It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 05:12 PM
Veteran

I have a feeling that MTS will have more HD selection then Shaw within one year. They already have a much better SD channel selection then Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
I have a feeling that MTS will have more HD selection then Shaw within one year. They already have a much better SD channel selection then Shaw.
Do you have some proof to back that up?? Secondly, no, MTS will not surpass Shaw in HD, MTS has the Seattle nets, CBC Toronto, and Sportnet, west networks, that is just giving an edge to Shaw's East HD nets, and MTS doesn't even have some Canadian East HD Channels to make up for having the West HD's (CBC does not count for making up the US programs in west time zone) And just recently Shaw added new HD channels,

MTS HD

CBC Toronto HD
Sportnet HD **
CBS West HD
NBC West HD
ABC West HD
FOX West HD
PBS West HD

SHAW HD

CBC Toronto HD
CTV Toronto HD
CTV Vancouver HD
Movie Central HD **
CBS East HD
NBC East HD
ABC East HD
FOX East HD
PBS East HD
DISCOVERY HD **
Sportsnet HD **
TSN HD **

7 HD Channels available on MTS, 12 HD channels available on Shaw, these are just the ones that are available, not specific packs, etc. Sportsnet, Discovery,TSN, Movie Central need SD subscribtion to get HD signal. MTS has alot of catching up to do to reach Shaw's HD content, and in that time it takes for MTS to get to where Shaw is at, what says, Shaw is not going to add more HD. I will say this, as much as I hate MTS as a whole, the competition is good, it keeps Shaw on there toes, keeps prices competive, and pushes the companies to add more Channels, HD or SD. Competition is good in the TV business (although the CRTC gets rid of competition for the Canadian TV networks, hate CRTC
post #33 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyclaytonmagnet View Post
Umm, Cancom doesn't have KOMO... They have to be getting it from Bell.
Umm, Cancom does have KOMO

http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affil...t/charts_e.asp <<go here, and download the excel file for: "Anik F1R Ku Band Frequency Chart - as of August 17, 2006"

KOMO Seattle is on there.

post #34 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 05:58 PM
Veteran

CANCOM does NOT have KOMO-DT but the DO have KOMO-TV, which is not High Definition

westmanguy,

I have no proof of anything, i'm merly speculating that MTS HD will surpass Shaw one day. Look how long it took for Shaw to get all 12 of those channels, they didn't exactly add them quickly. I have had more then 12 HD channels for about 2 years now through my local cable company (and its an independent cable system as well).

Shaw drags there feet on almost every type of new service. Since MTS TV has launched, they have been offering timeshifting, plus they have many SD channels that Shaw continues to not carry (PunchMuch, TVLand, Raptors TV, Military Channel, MuchMoreRetro etc.)
post #35 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

This is NOT a Shaw - MTS comparision thread.

Feel free to create one in the forum designed for it. The general cable and sat forum.

More comparision posts will be removed.

post #36 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 06:49 PM

I don't see MTS adding many more channels. I suspect we'll see TSN HD and perhaps Discovery HD by the end of the year. What I certainly doubt is that MTS will ever change their feed from Seattle, which is a shame, because it means I'll probably have to switch out of MTS because of it. I just don't like the idea of my primetime hours starting at 10pm...
post #37 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
This is NOT a Shaw - MTS comparision thread.

Feel free to create one in the forum designed for it. The general cable and sat forum.

More comparision posts will be removed.
Took you advice hugh: Unofficial MTS vs. Shaw Thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...563#post414563

This paticular thread was about MTS HD. This new thread i made (link above) is a Non-rant MTS vs. Shaw discussion
post #38 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
This new thread i made (link above) is a Non-rant MTS vs. Shaw discussion
Whoops. Just added a little rant action into the above thread before I read this post.
post #39 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 10:11 AM

Rumour has it MTS might be adding TSN-HD to it's regular HD lineup in mid-October.
post #40 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 11:40 AM

Does anyone know if there is a specific technical reason why MTS is offering HD channels from Seattle and not say Detroit? Don't we already get our Non-HD feeds from Detroit?

I am one of those who uses MTS for everything and have been waiting for HD. When I read the info on MTSHD I was shocked and disappointed to say the least.

I'm not too concerned about shelling out the $400 or so to hook up the service. But what am I getting?

Stay up until 11 or 12 to watch the same shows that are on the regular channels at 7 or 8? Why can't MTSHD have feeds where the HD versions of the shows come on at the same time as the Non-Hd versions? Is that so much to ask? Tell me there is some sort of technical reason for this otherwise I will have to believe that there is no-one running MTS, and all of the management positions have been filled by monkeys.

Thanks
post #41 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Stay up until 11 or 12 to watch the same shows that are on the regular channels at 7 or 8? Why can't MTSHD have feeds where the HD versions of the shows come on at the same time as the Non-Hd versions? Is that so much to ask? Tell me there is some sort of technical reason for this otherwise I will have to believe that there is no-one running MTS, and all of the management positions have been filled by monkeys.
That's exactly the reason why I'm staying away from MTS HD right now, and might even switch my TV service to Shaw or Starchoice. The Seattle feeds are useless to me. I'm not prepared to stay up past midnight just to watch in HD what I could have watched is SD at 10pm. It's useless, really. That, and no TSN HD makes the entire package unappealing.

I drove by a billboard for MTS with the woman "jumping" with her non-existant horse over an obstacle, and underneath it says "Missing anything on TV?" I thought, "Yeah, I'm missing HD because of your lame Seattle feeds". GG MTS. All Shaw has to do is jump on this and win over a multitude of MTS customers.
post #42 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 01:02 PM

I was also puzzled by MTS' choice for the U.S. HD feeds. A few days ago I stopped by the MTS kiosk in Polo Park to see if they HD hooked up (they didn't). The guy there said that they had agreements in place to carry the SD feeds from Seattle and it was easy to add HD. He said that since they already carrry TSN and Discovery in SD, they are probably pretty easy to negotiate the HD channels.

He didn't have any info on when they might add U.S. Eastern HD feeds, but did say the reason they weren't carrying them now is because the channels they carry now like Rochester don't have HD. I guess it's a matter of working out the agreements to carry other stations. I think there are CRTC rules that prevent them from adding another U.S. affiliate until the contract from the current one expires.

My guess is that they will add CTV, TSN and Discovery all at the same time since they are all owned by CTV.
post #43 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Not true. Winnipeg has WUHF FOX SD and WJBK FOX HD. I'm assuming they are not getting HD feeds from Detroit because they don't want to use CANCOM as their source.
post #44 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Not true. Winnipeg has WUHF FOX SD and WJBK FOX HD. I'm assuming they are not getting HD feeds from Detroit because they don't want to use CANCOM as their source.
Yeah, I don't really see how else it would be an issue, seeing as Shaw has the eastern feeds. In any case, I know of atleast 4 MTS customers (plus myself) who are holding off on MTS HD right now because of the Seattle feed/no TSN issues.
post #45 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Saw this on the CRTC sat list web page:
Quote:
Licensees may not distribute the signal of more than one affiliate of the same commercial U.S. network, received from a licensed SRDU, unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a condition of licence
Any idea where MTS is getting their existing feeds?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in