Bell MTS Whole Home Wi-Fi - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mbhydro

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Bell MTS Whole Home Wi-Fi

I've seen ads for Bell MTS Whole Home Wi-Fi for the last few months. The service was introduced in Ontario and Quebec in 2018.

Bell has partnered with Plume to deliver new access points, called pods, to extend Wi-Fi coverage throughout the home using a mesh network.

Whole Home Wi-Fi
Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs

6-pack rental $5/month, additional pods are $2/month each.

Note that the app that allows you to manage the internet doesn't work with MTS yet. Bell in Ontario charges $5/month for only 4 pods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 11:14 AM

Does this system use power wiring to distribute the signal? Or, is the power plug only used to power the node?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

The power outlet only powers the pod. It's a Wi-Fi mesh network, which means the Wi-Fi signal can be relayed from pod to pod.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-21, 09:06 AM

Just wondering would a pod be able to be installed outside in an in-use cover (the ones with the bubble)? I had one of my friends ask my thoughts about doing this as he wants better coverage on his deck so his wife can use her tablet outside.

BellMTS's web page says they are not certified for outdoor use but I am thinking that they are not certified to be out there unprotected with the normal flap style outdoor receptacle.

The in-use cover would keep it dry but may trap in heat on a hot day.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-21, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

@mbhydro If the deck is attached to the house, they should be able to plug a pod on or near the exterior wall. If the deck is long, they could even use 2 pods at opposite ends of the deck.

I looked up the info on the Plume site and found the following, which means the in-use cover will probably trap too much heat. They could keep that idea as a last resort if nothing else works. A cover with a larger opening at the bottom is probably better for heat dissipation, keeping in mind there will be at least a small opening for the electrical cord, which should be kept open.

Operating Requirements
Temperature: 32 - 95 F (0 - 35C)
Humidity: 10% - 90% relative

More info: Can I plug a pod outdoors?
Quote:
We recommend that you keep your Plume pods inside and away from rain or moisture. If you want to improve Wi-Fi coverage in your outdoor space, we suggest that you place a pod just inside your door or take it outside only when you need it for a get together.
They may need additional pods between the exterior wall and the router to relay the signal. From the Bell MTS FAQ:
Quote:
Once moved, pods require a minimum of 10 minutes to recalibrate their connection to the rest of the network. Allow for up to 48 hours for full optimization.
They can rent them or a month for $5 to see if it works well in their situation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-21, 11:29 AM
Veteran

The best way to use these pods is to install them half way between the router and the dead zone. For longer distances, placing two of them at 1/3 intervals may be required. The pods themselves need to be placed where they will receive a good signal from the router and provide a good signal to the dead zone or additional pod. For outside areas, placing them on an adjacent inside wall may be best. They should not be placed in a dead zone because that will simply create a strong signal with a slow or unusable connection between the pod and the router.

Reception in outside areas may be difficult due to materials in outside walls that block RF signals. For difficult areas it may be necessary to use a Powerline adapter such as the TP-Link TL-WPA8630 kit. The wifi pod would be placed in or near the dead zone with the main unit connected directly to the main router. If placed outside, it would need to be protected from moisture, heat and sunlight.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-21, 03:53 PM

thanks Dr. Dave and ExDilbert for the suggestions. I'm going to talk to my friend later today so I'll pass on your comments.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 08:07 PM

Just thought I would update to say that when I dropped over to my friends we checked the Pace box settings and found the WIFI power was for some reason on the lowest setting. Bumping it up to mid range seemed to eliminate the problem of no WiFi on their deck.

At this point it looks like they don't need the pods.
Dr.Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in