It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Thanks for the input. So you could have 1 HD and 3 SD channels at one time. So if each TV was using one channel then you could have four televisions.

If that's the case, can we assume that a dual tuner HD PVR is out of the question?
LOL. That was a rhetorical question right?

I have no idea if Motorola is planning an integrated PVR. I haven't seen any info on it. Qwest is a telco in the US that has a couple of cities with the same technology. They've had HD out for a few months now.

I think a dual tuner HD PVR is possible when either MPEG4 or VDSL2 is available, but we won't see it for a while.

Yes you could have 4 TVs. Technically, you could have more but you could only have 1 HD and 3 different SD streams active at the same time.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2006-08-24 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 11:23 PM

Okay not sure to compliment MTS or talk about the shortcomings. Okay it was probally a speed record for MTS in implementing HD. They are one of the slowest moving companies in Canada. So kudo`s for getting out HD in record time.
While on the other hand the shortcoings are a lot. Why on earth would you not have a DVI/HDMI option. I have compared DVI and Component and to my eyes DVI is superior ( I have StarChoice DSR505HD). It is so stuipd not to have this option espically if you are buying the damn thing. Before you even start you are leap years behind the the rest of the gang (StarChoice, Bell and Shaw the HD options in Manitoba) Having to use 2 remotes to get the box working is plain stuipd.

The programming will change in time and it is the first shot at it, compettion is good. Now we see why Shaw has introduced more HD channels in Western Canada. MTS you will need to get a better box and more channels to catch up, again time will tell. I will be staying with StarChoice for the time being moving would be going backwards in technology.

Last edited by canada45; 2006-08-24 at 11:31 PM.
post #18 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 11:37 PM

There are some issues with the service, the not having HDMI is annoying, not because I think HDMI has better video quality, it's just that I have no open component inputs. However in saying that, since MTS seems to contract exclusively with Motorola for these boxes it is possible that Motorola just doesn't have an HD box that MTS can use that has an HDMI port or if they do its purchase price may be higher then what MTS wants to ask for it.

As for HDMI being far superior then component, that isn't always true, GLUDE made a post in one of the other MTS HD topics speaking on that matter.

post #19 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 11:55 PM

My biggest issues stem from the price of the box PLUS installation, and the lack of channels, not to mention needing two set top boxes. MTS isn't even trying to compete with Shaw right now.
post #20 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel
My biggest issues stem from the price of the box PLUS installation, and the lack of channels, not to mention needing two set top boxes. MTS isn't even trying to compete with Shaw right now.
I agree, I was so looking forward to MTS becoming more competitive with Shaw. However, these HD offerings are quite meager and I don't see why Shaw would even worry.
post #21 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 12:31 AM

Its great that MTS is the leader of the IPTV providers in HD, but there selection, doesn't make sense, MTS is Winnipeg, Winnipeg is Central Time Zone, Seattle is Pacific, 2 hours later. That means you have to wait till 9:00 - 12:00 for you prime time slots. And you can't even fix that problem with Canadian nets, as they only have CBC Toronto, which honestly, carries basically nothing for American programming, as CBC is government, and gov. is CRTC, and CRTC pushes the Cancon. act.

Couldn't they have picked up the detroit feeds for Cancom (star choice network) or Bell's Boston HD's ??

This is a waste of time unless, does MTS TV offer HD PVR's yet (probably not) so your waiting till 9 to get you HD shows. That pretty useless...
post #22 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 09:01 AM

Question - what feeds and channels does Shaw have?
post #23 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 09:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
Question - what feeds and channels does Shaw have?
According to shaw.ca Winnipeg HD channels include:

CBC Toronto, CTV West
ABC West, CBS West, Fox West, NBC West, PBS West
Movie Central

and in the "Plus Pack"
CTV East, TSN HD, Sportsnet HD and Discovery HD

That's up to 12 channels; MTS is starting with 7:

CBC Toronto
ABC West, CBS West, Fox West, NBC West, PBS West
Sportsnet HD

So it's a start. Presumably both Movie Central and Discovery are hihg on the list to add.
post #24 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck999999 View Post
There are some issues with the service, the not having HDMI is annoying, not because I think HDMI has better video quality, it's just that I have no open component inputs. However in saying that, since MTS seems to contract exclusively with Motorola for these boxes it is possible that Motorola just doesn't have an HD box that MTS can use that has an HDMI port or if they do its purchase price may be higher then what MTS wants to ask for it.

As for HDMI being far superior then component, that isn't always true, GLUDE made a post in one of the other MTS HD topics speaking on that matter.
Although the Motorola box doesn't have HDMI or DVI that should not be a deal breaker. In many cases component looks better than digital on certain displays. The beauty of component though is that it is easier to record HD component signals to a HTPC as the copyright restrictions are not in play. That is why most upconverting DVD players are not allowed to upscale on their component outputs.

I applaud MTS for at least getting the HD service up and running. Not like Bell Canada which is dragging their feet and has no HD service for their MDU service (exact same service).

John

BEV 6131, 9242
DishPro LNB/Multiswitch
post #25 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_marin View Post
The beauty of component though is that it is easier to record HD component signals to a HTPC as the copyright restrictions are not in play.
Record them How? There is not a single video input card on the market that accepts HD component signals.

However I am pleased that MTS has made the leap to HD. We desperately need real competition in the market place to keep Shaw on it's toes. I hope other telco's out west follow in their foot steps. Some of us don't want ugly dishes on our houses. MTS is new to HD, I am sure things will improve with time.

Componet only should not be a game stopper. ON my 50 inch HD TV once both component and HDMI are calibrated there is virtually no difference in PQ.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper."Ben Franklin
post #26 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post

However I am pleased that MTS has made the leap to HD. We desperately need real competition in the market place to keep Shaw on it's toes. I hope other telco's out west follow in their foot steps. Some of us don't want ugly dishes on our houses. MTS is new to HD, I am sure things will improve with time.
But it isn't competitive, really. Less channels, and some key HD channels missing (TSN anyone?) plus a more expensive and more cumbersome installation makes it a no-brainer. I was really hoping MTS would wow me, and they pretty much bolloxed it up.
post #27 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Derfel, as an HD oldtimer, I suggest you take this as really good news.

Sure its not the best offering and not the best price, however, the good news is MTS is trying and starting to offer it.

I think you'll find that in the next 12 to 18 months things will change.

Remember less than 3% of all households in Canada subscribe to HD programming. The fact that these companies are even bothering when 97% of the population could care less is promising.

post #28 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 11:43 AM

I guess. It just doesn't seem like anyone would subscribe for this service. All the people I've been talking to for the last few months about this agree - MTS really haven't offered an appealing package here. This gives nil incentive for Shaw to change their offering either.
post #29 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 12:20 PM

As an early adopter of the MTS HD service I can tell you that the component vs. HDMI is a non-issue, at least on my set. The component signal looks brilliant and in my previous experience, HDMI did not provide a noticable difference to the component hook-up.

I agree that the Pacific Time nature of the American networks is bothersome (or will be when the new seasons start) but for live broadcasts it works just fine - the golf alone was worth it. As for the channel selection, I was led to understand that it is a matter of contract negotiation for channels like TSN and Discovery: I expect it made sense for them to launch with the stations they had access to and build from there. I also expect Shaw didn't have the whole line-up they have now when they launched HD... give MTS some time.
post #30 of 134 (permalink) Old 2006-08-25, 12:54 PM

I'm certainly not too worried about component/HDMI (although it would have been nicer), but the lack of key channels and the time-zone thing is just too much for myself and others I know to sign on to MTS HD, or even to stay with them rather than trying other places. I was really hoping that MTS would break some new ground with their offering and put Shaw on notice, but instead they might have handed Shaw a bit of a gift here, certainly a break...

Last edited by Derfel; 2006-08-25 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in