Bell MTS Fibre to the Home - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Bell MTS Fibre to the Home

Has anyone heard if Bell plans to introduce Bell Fibe to Winnipeg?

MTS never offered Fibre Optic to most of Winnipeg...only new developments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 10:02 AM

I wound not expect it anytime soon.

A number of years ago MTS upgraded a large part of Winnipeg with new copper in advance of MTS TV coming in. Until that copper cable gets really bad I can't see Bell spending the millions it would cost to change the copper out.

And then when it is done it will be a multi year process depending on when the copper was installed. my part of East Kildonan had new copper installed two years before my buddy's back lane in Transcona was changed so I would expect any Fibre upgrade would be on the same time table.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 11:45 AM

Just to be clear - Bell Fibe internet is their brand name that applies to both FTTN and FTTH. Fibe TV is the same as MTS Ultimate TV.

Bell announced that will launch Gigabit internet, but that will probably only apply to existing FTTH areas.

The only Winnipeg FTTH area they announced so far is Innovation Alley covering 4 city blocks in Winnipeg's West Exchange District.
see: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/193-...ml#post2827129

Note: I changed to title for clarification.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 05:23 PM

From the MTS community forum, an employee post backs up what mbhydro is saying:

Quote:
Andy, Employee

Mark, thank you for your post. Generally, MTS bases its decision on whether we deploy FiON in an area based on what type of last mile access is available. In new areas, we deploy only fiber cable so FiON service is a given. In areas where only copper cable is deployed to the last mile, we use DSL technology. In some communities we will opt to migrate the entire community over from copper to fiber. You have provided some examples like The Pas, Thompson and Dauphin, Selkirk would be another example.

The decision to convert an entire community to FiON is generally based on the condition of the cable that is in the ground. Copper cables have an expected life span which we factor in as part of our analysis for return on investment. This is no different than any investment you would make in your own household, a car for example has an expected service life and you fix it until it simply isn’t worth fixing anymore. Once it has exceeded its expected service life, you buy a new one. The condition of the copper plant in the Pembina Valley area is generally still good, there are of course exceptions and we have done fiber migrations as needed and you have noted those areas already. But to answer your question simply, there are no immediate plans to convert the entire community over to FiON.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in