wifi phone - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Analog coverage in the early 00's was pretty much all of southwestern Ontario. There were some gaps farther east. Algonquin park was a dead zone and probably still is. I recall talking to a coworker who was out on his boat on Lake Huron. There are mostly just towns and villages along there. Digital coverage never matched analog and probably still doesn't. I tried Rogers then and their coverage disappeared a few miles out of any city or large town. Switched to Bell and I always had coverage even if it was analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 11:47 PM

I have an old MTS iPhone and did a BYOD Family Plan add on on Bell Mobility with it and it has Wi-Fi calling settings, so it doesn't have to be a Bell Mobility Device. Just one that is not carrier restricted...

Same for my MTS note 4...and iPhone 7 Plus.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-17, 10:07 AM
Veteran

To answer both of your questions, the reason Analog phones worked well back in the day is a lot of them had higher transmitter power levels, nearly double of what gsm phones are capable of. That helped with coverage, but it also drained battery life. But a lot of people also think stronger transmit power related to higher chances of getting brain cancer which has not been proven. Secondly, wifi calling is carrier specific so yes an unlocked rogers phone with wifi calling may not be able to get the wifi calling to work if u used it on bell, but I Phones are the only exception, the wifi calling seems to work universally on all carriers regardless, maybe its an apple specific thing

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-17, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Analog phones worked well back in the day is a lot of them had higher transmitter power levels, nearly double of what gsm phones are capable of
There's more to it than that. Back in the analog days, towers tended to be higher, making them useful over a greater range. Also, time is the limiting factor in GSM. There's a maximum time that the mobile can be from the tower and still maintain proper frame timing. There's a special GSM framing that provides double the time & distance, for use in remote areas. The downside it the channel capacity is cut in half. I believe it was used in the Australian outback and in Scandinavia. Also, one of the advantages with digital is that it doesn't require the same power level as analog to get a good signal. We're seeing the same thing with digital vs analog TV.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-17, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Wifi calling should works regardless of the phone. VoIP is a well known, widely adopted standard. I can't imagine that Android would not support it. The issue with some phones not working is likely either because it was not implemented by the phone maker or carriers are playing games to get people to locked into expensive plans.

Bell's good analog coverage was partly due to power but more due to service commitments. They have gone from a company that serves everyone in their service areas, as they did with POTS, to a company that only serves people who provide the most profit. That means that high density areas with lower infrastructure costs per customer and rich customers such as big business get the best service. At the other end of the scale, low density areas with poor customers get substandard service or no service at all. As a company that strives to maximize profit that makes sense but as a public utility it's a breach of trust.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 09:08 AM
Veteran

Wi-Fi calling is not VoIP, its UMA/GAN based, and yes I want wi-fi calling to work on as many handsets as possible, but my carrier does not allow for it. When I get my next handset in a few months, I will get one with Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE built in and I will keep it for as long as possible like I did with my previous handset.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 10:30 AM
Veteran

^^^^
WiFi calling is related to Voice over LTE (VoLTE) which is voice over IP adapted to the LTE network. It is then encrypted with IPSec for privacy. So yes, it is fundamentally VoIP.

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 08:46 AM
Veteran

I recently checked some friends phones and found most don't have VoLTE enabled. Enabling it will provide better call quality on some calls.

A Google search will reveal whether a phone supports VoLTE and how to enable it. Same for WiFi calling.

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-03-05, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Two years after they said they didn’t, Toronto police admit they use Stingray cellphone snooping device

As I mentioned above, VoLTE uses IPSec encryption. This means the entire SIP/RTP call is encrypted so that they can't eavesdrop on calls or even get dialed numbers. Of course, if you're using WiFi calling, this "Stingray" device likely won't have access to the call at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in