MTS TV Incompatable with Internet? (or routers) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

MTS TV Incompatable with Internet? (or routers)

I just got a call from my mom in Winnipeg. They have MTS TV as well as MTS ADSL. When I upgraded their computer last year to Windows XP, I also installed a router for them for firewall purposes.

Apparently their TV service went out yesterday, and the MTS tech said it had to do with the router, and that the router may have to go. Myself, I am very uncomfortable with having any computer hard wired to the internet; let alone one that I am trying to support from 1300 km away. (It's not like I can pop over for Sunday dinner and rebuild their computer for them.)

Has anybody else heard of this? I would think between Sasktel and MTS they would have subscribers that have TV and Internet, and surely a good number of people would have routers.

FWIW, I did give them my "good" router; my 3 year old bullet proof Linksys.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 11:47 AM

So if it worked for awhile and then stopped yesterday what makes you think it is the router (other than the CS dingbat saying so)?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Good question Jake. I just called my mom back to ask. Now I have the whole story.

Apparently the STB for the TV broke down, so MTS sent the tech out with a brand new state of the are STB as a replacement. That was Wednesday. Thursday, my parents lost both TV and internet, and MTS sent another tech out this morning. This tech said they were having compatability issues with the new STB and routers. My question was if a different brand of router might help. Apparently my mom asked the same question, and the MTS guy said the issue was in the STB's.

As a resolution the MTS tech was able to locate an older STB for them, so everything is now up and running fine.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 12:14 PM

SO I guess they are OK till the next upgrade. I wonder what could have caused this? Fragmeted packets maybe, closed ports?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Ken, out of interest, what brand/model of STB was in service and what is the new one?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

I will see if I can find out. (You are concerned about Telus TV, I presume?)

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 07:42 PM
Veteran

Yes. But on a general level I'm interested to what the Telco's can bring to the table technology wise.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-24, 03:28 PM

I've been an MTS TV/Internet subscriber for close to a year now.
MTS installed a Motorola/Next Level RG2200 (for residential gateway) set top box.
I'd be curious to know if there is updated technology being put in the new installations these days.

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...&productID=368
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-24, 08:05 PM
Veteran

Yeah I remember researching that box. A single box for the entire home right? Both TV and Internet? Conceptually, one would think that's the way to go. Too bad Motorola bought Next Level out. I don't think Motorola gets their new products to market fast enough (and without problems). Looks all this one needs is to be MPEG4 with component/HDMI outs.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-25, 12:33 PM

Yes, one box connects TV and internet. At my apartment, I have two TVs and one laptop hooked up to the box.

Agreed that mpeg4 and hdmi outs are really the only things missing. It does have an s-video out which I'm using for picture on my main TV. My second TV is HDTV and I can't take full advantage of it right now with this set-up.

I'm hoping the rumoured upgrade to HDTV will bring a new box with those features to subscribers.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-25, 07:08 PM

I was helping my aunt setup her dsl connection for her and i put an old router i had, worked perfectly for me, just needed a new wireless one, but i couldn't get it to work on hers. went through the instructions they gave her and somewhere in there it says there is only one router that is compatible with MTS. i forget what it was but call mts and demand the router for free or threaten to switch to shaw for better security since you can use any router.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2005-10-25, 07:32 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
on the topic of MTS STB's - I was in a MTS connect store and some guy was bringing back his MTS TV box and for a second I thought he was in the wrong store - it looked EXACTLY like a Shaw DCT 2500 except it said MTS where it says Motorola, and on the back it had all the same connections except it had a couple extra phone jacks

anyone know about this box?

Thanks
Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-01-23, 04:46 PM

New box

MTS recently switched over from the RG2200 Motorola/Next Level box to the RG2400 Motorola box. It looks VERY similar to Shaw's boxes but it is basically the same as the 2200 but with newer insides. My best guess would be that the 2200 boxes exterior was designed by Next Level and the 2400 (the first update to it since Motorola acquired the company) is using the standard Motorola casing.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-01-26, 05:57 PM

I signed up for MTS TV in August 2005 and received an RG2400.

I have a similar setup with a router plugged into the rg2400 and I found that I could crash it on demand using Bittorrent.

The problem seems to be that the rg2400 can't handle a high number of connections when the router (currently a linksys befsr41 v.3) is connected to it in 100Mbps Full Duplex. I tried my old router (smc 700abr) which has a 10Mbps Half Duplex WAN port and the crashing was eliminated.

It is possible to tell what mode the rg2400 is running by going into the configuration menu. I believe you press the menu button on the rg2400, press the Info button on the remote, and then go into one of the info screens. I can't remember which one.

That's a long, frustrating story made quite short.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-02-03, 01:55 PM

A Linksys befsr41??

I went though three of those myself before I gave up and built a linux based router. Mine couldn't handle the throughput - it kept overheating and locking up.

You might also try disabling multicast forwarding or blocking the IP range of 224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255 (this is the multicast IP range used by IPTV) on your router. It should prevent your router from needlessly processing the packets destined for your settop box.

Last edited by Jake; 2006-02-03 at 08:54 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in