Bell to buy MTS for $3.9 billion (approved) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 08:55 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 09:45 AM

From the above link:
Quote:
At the time, rumours swirled around Ottawa and the investment community that the deal would sail smoothly and swiftly to approval. After all, Bell had assured regulators it would take steps to preserve the competitive balance, and had promised the public it would invest in improving the quality and reach of Manitobaís networks. MTS shareholders ó who mainly reside out of province ó were quick to signal their support for the deal in June, expecting windfall returns thanks to the hefty premium Bell was offering.

Not everyone was so enthusiastic when the transaction was announced. Consumers, public interest groups and academics were quick to poke holes in Bellís paper-thin claims about the benefits of the takeover. MTSís financial performance was not suffering as some claimed, but was on par with, or even better, than Bellís (this continues to be true as of the companiesí third-quarter reports). Bellís investment promises turned out to be only marginally larger than what MTS was already planning, and their promises to help rural Manitobans rang hollow in light of the scores of public complaints that Bell persistently ignores rural communities in its existing territory.

Perhaps the biggest sticking point with the deal is one promise on which Bell is sure to deliver: if approved, the prices Manitobans pay for wireless service and home Internet will go up ó way up.
post #108 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-20, 11:40 PM

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-487 TV portion approved with no special conditions or restrictions.

MTS Press Release: MTS receives approval from CRTC on transfer of Broadcast Distribution Undertaking
Bell Press Release: CRTC approves transfer of MTS broadcasting licence to Bell
Quote:
Expected to close in early 2017, the Bell MTS transaction has been approved by MTS shareholders, the Manitoba courts and the CRTC, and is subject to approval by the Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED).
The real issue is the transfer of the wireless spectrum and the removal of Manitoba's largest wireless competitor, which will be reviewed by ISED.

post #109 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-24, 09:30 PM

Here we go.....the positive side of this is it will bring newer technology to Manitobans. How long before the HH 3000 is released in Manitoba. BA released it in November and it's a great modem.
post #110 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-24, 10:27 PM

Bell to buy MTS for $3.9 billion

First it's got to be approved by the Competiton Bureau and ISED. Read the article.

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #111 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-25, 01:57 AM

Yuppp, but at this point you know it will be.
post #112 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-25, 02:38 AM

Your not even an mts customer so why does it matter to you if it's approved or not as you live in St Johns??
mdl122 likes this.

post #113 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-25, 06:34 PM

I like to know what's going on in the world around me and the latest news, geeze didn't think that was a crime.
post #114 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-25, 11:55 PM

What I mean is you have no idea of Manitoba cellular market. This deal as is will make us go from 4 carriers down to 3. The CRTC only looked at the tv broadcast license. The bigger regulatory approvals will be CB and ISED as the CRTC is not looking at the cell phone side of things. Please do more research into this and than you will understand things better. Now don't get me wrong I'm not against Bell buying MTS I just want a competitive marketplace. Thanks and happy holidays!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wmjfoley85 likes this.

post #115 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 12:21 AM

Yea, I knew about the 4 Wireless carriers down to 3. I hope that this issue is resolved there one way or another. Merry Christmas !
post #116 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 03:48 AM
Veteran

So the fact that we live in another province but our first 28 years were in MB and have family and friends still there and just visited a few months ago means we should be ignorant or are.
post #117 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Anderson suggests more competition between providers in Canada would help bring down prices and ease data limits.
Canada among the 'most expensive mobile data countries,' report says - Business - CBC News
post #118 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 05:00 AM

Greed

post #119 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-27, 04:29 PM

Yes sir, and thats why I don't have a cell phone, when I can get one for the same price as my home phone then I'll switch, already paying MTS $300/month( home phone, tv, internet and partners cell phone) and don't plan on spending a cent more, prices go up I just drop a few TV channels.
post #120 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-12-27, 05:11 PM
Veteran

$300 seems excessive. Like the song says, "You gotta shop around."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in