection and the nearest box was located across the room.
post #53 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Deleted some posts.

This thread is about MTS HD. To compare the offerings of MTS HD with others, please see the threads in the General Satellite and Cable Forum

post #54 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-05, 02:35 PM

I am pleased with my HD MTS service. I am sure that the channel line up will be improving. The $4.95/MTH fee is waived on a 2 year contract. Don't forget that HD TV is still in its infancy and will become the standard in a few short years. As for now I get HD programming for only the cost of the RG3000. My Shaw picture was terrible on SD and I would never switch back. All of my family and friends have switched and are very pleased.Are not all TV stations obligated to broadcast in digital within a few years?
I predict that all Telco and TV service provider issues will won with whom ever installs fiber to the home.
post #55 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-05, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81omega View Post
Don't forget that HD TV is still in its infancy and will become the standard in a few short years. As for now I get HD programming for only the cost of the RG3000.
HDTV might be in its infancy, but the MTS HD package is little more than
fetal.

With Starchoice, you can get HDTV for free with the purchase of an HD receiver for half the price of the MTS one, AND it doesn't cost you $99 more to install HDTV! What a crock.
post #56 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-05, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
HDTV might be in its infancy, but the MTS HD package is little more than
fetal.

With Starchoice, you can get HDTV for free with the purchase of an HD receiver for half the price of the MTS one, AND it doesn't cost you $99 more to install HDTV! What a crock.
I thought you supported MTS on everything, I guess you do agree there are some faults.

SC HD: Free
Shaw Basic HD (Nets): Free
Bell: $10 (way more HD channels for your 10 bucks)
MTS: $4.99 (Nets + SportsNet)

MTS is not being competitive with there pricing considering that:

1) the competition, Shaw's HD is free, with the East Nets
2) They need to get the East Nets, If you watch a show from a seattle station that airs at 10 o clock in Seattle your watching that primetime show at midnight, not primetime anymore, honestly MTS dug there grave introducing HD with the Seattle Nets, should have waited until they could get Detroit or Boston HD feeds.

Here's something interesting, everyone says well with the 2 year contract they waive the $4.99 fee, that is only for the length of the contract, after the 24 months its $4.99 again unless they lock you into another 2 year contract.

Cable, no contracts.
post #57 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81omega View Post
I am pleased with my HD MTS service. I am sure that the channel line up will be improving. The $4.95/MTH fee is waived on a 2 year contract. Don't forget that HD TV is still in its infancy and will become the standard in a few short years. As for now I get HD programming for only the cost of the RG3000. My Shaw picture was terrible on SD and I would never switch back. All of my family and friends have switched and are very pleased.Are not all TV stations obligated to broadcast in digital within a few years?

I predict that all Telco and TV service provider issues will won with whom ever installs fiber to the home.
... but MTS TV isn't fibre to the home --- it's fibre to the neighbourhood.

I'm glad to read you are happy with the HD service and kudos for MTS for delivering. I'm curious to know how robust it is for you.

Do you have more than one TV in use at a time? How is the service when you are downloading from the Internet while watching HD?
post #58 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
How is the service when you are downloading from the Internet while watching HD?
I don't have HD, but I know this wouldn't be at all affected by downloading, as they pretty much install a new line just for the HD service. While they charge you yet another fee for it ($99 installation), it guarantees that your HD quality would be unaffected by downloading, as it is a separate line entirely. Is Shaw's service affected by downloading while watching HD (or using the phone)?
post #59 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-07, 12:18 AM

Bottom line anybody that would pay $349 + $99.00 installation and have a receiver that is light years behind everyboy else (no DVI or HDMI connections) must in my opininon have rocks in their head. To wait "just a few short years" for MTS to catch up is nuts. Dump them and get more for less $$ with Star Choice, Bell or yes even Shaw.
post #60 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-07, 01:03 PM

I would have to agree that the MTS offering is overpriced for what you get.

I recently switched to Bell.

They have just added 3 more HD channels... and there is both East and West HD feeds. Almost all of my primetime viewing is in HD now.... except for when I watch Spike or Space channel.

Also, there's PPVs ... especially UFC or Pride which I've bought once already... and there's NFL Sunday Ticket!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in