MTS TV Incompatable with Internet? (or routers) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 10:24 AM

AirPort Extreme Base Station Versus RG2200

Gentlemen.

I just found your forum and wonder if you can help.

My wife and I have recently installed a new iMac in our home office. In the process we reorganized the layout and the computer is now located too far away from our DSL cable to effectively hard connect to it. I wish to avoid rerunning the cable, as this would require ceiling tile removal (once again) in the basement and drilling more holes through the hardwood floor. and there is no where to hide any extension in the room itself.

We decided that this would be an opportune time to go wireless for our DSL connection and since the iMac came preinstalled with AirPort, chose an AirPort Extreme Base Station, partly to avoid any compatability issues and the Base Station styling had appeal.

Our DSL service is from MTS and is fed through a Motorola RG2200 Residential Gateway Box (2nd generatioin we think). From this point it got very interesting. We started by setting up the DSL connection directly to the computer and got everything working perfectly. We then set up the AirPort Extreme Base Station and found it keeps looking for the PPPoE host until the connect attempt times out. The Techs at Apple have been super with their support. MTS is another story.

Our first call to MTS advised us there should be no problems with the AirPort Extreme Base Station and the RG2200 and we must have done something wrong with the setup. An hour later still no success. In the meantime we have the Base Station tested at the local Apple Service Center. Works perfectly. Back to MTS. This time they tell us this is a known issue, that AirPort Express Base Stations will not work at all with the RG2200 and that in order to get the AirPort Extreme Base Station to work, we will have to have the Firmware rolled back to Version 5.7 or earlier.

Another two hour phone consult with Apple last night (we are now all the way back to Firmware version 5.5.1) and the Base Station still cannot find the PPPoE host. Going back to Shaw is becoming very tempting.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the AirPort Extreme Base Station and the MTS RG2200 System? My wife's cousin works for MTS and have the same MTS TV system. They added a linkSys??? wireless system to their home office last year and it took a week for them to get it to work properly.

There is apparently a third generation Gateway System now being used by MTS, but they are insisting at this point to charge us for the upgrade, and we still cannot find out if this would even solve the problem.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Regards,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 05:12 PM

AirPort Extreme Base Station

I saw this problem with MTS RG2200 and AirPort Extreme Base Station on a newsgroup. Apparently there is a specific problem with AirPort Extreme and some DSL ISPs. The solution was to use firmware 5.4. Here is a reference to the problem on CNET. http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6126-0....sageID=1668367

I think the DSL log in should be done on the router and not on the MAC (that's the way it works in the PC world.)

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as generations go. The only versions of VDSL that I'm aware of MTS using are:

RG2200 - 3 SDTV + Internet. Included with MTSTV service. Purple curved front.
RG2400 - as above. Black rectangular
RG3000 - 1 HDTV only. Purchased by user.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 07:20 PM

Dr. Dave.

Thank you so much for the information. I will pass it on to the tech at Apple I was working with when he gets back to the office on the weekend.

This has been quite an initiation to the wonderful world of home Wi-Fi!!!

Best regards,

David

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 11:21 PM

AirPort Extreme Base Station

Hello David,

I live in Winnipeg too and MTS is our internet and TV provider. I just purchased a Mac Book Pro and wanted to buy a Apple airport extreme base station from Advance. They wouldn't sell it to me saying "It will not work with MTS". I am stuck. I do not want the MTS Home Network package ($99.00) which features a Siemens router. I did some checking and this router is not worth the money. Did you get your Apple Air Port Extreme to work?? Anyone have any other suggestions??

Cory
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-09-26, 12:41 PM

As far as I know, any router should work with MTS Internet.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-09-26, 06:46 PM

I hope so because I just ordered a new Apple Airport Extreme from the Apple store. I will let you know when it arrives.

Cory
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-10-01, 09:52 PM

My Apple Airport Extreme base station arrived and after a brief set up (5 minutes) it works flawlessly. Both the range and the speed are more than I expected. I was told it that it would not work with MTS but that is not true!

Cory
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-10-07, 01:04 PM

To the OP, It's your lucky day... I had similair issue with TTV... When you setup the router at your moms place make 100% sure multi-casting is turned off.....What can / does happen is if multi-casting is on in your router your router see's it as a possible attack. In other words your router starts eating the packets for your MTS TV service.... In other words you start getting huge packet loss at the digital terminal for what looks like no real reason.....causing your TV service to go out....

If MTS offers a decent modem / router combo I would advise probably using that instead...Unless you lots time on your hands to sit and watch your router and digital terminals....

This is one case where normally crappy modem / router combo's all the sudden become your best friend....even more so if your not experianced at networking.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-11-04, 10:57 PM

MTS STB and Airport Extreme

I know others have gotten the Extreme to work with MTS, but it won't work with my STB which is a Next Level 2200N30000. I had a similar problem with my older bubble Extreme (802.11g) and got it to work by downgrading the firmware to v5.4. Mark.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-11-05, 11:42 AM

MTS STB Incompatible with Airport Extreme

Just as a follow-up to my previous post, the MTS tech support people are telling me that their STBes (I have a 2200N30000, which they were calling an RG2200) are incompatible with my new Airport Extreme (Gigabit Ethernet) router. They suggested that I run a Linksys router in front of the Airport. Mark
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 04:40 PM

call them again and request a technician to swap a RG2400 stb before you get another router...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in